SOLD Paulson Private Card Room hot-stamped non-denoms, 2 racks (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@stavman OP should have just told you ”sorry, they’re spoken for” or he should’ve done an auction to begin with. But you also shouldn’t have put him in that position by offering more money for something you knew had been spoken for. Yes buyers and sellers are free to do business however they please but we all have a mutual understanding of how business should be conducted. If we didn’t it would be a shitshow. I’m not a fan of either one of you right now but kudos for speaking up at least.

@stavman OP should have just told you ”sorry, they’re spoken for” or he should’ve done an auction to begin with. But you also shouldn’t have put him in that position by offering more money for something you knew had been spoken for. Yes buyers and sellers are free to do business however they please but we all have a mutual understanding of how business should be conducted. If we didn’t it would be a shitshow. I’m not a fan of either one of you right now but kudos for speaking up at least.

I read the thread really quickly. Noticed that they both wanted a rack each. I offered more money for both racks to one shipping address. My pm came in prior to both of they’re edits wanting both racks.

So why not just post in the thread then

Because they didn’t want either of the first two people agreeing to buy the chips to outbid him. He wanted to get his offer in there and close his deal without us realizing someone else was trying to snake the chips. Let’s be honest.

Last edited:
Because they didn’t want either of the first two people calling dibs to outbid him. He wanted to get his offer in there and close his deal without us realizing someone else was trying to take the chips. Let’s be honest.
Blah blah. Not really. PM is an acceptable way to complete a deal. Happens all the time.

It's a shame that PCF has no provision to say "I have the following chips I'd like to sell and will entertain private offers" without forcing the seller to either a) guess at what their market value is or b) commit to selling via a public auction.

Reading some other posts, it seems like this was once the case, but then a requirement was added for sales posts to include a price. I wonder what the reasoning was behind this decision? Posting a solicitation for private offers seems to me like a perfectly legitimate way to conduct a sale; as it is now, such solicitations can't be posted publicly, which means people who want to solicit offers have to reach out via private message, limiting such sales to the insider networks.

It's a shame that PCF has no provision to say "I have the following chips I'd like to sell and will entertain private offers" without forcing the seller to either a) guess at what their market value is or b) commit to selling via a public auction.

Reading some other posts, it seems like this was once the case, but then a requirement was added for sales posts to include a price. I wonder what the reasoning was behind this decision? Posting a solicitation for private offers seems to me like a perfectly legitimate way to conduct a sale; as it is now, such solicitations can't be posted publicly, which means people who want to solicit offers have to reach out via private message, limiting such sales to the insider networks.
Auctions are still available

Auctions are still available
My point was that there ought to be a third option besides price-stated sales and public auctions, namely public solicitations for private offers.

In other words, as I understand it, currently there is no way on PCF to say "I would like to sell these chips, please make me an offer" other than reaching out to the people you already know via PMs.

I may be wrong about that, though. I recall seeing "Sales threads must include a price" posted in response to some sales posts, but I don't see such a policy anywhere in the site FAQ and Info post or in the Community Guidelines.

Last edited:
Where’s the rush of members in the community telling the seller (a long time, upstanding chipper from way back - who is a bit out of touch) that his listings are way too cheap?
This isn’t like the regular situation of the vultures picking the bones of some off forum old lady who has no idea what she’s selling, this is a member who was trying to list chips for a fair price. What about the buckets of chip karma? Lol.
Granted, he should have researched the pricing, asked another member for price advice, or had an auction. But come on, everything he listed is half of what it should be for.

My point was that there ought to be a third option besides price-stated sales and public auctions, namely public solicitations for private offers.

In other words, as I understand it, currently there is no way on PCF to say "I would like to sell these chips, please make me an offer" other than reaching out to the people you already know via PMs.

I may be wrong about that, though. I recall seeing "Sales threads must include a price" posted in response to some sales posts, but I don't see such a policy anywhere in the site FAQ and Info post or in the Community Guidelines.
How is this better than an auction were every bid is made publicly?

Fair enough- I think I missed you mention public auctions in your post. Obviously I don’t speak for PCF, its owners, admins, etc. but I’d guess the private auctions were eliminated because there’s a lot of room for unscrupulous behavior (i.e. shill bidding).

Personally, I don’t miss the private auctions at all.

What’s your opposition to public auctions?

Private auctions still exist, they just take place without you or I knowing about them.

Public auctions as currently implemented in the PCF auction section require the seller to place a binding reserve and commit to selling if there are any bids above that reserve. This does little to help a seller who doesn't know the market value of or interest level in their chips.

EDIT: @iNano78 , my apologies for starting this discussion in your sales thread. I should have posted it elsewhere. Good luck with your sale.

Last edited:
Private auctions still exist, they just take place without you or I knowing about them.

Public auctions as currently implemented in the PCF auction section require the seller to place a binding reserve and commit to selling if there are any bids above that reserve. This does little to help a seller who doesn't know the market value of or interest level in their chips.
Sure it does, the highest bid is the current market value

Goddamnit another dibs thread?

For the love of all things holy, if “Dibs” isn’t mentioned specifically in the FS add they mean jack shit.

Dude put chips up at an very nice price and we are roasting him for it? SMH.
Ok missed the part about the price adjustment, but still. Dibs is a joke.

Seller has been a member since 2014 and was on chip talk before that, yet only has 32 posts here. It's clear that this is someone who is unaware of recent market changes that have affected the value of his chips. Just because he lists them for $200 doesn't mean he should be obligated to sell them for that price. It's not a contract, it's a classified listing. From my perspective, the "good karma" thing to do is to inform him that they are worth $350 ea and that you are willing to pay that price. If the first person who called "dibs" still wants them at the fair market price of $350, then let them have them at the fair price. Typically though, we see most people bow out when a price correction occurs, which tells us they probably were after the added value left on the table more than they were the chips themselves. I think they should go to the first person who is willing to pay full market price for them, and that the seller is under no obligation to sell at his listed price. YMMV.

Where’s the rush of members in the community telling the seller (a long time, upstanding chipper from way back - who is a bit out of touch) that his listings are way too cheap?
This isn’t like the regular situation of the vultures picking the bones of some off forum old lady who has no idea what she’s selling, this is a member who was trying to list chips for a fair price. What about the buckets of chip karma? Lol.
Granted, he should have researched the pricing, asked another member for price advice, or had an auction. But come on, everything he listed is half of what it should be for.

Maybe the member is happy with the price offered and doesn’t need to make huge profits off chips. Some people are collecting not profiting. Passing on a great deal brings chip karma, yes?

Maybe the member is happy with the price offered and doesn’t need to make huge profits off chips. Some people are collecting not profiting. Passing on a great deal brings chip karma, yes?
Congrats to jja412. Apparently my knowledge of value of chips is a tad out-of-date. Couldn't give these away 7 years ago... LOL.

The member himself in his other thread did.

WelloffUncommonCapybara-size_restricted.gif

Hi everybody. Here's some transparency.

I've been trying to post a bunch of classifieds today while simultaneously entertaining 2 toddlers and a spouse. Probably not ideal to do this when I can't be fully present, but I've been trying to do this since January 1 and it's taken over a month, so... it is what it is. This wasn't my first classified posted today, and I expected to maybe get some interest in 1 of 7 and bump the others for the next 2 months with no action... like in the old ChipTalk days. I apparently underpriced everything, despite spending an hour or two trying to get a sense of what they're worth from 2020 listings and eBay sales. Anyway, I got about 20 PM's before I even got this ad up, including people asking for chips they could see in pictures for the other ads that weren't even posted yet. Unexpected, to say the least.

Anyway, I posted this ad. Two people immediately posted that they wanted 1 rack each, and PM'ed me the same info plus their mailing addresses. I did not reply, partly because I was busy with kids and partly because I was trying to post other ads and was swamped by the incoming PM's in general. Next related to this ad, I got the offer from @stavman for both racks at over asking. I was already planning to mention publicly that I'd prefer to sell/ship to one destination (when I had a chance to do so). I replied to accept the offer for both racks. After coming back to this thread I saw edited posts stating the first 2 people could take both racks, and that there were additional offers for both racks (that weren't initially accompanied by PM's). My apologies for not being omnipresent.

Others above have it right that I've been out of the buy/sell/trading of chips for a few years and totally did not appreciate the demand for some of these. I mostly took my (locally-saved) 2013-2015 ads from Chiptalk, revised the prices based on what I (mistakenly?) thought was current market value, and posted them with some new pictures. In 2013-2015, no offers at all for any of these... so totally didn't see this coming.

Without knowing the laws around here, I see a couple options: I could sell to the buyer I'd committed to via PM (@stavman), or I could take down the ad and auction the chips to get market value ("yeah capitalism!"). Apparently I'm leaving thousands on the table between these ads, and I'm a fool for doing so, but there are far worse things in life - another lesson I've learned first-hand since 2013-2015. My loss can be someone else's gain... although if you're just scalping my chips for profit, I hope karma bites you in the 'nads.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom