Paul's Frankenstein Table Project (1 Viewer)

Can you put your workhorse chip on the swatch? That will matter quite a bit, since your chips are on the table more than your chairs.

The 25 cent chip is likely the workhorse in the game I am planning.

IMG_20180329_231349387.jpg

One of the gold tones. Use brown vinyl rail. There are small gold squares in the green chairs

I was thinking “which green”, but now you have me thinking differently. Thanks a lot!

I will put the swatches on the table tonight. Some of them I guarantee will look better/worse next to the wood/table finish.

I re-felted the surface. Next is building the new top. I have 1/2" plywood, but it will be too big so I need to drop to 1/4". Anybody have any advice on how to bolt or connect a piece of 1/4" plywood, with foam and fabric surface, to the top of this table? T-nuts? Something else?

I think I'd simply size it to just drop in with no permanent fasteners. Could always use a few heavy-duty velcro strips to snug it down if you are concerned about it moving.

Cut the octagon today. Shooting for 17.5" sides and 42.5" across, to cover the surface and surrounding channels. Took 1/16" or so too much off a couple of the edges, but with foam and fabric, nobody will ever know. Ordering cloth this week, hopefully will have it by the weekend. YAT is pretty fast.

Fabric arrives tomorrow. I tested my pneumatic stapler and it works like a champ. It's all coming together...
IMG_20180425_170022843_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180425_170044449.jpg

My wife did not like the suited speed cloth pattern at all. So I went with unsuited. I don't accomplish much of the big ideas that I set out to do, so I'm pretty dang proud of my new game table. I still need to hold the top down with some screws from underneath, but finding 3/8" screws lying around is not terribly easy. More pictures tomorrow.
WIN_20180430_23_27_03_Pro.jpg

Incidentally, we played board games on it for 12 hours this weekend. We frequently had six around the table and it accommodated that many people EASILY. There are many hundreds of hours of games to be played on this table in the future.

So the hard part was marrying the top to the pedestal base. I wanted a top that was easy to remove, but I can come back and do that later. I cut the goofy octagon and four spacers, then just used a bunch of wood screws.
WIN_20180430_23_16_11_Pro.jpg

The spacers are just sections of 4x4. They are not attached to the tabletop, just to the marrying piece. I have 12 screws holding the marrying piece to the top.
WIN_20180430_23_16_32_Pro.jpg

And then 8 more screws holding the top to the pedestal.
WIN_20180430_23_17_09_Pro.jpg

Speed cloth stapled to new topper. Was a little easier than I thought it would be, but not by much.
WIN_20180430_23_19_10_Pro.jpg

Perfect fit!
WIN_20180430_23_22_09_Pro.jpg

It covers up that damn channel going around the outside of the original surface. Good riddance.
WIN_20180430_23_22_21_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180430_23_27_03_Pro.jpg

Now to find some players and get that mixed dealer choice cash game going. I need practice so I can go to a meetup someday and not get bent over.

Future plans:
1) I need to screw the top down. I tried Velcro with no success. It bows up on a couple edges, so the screws will be to keep it flat. The top is only 1/4" thick, so I have to be careful not to use screws that are too long.
2) I need a few bracing pieces around the far outside edge. People rest their arms here and the table bows slightly when they do. I can fix that.
3) When I'm playing cards and not board games, a padded rail would be useful. I have thoughts about making 8 identical padded rail-type inserts to use when I need them.

The chairs are Hercules. The reds are 18 inch, the greens are 21 inch. Bizchair hooked me up. I sat on them for 12 hours on Saturday and had zero issues. If I need more some day, I will buy them without hesitation. $40 each shipped approximately, totally worth it.

The chairs are Hercules. The reds are 18 inch, the greens are 21 inch. Bizchair hooked me up. I sat on them for 12 hours on Saturday and had zero issues. If I need more some day, I will buy them without hesitation. $40 each shipped approximately, totally worth it.

I'm thinking of buying some of the 18" for extra seating. I really liked the ones I've sat on.

Nobody around me has a warehouse full of Gasser chairs for $15 or $20 each, so these chairs were my favorite alternative. I could not decide on a color or a size, so I got both. Skinny people in the red chairs, big boned people get green, everybody wins!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom