Payment should be sent as friends and family???? (1 Viewer)

what does this mean when someone asks you to pay via paypall?
If you send money to a business, PayPal subtracts a fee (3.5%?) from the transfer, resulting in the receiving party getting less than the agreed amount. If you send to a friend or family member, there is no such fee. Many sellers here say that if you don't use F&F, you will have to add an amount to the transfer such that they receive the full amount.

The downside to using F&F for you is that there is no buyer protection (if the goods are not as described, Paypal will not refund your money, because as far as they know, you weren't buying something, you were sending money to a friend).

When I sell I insist that the buyer use goods and services. Im protected by insurance at the post office, buyer has no recourse for lost items unles they use goods and services.

If I sell something and get hit by a bus before I ship, for example, they just lose their $$.

Just got an empty box in the mail this week. I paid with goods and services. Nobody lost out.

Wouldnt pay for a bunch of expensive chips without some kind of protection. To each their own though.

Somebody in the USPS got themselves 15 bounty chips.

Not a huge loss, but the lesson doesnt have to be devastating to be learned.

Attachments

• usps.jpg
    usps.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 192
The downside to using F&F for you is that there is no buyer protection (if the goods are not as described.
Fair warning: there is also no seller protection with FF. If a buyer disputes the purchase with their credit card company, PayPal will refund their money and the seller will end up with nothing and have zero recourse.

Somebody in the USPS got themselves 15 bounty chips.

Not a huge loss, but the lesson doesnt have to be devastating to be learned.

so you said “no lose to anybody”. But doesn’t the G&S just protect you from the seller? PayPal isn’t going to pay out of pocket for a USPS theft. PayPal just forcefully withdraws the funds from the seller if I am not mistaken.

It’s all about trusting your fellow chip community my brother. I do F and F on here, but would NEVER on Craigslist etc. .. I’ve bought and sold on PCF no problem.

It’s all about trusting your fellow chip community my brother. I do F and F on here, but would NEVER on Craigslist etc. .. I’ve bought and sold on PCF no problem.
How do I know you? We share a common hobby. That's it.

Not to be blunt, but if you think there has never been a scam or a bad deal on here you are mistaken.

I will pay the fees on my dealings with people I don't "know know".

so you said “no lose to anybody”. But doesn’t the G&S just protect you from the seller? PayPal isn’t going to pay out of pocket for a USPS theft. PayPal just forcefully withdraws the funds from the seller if I am not mistaken.
Not really sure on that, to be honest. Seller and I straightened it out without force ably removing moneys.

How do I know you? We share a common hobby. That's it.

Not to be blunt, but if you think there has never been a scam or a bad deal on here you are mistaken.

I will pay the fees on my dealings with people I don't "know know".

I should say under a certain price point And looking at people’s reviews. Some I’ve added the 3% if I didn’t feel comfortable. But majority FF

For so many of us that have been around here since the migration from CT, we really are friends and family. The site has exploded in terms of membership in the last couple of years but the vast majority of new blood have embraced the established f&f precedent.

If you screw someone here, good luck doing business again. Scammers are outed and efforts are made to help people out. If i have a buyer that I don’t know refusing to do a f&f deal, red flags go up since I have a history of solid sales I’ve heard that buyers can get the chips and still make a claim for any number of reasons and try to screw a seller. id sure like to avoid that even though Forrest points out a loophole with credit card companies.

I’ve sent 5K worth of chips to some guy in Texas a couple of times with no worries.

what does this mean when someone asks you to pay via paypall?
Sending as family and friends means that the transaction cannot be disputed via PayPal, even if a scam occurs. Use with extreme caution as a buyer and request as much as possible as a reputable seller.

Sending as family and friends means that the transaction cannot be disputed via PayPal, even if a scam occurs. Used with extreme caution regularity as a buyer and request as much as possible to avoid paying unnecessary fees on large transactions when dealing with the great community members and as a reputable sellers here on PCF.
^FYP.

Quick question.

I send someone chips (or they me). Chips going missing, never to arrive. Wedidjt add insurance, so we get the minimal $50 or whatever USPS is giving us. What’s the blank expectation? Buyer and seller split the loss?

Hasn’t ever happened to me(one time I didn’t get a barrel of bounties and one time an envelope didn’t have a chip in it, but nothing big), but I’m just wondering as I’m buying and selling chips that aren’t cheap to me what the norm is.

Unless otherwise specified and agreed upon beforehand:
  • For missing packages -- seller is fully responsible to the buyer for the loss, since the seller always has the option to purchase insurance to minimize his/her risk.
  • For damaged goods or partial shipment (goods missing from damaged package) -- seller is responsible for the loss of value, since packaging integrity is totally dependent on seller's actions (can either make it bombproof, buy insurance, or both).
If sellers want to minimize their financial risk, then proper (or overkill) packing and packaging along with sufficient insurance coverage (regardless of who pays for it) are mandatory.

To save money, buyers may wish to waive paying for insurance or declare a lower-than-actual value for the contents, but it transfers the risk to the buyer.

Because I did my sample sets via first class mail to keep the price as low as possible, I did have a policy of "Buyer assumes risk once postal service has custody of parcel. If buyer wishes to add tracking, please add $3.50 to include Certified Mail service. I will gladly provide the tracking number after purchasing postage." clearly stated in my ad.

Thankfully, other than a delay due to under-posting one of the shipments (which I took responsibility for), everything went off just fine :).

I am fine giving buyers the option to use G & S if they cover, I take no offense at that. I get using G & S has tax implications for sellers at a certain level that I am nowhere near, which is often another reason sellers prefer F & F.

The creator of this thread is asking about a set that I am selling. I have not done many transactions on here (as I was much more active on CT than here) , but I don't think that I have had any problems. If anyone has had any negative transactions with me, please feel free to post here, and let me know as well!

Also, liftapint has been amazing once again, and has been collecting all the paypal funds for me. A) to keep it in the US, as I will be then using the funds to purchase from some other PCF'ers , and B) because I haven't had a Paypal account in maybe 15 years.

Anyways, I'm not terribly current with Paypals fees and rules. but hopefully the original poster's mind might be a bit more at ease with me posting here.

The creator of this thread is asking about a set that I am selling. I have not done many transactions on here (as I was much more active on CT than here) , but I don't think that I have had any problems. If anyone has had any negative transactions with me, please feel free to post here, and let me know as well!

Also, liftapint has been amazing once again, and has been collecting all the paypal funds for me. A) to keep it in the US, as I will be then using the funds to purchase from some other PCF'ers , and B) because I haven't had a Paypal account in maybe 15 years.

Anyways, I'm not terribly current with Paypals fees and rules. but hopefully the original poster's mind might be a bit more at ease with me posting here.

@Racer96 is good peoples. You have nothing to worry about other than how long it’s going to take for your chips to get here.

I just dealt with @Racer96 and it was very smooth. He is very nice and easy to deal with, chips are on their way. You should have no concerns but if you do then pay for added insurance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom