Paulson diamond mold? (1 Viewer)

Marhault

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
I've combed over the pics of these and I can't find injection marks, but they don't seem to look like the 2 real diamond mold chips that I have. Are these just plastic?
Screenshot_20191226-123123_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20191226-123352_Facebook.jpg

The Paulson diamond mold looks a little more squashed then the super diamonds. Those look like the plastic mold, but I can't see any injection marks. How are the edges?

Here is one diamond mold I still have. To me, the diamonds look different....
IMG_20191226_114923.jpg

I don't have them in hand, it's just a guy on Facebook. I asked him for close up pics and that's what he sent. I'll be honest I'm figuring plastic, but I only had 2 Paulson diamonds to compare them to and mine are very worn. The pattern for sure doesn't look identical but it was bugging me not seeing injection marks.

Yeah, it doesn't quite look right to me. But it's hard to tell.

Two things stick out to me:

1) As mentioned, the known Paulson diamond mold example looks more less like a square than the examples in the 1st pic. The angles of the polygon are different
2) The spacing between the polygons in the actual diamond mold chip are larger. In the OP they are nearly touching.

I have some diamond mold clays. Don’t know if they are Paulson but they are older chips.they have a thin inner ring
424BE4B5-70D6-4AB9-804F-EF987DC0977D.jpeg

for a plastic chips the super diamond aren;t bad. damn shame you can't find a place that hotstamps them anymore.

for a plastic chips the super diamond aren;t bad. damn shame you can't find a place that hotstamps them anymore.

The vintage Super Diamonds are even better. Mold pip is in the diamond itself, and inner and outer ring are same width for more symmetrical look. Can be hard to find in quantity, though.

These probably predate the Paulson use of the mold. Jack Todd was using it 1933-1950, so they were probably made by Borland. Using Eisenstadt and BGinGA as references.
Borland didn't manufacture chips -- Todd's chips were made by Burt/USPC.

The diamond mold was purchased from Todd's estate by Christy & Jones, who later sold it (along with the Top Hat & Cane mold) to Paul-Son.

Borland didn't manufacture chips -- Todd's chips were made by Burt/USPC.

The diamond mold was purchased from Todd's estate by Christy & Jones, who later sold it (along with the Top Hat & Cane mold) to Paul-Son.
Yeah, that's what I meant. :bag:

I checked the Eisenstadt reference, relied on memory for yours.

The vintage Super Diamonds are even better. Mold pip is in the diamond itself, and inner and outer ring are same width for more symmetrical look. Can be hard to find in quantity, though.
Wondering if these are "vintage super diamond" - I bought them at a garage sale for the carousel . . . .

The coloring seems different than the op.

Attachments

• 1613855022925483016357.jpg
    1613855022925483016357.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 1613855158723384892977.jpg
    1613855158723384892977.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 115
Vintage? How can you tell? Mine are 20 years old.

Wondering if these are "vintage super diamond" - I bought them at a garage sale for the carousel . . . .

Those are cheap plastic "super diamonds"
Vintage? How can you tell? Mine are 20 years old.
PLastic injection molded chips have been around for a long time. Fleabay is full of these chips listed as "vintage". Its a catch-all term, almost anything can be termed as vintage. 20 years is certainly "vintage" but that doesnt mean they are any different from the plastic super-diamonds being made today.

Injection molding dimple on the chip faces is a dead giveaway that these are plastic

Unfortunately not. Inner ring is very wide compared to the outer ring, and the injection mold pip is inside that same ring. Also, these diamonds are very "square" as well.

Those are cheap plastic "super diamonds"

PLastic injection molded chips have been around for a long time. Fleabay is full of these chips listed as "vintage". Its a catch-all term, almost anything can be termed as vintage. 20 years is certainly "vintage" but that doesnt mean they are any different from the plastic super-diamonds being made today.
I thought someone indicated there was a difference with older super diamonds. Was just curious.

Injection molding dimple on the chip faces is a dead giveaway that these are plastic
I knew that (why I turned those all face up in the picture) but I was wondering if they might be the older plastic ones referenced above given the difference in color.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom