PCF Cigars (9 Viewers)

Perdomo usually has a sampler pack that comes in a "travel bag" of sorts. Usually runs about $30 with 4 sticks in it.

Looks like this:

View attachment 777749

I always go for the Connecticut wrapper on these.
I think I saw the word “Connecticut” on one of the cigars I recently bought. What exactly does that mean? Mild flavor perhaps?

I think I saw the word “Connecticut” on one of the cigars I recently bought. What exactly does that mean? Mild flavor perhaps?
A Connecticut wrapper - a light golden brown. The tobacco is grown under shade, in Connecticut.

Typically these cigars will have a milder flavor profile, but not always. One of my favorite Connecticut is the Drew Estate Connecticut Undercrown Shade.

A little reading - https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/secrets-of-connecticut-shade-16347

Sup gentlemen! I just recently got into cigars (after nearly 20 yrs of cigarettes - haven’t had a drag of those in six years) and I’m wondering if it’s worth reading through all the pages in this thread.

I recently bought four cigars kept them in an air-tight food container with a Boveda pack inside it. I know I’m not going to do these cigars’ names justice, but I’ll try my best to let you know what I smoked.

First one was a Romeo y Julieta, and now after researching, I know this is a common name brand and there are several different varieties. This one was probably 6” and was very mild. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Second was a short Macanudo, and I of course (like with the Romeo y Julieta) didn’t make note of the kind, but I didn’t really care for it. Seemed to burn hot, fell apart, and wasn’t as smooth.

Third one was a Shade(?). I don’t know if that’s a name brand or what, but it was alright too! It was longer, smooth, and mild throughout, but burned a bit unevenly toward the last half.

The fourth one, I can’t remember off the top of my head, but it was probably my favorite after the Romeo y Julieta. I could almost pick up different nodes of flavor - like sweetness of some fruit and chocolate almost. Burned smooth as well and very mild. I’ll let you know what cigar this was when I get back home.

I’m going back to the cigar shop tonight to pick up a few more, and I’m once again going to ask for help and suggestions of what “mild” cigars they suggest, but thought you guys might have some suggestions as well. Again, the milder the better for this cigar rookie (for now). And I don’t mind spending a bit over $10/stick.

Any advice in general would be helpful too. Like cutters, ashtrays, a cheap beginner humidor, etc… TYIA!

Welcome to the hobby, cigars have been in my life much longer than chipping so here's an area I can actually help!

Also, what’s a good online store from which to buy? The local shop isn’t really all that close to me.
There are some big ones like neptune and JR, they have a lot of stuff but there's a huge amount to look through and it can be overwhelming. You'll find pricing varies across wherever you look, more boutique places have slightly higher prices but its worth it for the selection and custom service. To that effect, I am a fan of smallbatch, fox cigars, and cigars daily.

You can't go wrong with Perdomo Cigars. For a new smoker I always recommend the Champagne stick.

Plenty of online retailers - my favorites are small batch cigar and Tampa sweethearts.

If your a fan of the Romeo Y Julieta’s, I’d suggest going on to Ihavanas.com and ordering yourself a box of the Belicosos. They are my favorite RYJ stick and I believe would closely match your criteria. View attachment 777762View attachment 777763

That ring looks familiar.
So here's an important lesson. Because of the American embargo on Cuba, there is a strict distinction in America between Cuban cigars and all other cigars. Those pictured above, and available from ihav, are cuban Romeo y Julieta (RyJ). What you would have bought in an American cigar shop will 99.99% be a non-cuban ryj, which are almost all made in the Dominican Republic. For ryj in particular this can be seen on the band:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...ryj_reserve_real_toro2_1200x.jpg?v=1600500317
https://www.holts.com/clubhouse/sit...mage/headerimage-DiffBetweenCuban_Dom_RyJ.png

Notice the "Habana, Cuba" on one of the bands. There are many other brands like this with a Cuban and non-cuban line (such as Montecristo, Cohiba, etc etc etc). Cohiba is an example where there is no relationship between the two companies other than shared name.

In general, Cuban cigars are generally "higher-shelf" or "better." I certainly like them a lot, but its a different world and different flavor profile and don't be misled, there are hundreds of incredible cigars not from Cuba.

Cigar tobacco is classified in many different ways. I won't get into them all here but what's relevant at the moment is that there's 3 primary pieces of information that are useful for "reading" what a cigar is:

-The seed type
-Where the tobacco is grown
-How the tobacco is grown

"Connecticut" likely means it is tobacco grown in CT, with a seed that was originally brought over from Cuba or Sumatra. But you also have those same seeds grown in Ecuador and you get things like the E.P. Carrillo New Wave Connecticut which has a wrapped made with tobacco grown in Ecuador with seeds originally from CT. This is quite a common story as Ecuador has boomed as a tobacco producing country. A cigar I really like (before they recently changed the blend :( :( ) is the Oliva Serie V Melanio Maduro which has Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper with a Nicaraguan binder and filler.

"Shade" as you referenced with regard to one stick means that the tobacco is grown under some type of cover that filters out some (but obviously not all) of the harsh rays of the sun. Typically directly sun grown tobacco is stronger, has bolder flavors and a higher nicotine content but shade grown is in very high demand because it makes great looking, mild sticks that are very accessible to new cigar smokers or people smoking cigarillos.

Obviously as you continue into this hobby you will learn what you like or dont like in a cigar and how to pick out and differentiate more flavors. So when starting friends off I like to ask about some of the things that are easier to pull out. Some words common in describing cigars that I flavors I find people can pick up on quickly are "spiciness" "hay" and "nuttiness." In general you will find that sticks with dark wrappers like the Drew Estate Liga Privada or many RoMa Craft cigars are "spicier" I would recommend giving one of these a try to understand that profile. In general you find a lot of "barnyard," "hay," or "grassiness" in Cuban cigars, but I find these are also very present in Plasencia's offerings. Most of Arturo Fuente and Padron's lines have a nutty flavor and I often suggest the Arturo Fuente Gran Reserve 8-5-8 as one of the best intro cigars. My top recommendation is to pick the 858 up in a few different wrappers (claro, maduro, and natural are all pretty easy to find). Its a good intro stick, the claro is quite mild, the nuttiness and spice (cinnamon, etc) flavors are easy to pick out and its a good way to compare various wrappers.

Welcome to the hobby, cigars have been in my life much longer than chipping so here's an area I can actually help!

There are some big ones like neptune and JR, they have a lot of stuff but there's a huge amount to look through and it can be overwhelming. You'll find pricing varies across wherever you look, more boutique places have slightly higher prices but its worth it for the selection and custom service. To that effect, I am a fan of smallbatch, fox cigars, and cigars daily.

So here's an important lesson. Because of the American embargo on Cuba, there is a strict distinction in America between Cuban cigars and all other cigars. Those pictured above, and available from ihav, are cuban Romeo y Julieta (RyJ). What you would have bought in an American cigar shop will 99.99% be a non-cuban ryj, which are almost all made in the Dominican Republic. For ryj in particular this can be seen on the band:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...ryj_reserve_real_toro2_1200x.jpg?v=1600500317
https://www.holts.com/clubhouse/sit...mage/headerimage-DiffBetweenCuban_Dom_RyJ.png

Notice the "Habana, Cuba" on one of the bands. There are many other brands like this with a Cuban and non-cuban line (such as Montecristo, Cohiba, etc etc etc). Cohiba is an example where there is no relationship between the two companies other than shared name.

In general, Cuban cigars are generally "higher-shelf" or "better." I certainly like them a lot, but its a different world and different flavor profile and don't be misled, there are hundreds of incredible cigars not from Cuba.

Cigar tobacco is classified in many different ways. I won't get into them all here but what's relevant at the moment is that there's 3 primary pieces of information that are useful for "reading" what a cigar is:

-The seed type

"Connecticut" likely means it is tobacco grown in CT, with a seed that was originally brought over from Cuba or Sumatra. But you also have those same seeds grown in Ecuador and you get things like the E.P. Carrillo New Wave Connecticut which has a wrapped made with tobacco grown in Ecuador with seeds originally from CT. This is quite a common story as Ecuador has boomed as a tobacco producing country. A cigar I really like (before they recently changed the blend :( :( ) is the Oliva Serie V Melanio Maduro which has Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper with a Nicaraguan binder and filler.

"Shade" as you referenced with regard to one stick means that the tobacco is grown under some type of cover that filters out some (but obviously not all) of the harsh rays of the sun. Typically directly sun grown tobacco is stronger, has bolder flavors and a higher nicotine content but shade grown is in very high demand because it makes great looking, mild sticks that are very accessible to new cigar smokers or people smoking cigarillos.

Obviously as you continue into this hobby you will learn what you like or dont like in a cigar and how to pick out and differentiate more flavors. So when starting friends off I like to ask about some of the things that are easier to pull out. Some words common in describing cigars that I flavors I find people can pick up on quickly are "spiciness" "hay" and "nuttiness." In general you will find that sticks with dark wrappers like the Drew Estate Liga Privada or many RoMa Craft cigars are "spicier" I would recommend giving one of these a try to understand that profile. In general you find a lot of "barnyard," "hay," or "grassiness" in Cuban cigars, but I find these are also very present in Plasencia's offerings. Most of Arturo Fuente and Padron's lines have a nutty flavor and I often suggest the Arturo Fuente Gran Reserve 8-5-8 as one of the best intro cigars. My top recommendation is to pick the 858 up in a few different wrappers (claro, maduro, and natural are all pretty easy to find). Its a good intro stick, the claro is quite mild, the nuttiness and spice (cinnamon, etc) flavors are easy to pick out and its a good way to compare various wrappers.
Sorry to add on to the essay but @CRAW as @CraigT78 mentioned, Connecticut Shade is probably a very good place to start. It has those very distinct lighter colored, very smooth wrappers, should be easy to pick out in a shop. Perdomo Champaign is good, Drew Estate Undercrown Shade is good as well (I actually don't personally like most DE but its a well regarded stick)

I’m still reading and soaking in what you guys have replied - THANK YOU! It’s much appreciated.

I just made a quick run to the tobacco store (not my cigar shop) and picked up these out of their humidor. I think I might have gotten one or two you all spoke about. LMK your thoughts.

29605D07-3C66-4C8B-ADDE-98BC42808C46.jpeg

-The seed type

Excellent post @FestiveKnight! Welcome to the cigar thread.

I’m still reading and soaking in what you guys have replied - THANK YOU! It’s much appreciated.

I just made a quick run to the tobacco store (not my cigar shop) and picked up these out of their humidor. I think I might have gotten one or two you all spoke about. LMK your thoughts.

View attachment 777834
Your tobacco store has a better selection than any tobacco store I have around me.

Your tobacco store has a better selection than any tobacco store I have around me.
Really? That’s good to know!

I used to buy my smokes there, and about a year before I quit, they put in a 14’x14’ five layer walk-in humidor. It’s pretty nice for a quick stop.

I’m anxious to try that Champagne stick tonight after mowing the lawn.

That ring looks familiar.

not from your local retailer it doesn't

those are from Cuba

you are going to have to remember the names(make) of your cigars if we are to help you, romeo and Juliet is the brand, the make is what makes all the difference

Romeo and Juliet 1875 is where to start
Perdomo Champagne is a great smoke as well
also try the Chamacos

View attachment 777834

Padron - i don't know which one that is, but you can never go wrong with the 4000 - it is the most consistent stick i have ever smoked from light up to nub and from cigar to cigar- always great enjoyable cigar

note - i smoke the 7000 because i like the larger ring gauge

The fourth one, I can’t remember off the top of my head, but it was probably my favorite after the Romeo y Julieta. I could almost pick up different nodes of flavor - like sweetness of some fruit and chocolate almost. Burned smooth as well and very mild. I’ll let you know what cigar this was when I get back home.
Here’s the ring of the 4th one I referenced:

854C235B-90C9-459E-AE3D-D0A0F19AF2B7.jpeg

…and again, it just says the manufacturer - right? How am I to remember which Brick House it is?

Here’s the ring of the 4th one I referenced:

View attachment 777901

…and again, it just says the manufacturer - right? How am I to remember which Brick House it is?
Again, there’s a ton of different info to know about a stick, and you’re right, a lot isn’t on the band but there is a bunch you can figure out just looking.

The color of the wrapper (outermost leaf) will often but not always be referenced when talking about a stick. Some brands come out with most of their sticks in a variety, other lines you’re going to know what the wrapper is just by knowing the stick. Darker sticks are probably maduro (very dark oscuro) lighter sticks are probably Connecticut or claro (there’s a ton of options what to call sticks, these are broad generalizations) something in the middle will be naturals.

The combination of size and shape is called the “vitola” which again, won’t be on the band but is pretty obvious as you learn the sticks.

this chart is the best resource your can find on these two, look at it a lot.

maxresdefault-9.jpg

All that leaves in maker and line. Maker is 90% of the time on the band but info about the particular stick is must less consistent. Some sticks like the one below give you everything. It’s natural (the maduro of these is much darker), its shape is a torpedo, its made by Oliva, and lastly its the series V. Unfortunately, not all makers are that kind with info, but you should be able to get 3/4 of the way there almost all the time by reading the name on the band and knowing that chart above well

oliva-serie-v-torpedo-product-image.jpg

I figure I’m now 2/1000 posts to being the @BGinGA of PCF Cigars lol
Hey my friend, I’m enjoying the education myself. Don’t hesitate to keep the posts coming in the future.
I like to smoke the same as I like to splash pots….. with the good stuff. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Again, there’s a ton of different info to know about a stick, and you’re right, a lot isn’t on the band but there is a bunch you can figure out just looking.

The color of the wrapper (outermost leaf) will often but not always be referenced when talking about a stick. Some brands come out with most of their sticks in a variety, other lines you’re going to know what the wrapper is just by knowing the stick. Darker sticks are probably maduro (very dark oscuro) lighter sticks are probably Connecticut or claro (there’s a ton of options what to call sticks, these are broad generalizations) something in the middle will be naturals.

The combination of size and shape is called the “vitola” which again, won’t be on the band but is pretty obvious as you learn the sticks.

this chart is the best resource your can find on these two, look at it a lot.

maxresdefault-9.jpg

All that leaves in maker and line. Maker is 90% of the time on the band but info about the particular stick is must less consistent. Some sticks like the one below give you everything. It’s natural (the maduro of these is much darker), its shape is a torpedo, its made by Oliva, and lastly its the series V. Unfortunately, not all makers are that kind with info, but you should be able to get 3/4 of the way there almost all the time by reading the name on the band and knowing that chart above well

oliva-serie-v-torpedo-product-image.jpg
Bravo.

Not sure if anyone has posted them yet but Cain F 550's are probably my favourite stick currently. I'm more of a pipe smoker but don't mind the odd stogie from time to time.

So what’s with all these numbers after the cigar name? AF 8-5-8, Cain F 550…etc

My throat sure is feeling it today after that big (for me) Perdomo Champagne stick last night! Ugh.
Not sure about the 858 but 550 is 5 inch 50 ring gauge. Why is your throat sore? Were you inhaling?

[QUOTE="Prototypep3, post: 1626939, member: 2922”] Why is your throat sore? Were you inhaling?
[/QUOTE]
Probably some… by mistake. Still trying to get the technique down I guess.

I hate accessing this site on my phone.

[QUOTE="Prototypep3, post: 1626939, member: 2922”] Why is your throat sore? Were you inhaling?
Probably some… by mistake. Still trying to get the technique down I guess.

I hate accessing this site on my phone.
[/QUOTE]
If it helps, think of it like sucking through a straw and spitting back out. Obviously not spitting but generally the same concept. It should take little effort each puff. Cigars are quite a bit more forgiving with cadence but I still recommend slow, deliberate draws in a few increments at a time. So have 3 or 4 puffs and then rest the cigar for a minute. The art of it is in taking your time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom