PCF at the Movies (3 Viewers)

I agree. They are what they are. Nothing more. I liked the first three in the franchise (they weren't good, but they were fun). The last one was really bad. For some reason my wife really enjoys these movies. She likes them way more than what any person should. It baffles my son and I. She is always up for a re watch. I just don't get it lol. There could definitely be worse things that she would want to watch.

You watch them for the storyline?

4581998-kate-beckinsale-lingerie.jpg

Watched Zero Days, Alex Gibney's doc about the stuxnet virus, last night:

Alex Gibney is one of the better documentarians working, but sometimes I think his prolific nature works against him. He puts stuff out at such a pace that I usually don't even try to keep up. Partly as a consequence of that, I didn't see this until last night though it's been available for months.

I couldn't recommend it highly enough. The best political/espionage thriller of last year. Where the new Jason Bourne movie failed, this succeeds in keeping you dying to know how the underlying machinations will allow us to get out of so many tight spots. Unfortunately, the tension is real and is based on the actual risks of nuclear proliferation and the risks of war posed not only by our adversaries, but our allies as well.

If you know the whole story of the stuxnet virus, then you will still enjoy seeing I laid out so cleanly, but if you, like me, knew little, you will find the entire thing insane. I can't promise you'll feel more optimistic after the movie, but it's very much worth watching.

As a final recommendation, I'd suggest putting on the subtitles. There are a lot of different accents among the contributors, so I found it easier to read than to listen to.

Finally got around to seeing John Wick a couple weeks ago. I really enjoyed it. I never sought it out after seeing the original trailer since it didn't do much for me. Was pleasantly surprised after watching it. I saw a couple clips for the new one which got me intrigued enough to go back and check out the first one. The premise is familiar as a revenge flick but sounds ridiculous saying it out loud. Stole his car and killed his dog...some movies would downplay that aspect and rely on nothing but action. With John Wick they lean in as opposed to shy away and it gives the movie a bit of a heightened sense of reality which keeps you from thinking 'no way this could happen' at any point during the movie.

IMO the movie was done near perfectly. I get really annoyed with a lot of new movies lately because they over explain everything in info-dumpy dialogue scenes that anyone who has been paying attention should have already picked up on. That and shots where the camera lingers on something/someone just a little to long. Might as well have a neon sign flashing IMPORTANT!!!! above the object/person. You don't get a lot of that in John Wick. The whole criminal underworld just exists without explanation as to how things work except for what comes out in conversation. Even then it is done in a more natural way and avoids sounding like an info-dump.

The action was done very well without relying on quick/jump cuts that most of the action flicks use these days. It was also nice that Wick doesn't have any magic guns that don't need to be reloaded. The fight scenes were excellent with long sequences where the camera doesn't cut away making them more believable IMO.

All in all a great action flick with a great cast.

Finally got around to seeing John Wick a couple weeks ago. I really enjoyed it. I never sought it out after seeing the original trailer since it didn't do much for me. Was pleasantly surprised after watching it. I saw a couple clips for the new one which got me intrigued enough to go back and check out the first one. The premise is familiar as a revenge flick but sounds ridiculous saying it out loud. Stole his car and killed his dog...some movies would downplay that aspect and rely on nothing but action. With John Wick they lean in as opposed to shy away and it gives the movie a bit of a heightened sense of reality which keeps you from thinking 'no way this could happen' at any point during the movie.

IMO the movie was done near perfectly. I get really annoyed with a lot of new movies lately because they over explain everything in info-dumpy dialogue scenes that anyone who has been paying attention should have already picked up on. That and shots where the camera lingers on something/someone just a little to long. Might as well have a neon sign flashing IMPORTANT!!!! above the object/person. You don't get a lot of that in John Wick. The whole criminal underworld just exists without explanation as to how things work except for what comes out in conversation. Even then it is done in a more natural way and avoids sounding like an info-dump.

The action was done very well without relying on quick/jump cuts that most of the action flicks use these days. It was also nice that Wick doesn't have any magic guns that don't need to be reloaded. The fight scenes were excellent with long sequences where the camera doesn't cut away making them more believable IMO.

All in all a great action flick with a great cast.

I agree. I also liked it a lot. We'll probably hit the sequel in a couple of weeks.

True.........still as a movie it was painful to watch.

absolutely. I liked it a lot. Finally got the brutality that I've been wanting from a Wolverine movie. I thought Stewart and Jackman were fantastic.

Logan was so good it made me angry for all these years of Jackman as Wolverine being wasted.

Bumping this because as I was looking for an old post in this thread I saw this question and that it didn't get much of a response at the time. If you're still looking for good horror you might have overlooked, check out:

You're Next
It Follows
The House of the Devil
Drag Me to Hell
The Descent
I Saw the Devil
The Innkeepers
Don't Breathe

Limiting my recommendations to relatively recent movies, but if you're looking for older horror films, there are a TON more.

Also a lover of horror and second these flicks for sure.

Also, the wife and I loved Get Out. I thought it was total genius.

Finally got around to watching Eli Roth's The Green Inferno a couple weeks back and I thought it was a near perfect B horror movie with an AAA premise. I laughed out loud, I sucked my teeth at the silliness and every obvious trope, I cringed at the visceral, graphic violence and gore, I felt sympathy and wished death on folks... I suspended reality for about an hour and I really enjoyed the resolution and ending... Very nice return to form for him.

True.........still as a movie it was painful to watch.

absolutely. I liked it a lot. Finally got the brutality that I've been wanting from a Wolverine movie. I thought Stewart and Jackman were fantastic.
had to watch just because....kind of like the resident evil movies.

Logan on the other hand....wow...awesome movie

Saw Logan back in March, incredibly well done. Also saw Split shortly before that and thought that was very good as well, loved the ending and connection to the greater M Night Shyamalan universe. Looking forward to picking up both of these on DVD in the near future for a second viewing.

New Star Wars trailer finally dropped:

as did the trailer for the new Thor movie - has a similar feel to GOG, will be interesting to see what they do with this one. And more Cate Blanchett please :)

Watched Split last night. We liked it. I think its "good", not great. Its nice to see a Shyamalan movie that isn't total shit. I wouldn't put it in the same category as Signs and Unbreakable but its close.

If you like this kind of horror flick then this is a good movie for you.

Anya Taylor Joy is great as the young heroine in the flick while at times it felt like Mcavoy was reciting X-Men lines.

The wife and I saw Wonder Woman in IMAX Saturday nite, and I thought they nailed her origin and style. My wife said afterward that her action scenes were so badass that she wanted to cry, not for their greatness but because it was a female lead kicking such ass on an epic scale while surrounded by men. I'm a big fan of juxtaposing superheroes and classic historical periods, and this flick does it very well.

Also, caught John Wick 2 on my own this weekend. More ridiculous, bloody fun. Want more!

We watched Alien Covenant last night. The first hour was a tad different. The second hour was the exact same as all of the other Alien movies. At best it was just "OK".

Watched "Raw" a few days ago. WOW........pretty weird. Coming of age flick with some cannibalism, extreme college hazing, ect......I liked it. As I've stated before. I like movies that are a little weird and fucked up.

It kind of has a "Lord of the Flies" type feel to it.

We watched Colossus last night. I really liked it. Its weird, sad, dark, and funny. It executes on all accounts imo. This is a drama about a chick (Anne Hathaway) whose life is falling apart. Primarily from bad decisions, drinking, ect....

Anne Hathaway and Jason Sudeikis are fantastic. The trailers didn't give away much. Definitely a cool twist or two.

Worth your time.

We watched Colossus last night. I really liked it. Its weird, sad, dark, and funny. It executes on all accounts imo. This is a drama about a chick (Anne Hathaway) whose life is falling apart. Primarily from bad decisions, drinking, ect....

Anne Hathaway and Jason Sudeikis are fantastic. The trailers didn't give away much. Definitely a cool twist or two.

Worth your time.
My wife loved this movie. Pretty far out there, but definitely worth a watch IMO.

Your thoughts on it? My wife liked it. Said it was the weirdest movie she had seen I awhile.
Dude, if my wife can be entertained while I binge on PCF, I'm good. Toss in the occasional "this is really good, right?" as I think about the next fucked up movie I'm going to make her watch. :sneaky:

It's a very unique film, and the pieces I watched, I enjoyed. I like that only a very small subset of romantic comedies are true "chick flicks" anymore. Most have a ton of vulgarity and depict a more realistic portrayal of relationships, which I can appreciate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom