PCF Cigars (7 Viewers)

So what’s with all these numbers after the cigar name? AF 8-5-8, Cain F 550…etc

My throat sure is feeling it today after that big (for me) Perdomo Champagne stick last night! Ugh.
A little gargle with some Listerine before bed, after an evening of enjoying fine stogies will help knock down some of what your throat may be feeling.

858 is a tribute to Arturo Fuente. He passed away at 85 years old so his son named it that as a way of expressing eternal love for him. They call it 858 so the number 85 would be legible from both directions.

858 is a tribute to Arturo Fuente. He passed away at 85 years old so his son named it that as a way of expressing eternal love for him. They call it 858 so the number 85 would be legible from both directions.
Nice bit of trivia there and a great tribute, never knew the story behind the name only that they're some top sticks.

So “858” should clearly be on the box? I found all kinds of AF, but no “858” anywhere.

Thanks, but I have to be missing something. I searched or “858” which resulted in two different AF cigars:

1B978B5D-1873-4ABD-935C-3420F12266AB.png

But the “8-5-8” is listed under “products” for both cigars.

I see now that 8-5-8 is on one of the boxes, but I’m still confused.

(pls forgive my ignorance & thx for the help)

Thanks, but I have to be missing something. I searched or “858” which resulted in two different AF cigars:

View attachment 778589

858 is a 6" and 47 ring gauge cigar. You are seeing different sizes under the different options.

The 858 is going to come in several varieties, Claro, Natural, Sun Grown, Maduro etc.

I'm a big fan of Maduro cigars - your tastes will vary.

View attachment 778589

Click on Gran reserva and you can choose natural or maduro 858

Looks like I forgot to snag a pic but enjoyed a great plasencia alma fuerte, been one of my favorite heavier sticks recently. People that like maduros and a fuller smoke should definitely give it a try!

Had my first Cohiba Robusto and Siglo VI the other night. Shared them with the other half so we could compare. Draw on the Robusto was terrible but flavor was fine. Very similar to the HdM Epicure 2, just more expensive. The Siglo VI was as smooth as silk with a very mild-medium flavor profile. If they weren’t so crazy expensive I’d think about getting more of them.

Just a noob question about the Cuban cigar.
The import embargo in the USA is over?
If yes since when ?

Had my first Cohiba Robusto and Siglo VI the other night. Shared them with the other half so we could compare. Draw on the Robusto was terrible but flavor was fine. Very similar to the HdM Epicure 2, just more expensive. The Siglo VI was as smooth as silk with a very mild-medium flavor profile. If they weren’t so crazy expensive I’d think about getting more of them.
V-Cut should help with the draw on the Robusto.

Just a noob question about the Cuban cigar.
The import embargo in the USA is over?
If yes since when ?
I don’t think the embargo is fully over. I believe in 2012 or 2014 the United States eased the restrictions on cigars and alcohol one could bring into the country for personal consumption.
I think at first it was up to $100 dollars and then it was eased to what is deemed for personal use.
Still can’t buy these products directly in the United States but it’s become much easier to have them shipped in via Europe and other overseas destinations.

I don’t think the embargo is fully over. I believe in 2012 or 2014 the United States eased the restrictions on cigars and alcohol one could bring into the country for personal consumption.
I think at first it was up to $100 dollars and then it was eased to what is deemed for personal use.
Still can’t buy these products directly in the United States but it’s become much easier to have them shipped in via Europe and other overseas destinations.

If I send Cuban cigars from France to someone in the USA.
Are you risking something by receiving them?

So on last night’s AF there was this additional wrapper. I’m assuming this is to protect the wrapper around the stick, but thought I would ask you guys what it’s for.

View attachment 781919
Theoretically it's there to absorb moisture and to protect the oil on the wrapper leaf but I've never seen (or noticed) any evidence to prove it does anything. Some people like to keep the cedar around because they like the woody smell and its roughly the same wood used to make most humidors but once again I don't know if the math really adds up there.

Most folks I know won't even store their cigars in them because mold can build under them and its hard to tell. If you're managing RH well this probably isn't actually a problem with the cedar cases but with the metal tubes it 100% can be.

For the most part its a presentation gimmick and you can toss it. If you want a stick that has a similar (but much more fun!) gimmick I actually find that all of the Leaf by Oscar sticks in lancero are quite good.

If you want a stick that has a similar (but much more fun!) gimmick I actually find that all of the Leaf by Oscar sticks in lancero are quite good.
I'm curious if anyone else has had a bunch of Leaf by Oscar they're not my favorite stick (probably a 6.5 or 7 for the better wrappers) but something that is interesting about them is that they definitely give me the least cotton mouth of any stick I've had and they do so consistently (10+ times). Anyone else experience this?

Lots of interviews with Nick Perdomo on YouTube. He talks about the super gordo line in one of them.

Why do you like the super gordos?

no real reason, but I wanted to try that one and really enjoyed it, I usually smoke the bigger gauges but really have no reason why

maybe I look cool....................no that's not it

some I think taste better in my opinion

It seems to me that a good cigar maker would carry over a consistent blend whether it’s a small or larger ring gage size. However, I’m thinking that a smaller ring gage size may seem more intense at times due to the smaller size and heat that occurs.

My .02

It seems to me that a good cigar maker would carry over a consistent blend whether it’s a small or larger ring gage size. However, I’m thinking that a smaller ring gage size may seem more intense at times due to the smaller size and heat that occurs.

My .02
Two things to consider:

1) Many say that ~70% of the flavor in a cigar comes from the wrapper, meaning that a smaller ring gauge cigar of the same blend will have a very different flavor from a larger ring gauge because you will get an even more exaggerated impact from the flavor of the wrapper (which makes up more of the tobacco %-wise in a narrower stick).

2) Longer sticks are harder to make because of having larger wrapper-quality leaves and thinner cigars are considered much harder as well.

Put those things together and many (myself included) consider a lancero or londsdale both tastier, a better representation of the code flavor of the blend, and a great representation of the craft being done well.

The best case I’ve personally experienced with this is the Trinidad Fundadores vs Trinidad Topes. Where the former is one of the best sticks I’ve had and the latter was a rather mild let down. Given that the blend are very similar, I attribute this mostly to the vitola.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom