Tourney Payout structure (1 Viewer)

I'm in full agreement with abby99 that you should cater to your group's specific needs and wants. You're hosting for them after all.

However, you said that in your opinion 50%/30%/20% and 40%/25%/20%/15% are the perfect examples of how NOT to do it. That sets up your structure as the PREFERED way to do it, and I couldn't agree less.

You're basing your structure on the principle that the jump from finishing in the money to the first paybump should be more than the difference between not cashing and making the money, which I feel is flawed reasoning. If you carry that design philosphy to large tournaments (like the WSOP), making the money could mean you make $100 back from your initial $10,000 buy-in.

When I (and I'm assuming most people) play in a tournament it's to outlast other players to win money, not to make a loss. By playing I accept that the buy-in is my investment to have a chance at a payday. If that payday is less than or equal to my initial investment I'd be just as disappointed as if I didn't make the money. That's why I recommend a payout structure where you make at the very least a profit of 50% on your initial buy-in when you make the money, and preferably around a 100% profit. I agree that there should be a curve in the payout structure, so that the paybumps become larger as you finish higher. Which is why I don't use a 40%/30%/20%/10% payout structure, but 42%/27%/18%/13%.

FWIW: The pay-out structure that I used/devised for my home game is very similar to the one posted by Bloody Marvelous.

9 to 17 players pays-out top three: 9/6/4
18 to 26 players: 42.5/27.5/18/12

The 18 to 22 player tournament that I played in earlier this year paid out 25% of the field. Top five paid out: 45/25/15/10/5.

I had no real intentions of participating in this thread, but I won a small friendly eight player tournament the other night that I think makes a wonderful case in point on why there should not be a huge disparity between first and second place money.

I had 18BB's on the button and my opponent had 12BB's. We both smashed the flop. He checked his hand. I made a min bet into a limped pot. He called. He checked the turn. I made another half pot size bet. He moved all-in. Now I know I am behind, because this player would not push back at me without having a very strong hand, however, I also knew I had outs.. I made the call as a 64 to 36 dog solely because I would still have 6BB's left if I missed. I hit my card.

My point is that he outplayed me from start to finish in that crucial last hand. He got me to commit my chips as a 2 to 1 dog, and got the short end of the stick. I had no idea he had such a strong hand until his check/all-in move on the turn.

There was $430 in the pot. (8 players, one re-buy. The house kept $20)

I won $165 ($215 less my $50 buy-in.) My opponent won $80. ($130 less his $50 buy-in.)

I may still have won if his hand held up. Who knows? What I do know is that he did a great job playing his hand, and that I got a little bit lucky.

IMNSHO, ICM should only be used when players ask for a chop. You then calculate how much each player would get based on their current chipstack using ICM, and ask if they all agree to chop for those amounts. The amounts are non-negotiable though, so if you don't agree you need to play on.

I personally like/use:
  1. 100% (2-4 players // Field payout percentage: 50%-25%)
  2. 65% / 35% (5-9 players // Field payout percentage: 40%-22%)
  3. 50% / 30% / 20% (10-16 players // Field payout percentage: 30%-19%)
  4. 40% / 25% / 20% / 15% (17-24 players // Field payout percentage: 24%-17%)
  5. 37.5% / 25% / 17.5% / 12.5% / 7.5% (25-33 players // Field payout percentage: 20%-15%)

I use something similar to this, but I round the amounts to the nearest $10 to keep the host sane.

I still have issues with your explanation. For one, bringing up a 50/25/25 payout is nonsensical, as is comparing that to a 50/30/20 payout.

I'm sorry I'm not communicating in a way that's getting my point across...

I didn't bring up 50/25/25 because that's a structure in common use. I brought it up because thinking about the theoretical difference in play caused by a theoretical 50/25/25 illustrates the effect that I'm talking about. And because I dislike that effect, I try to distance myself from that extreme.

Also, if you think that the extra 10% is too weak, I'm curious how you feel about this year's WSOP ME payouts:

415th-477th: $21,786
478th-549th: $19,500
550th-648th: $17,282
649th-1000th: $15,000

I think that after the 1001st player bubbled out, nobody gave a crap about finish order until another 350 dropped. Most people didn't really give a crap about finish order until 500 more people dropped.

So play was a grind until the bubble approached... and then play changed sharply... and then the bubble popped and play changed dramatically... and then play fell back into a (different kind of) grind for another 500 players or so.

However, as soon as the 1001st player bubbled out, all those 500 were happy to be able to report that they "cashed," and each of them are known by people who could then say they knew someone who "cashed in the main event," and that's good for the event, in the long term.

I also feel it's largely irrelevant to our discussion of payout structures for 10 or 20 people. It's a different beast. You can't even compare to the structure for the top three finishers of the WSOP ME. But if you do:

1st: $7,680,021
2nd: $4,469,171
3rd: $3,397,103

You'll notice that 2nd may only be 31.56% higher than 3rd, but it's about a million dollars - 104 buy-ins - higher. That matters, a lot. But you'll never have 2nd place be 100 buy-ins above 3rd place in a tournament with 10 buy-ins.

Here is what I have been doing. And I have one guy, after 7 seasons of playing, complaining that 2nd should be much less than what I have. Or 4-5 people playing 2nd should at least get their money back. This came up when we had 7 people. This Guy won and I came in 2nd. I am the host. He always gives me a little bit of his winnings because he knows from running other types of leagues that it's a nice gesture to toss the host a couple bucks. He won $90 and I won $50. He gave me $10 and then the next morning said 2nd should be paid less because he only made $80 and I made $60.

What do you think about this payout structure. It is rounded to nearest $5.

4 players - 100% - $80
5 players - 100% - $100
6 players - 65%/35% - $80/$40
7 players - 65%/35% - $90/$50
8 players - 65%/35% - $105/$55
9 players - 65%/35% - $120/$60
10 players - 50%/30%/20 - $100/$60/$40

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom