PAHWM AA in position against aggressive opponent (1 Viewer)

Burke

Flush
Reaction score
Will try to post some hands occasionally that may be uber-standard, but just humor me.

Context: Playing a 50c/$1 game. 8-handed. One player is significantly more aggressive than the rest of the table who if the villain in this hand. Has raised light from all positions and has been hitting and is up in the game. It seems he is opening what I would expect from a typical button pre-flop open range no matter what position and his raises have been to $7-$12. He has not gotten 3-bet preflop yet, just calls. Post-flop play from him hasn't been as aggressive as his preflop play and that he is getting to showdown cheaply without bloating the pot with mid-strength hands.

Not sure how I am viewed by the table or him. Probably competent, but a bit loose and lucky. Only hands I have shown down have been 2s3s where I defended my BB on a 3x raise spot with 4 players and was lucky to flop trips and win a decent amount. Other hand I showed down was A9 suited where I hit a flush on the river and got the maximum from a short-stack on the river after making a speculative turn call - called a 3-bet in late position on that hand from a loose player. Have raised pre-flop a few times with two wins - once was a 3-bet where the initial pre-flop raiser folded. The other was a multiway spot that folded to a standard c-bet I made in position on a flop that favored the pre-flop raiser. Have two hands where I have pre-flopped raised that went to flops 4 ways and have checked or folded on the flop.

I have the effective stack at $185

Action: UTG (villain described above) raises to $10 and folds around to hero on the button with :ad::ah: Action?

Last edited:
Aces are great pre-flop, but don’t always hold up. I’d raise. Maybe they see you as strong, or lucky, or playing strong… but I would push the villain here off mid-strength hands. Don’t want them staying around and getting lucky on the river.

I’d go at least 40, maybe 50. If he’s splashy, and up a lot, let’s see what happens when facing a big 3-bet.

Will let this go until after my shift tonight, but other things I would like to start thinking about are these questions. I probably play too reactive rather than proactive.

- What do I do with a flop that favors my range? Flop that favors opponents range?

Other things that I wanted to work on for this session were making sure not to slow-play and not even worry about showing strength when I have it. Not punting my chips away which I am prone to

Flat $10. Assuming sb and bb fold.

Plan to auto bet $15 flop.
Plan to auto bet $35 turn.
Plan to auto jam $125 river.

Hopefully no 4 liners on the board.
Maybe slow down on two pair type boards. But villain’s been pretty wide as per description, so let’s go for the double up. ‍

10x is a biiiig raise. Big enough to mean he doesn’t really want a call? I’m generally in favor of 3 betting AA, but if we ever want to protect our calling range this is the time - in position and likely to get heads up against a Villain liable to blast off. If he starts to slow down we can still pile the money in if all looks well.

Reraise somewhere in the 40–60 range, depending on table norms. If there is no such norm to go by (seems there isn't), tend lower, like 40–45.

Not a fan of flatting here at all, especially with wildcards in the blinds that could potentially call behind if you invite it.

10x is a biiiig raise. Big enough to mean he doesn’t really want a call? I’m generally in favor of 3 betting AA, but if we ever want to protect our calling range this is the time - in position and likely to get heads up against a Villain liable to blast off. If he starts to slow down we can still pile the money in if all looks well.
But if hes been raising regardless of position between $7-12, I dont see a calling range as something villain is considering, he just seems game to gamble. Flatting gives him a cheaper flop than he should be getting, especially because he hasnt been 3bet yet.

Action:

Preflop UTG villain raises to $10 and folds around to hero on the button with :ah: :ad:

Hero raises to $30. Did not consider just flatting. Also didn't really consider going much higher at the time. Probably didn't consider much of anything tbh which is the problem.

Blinds fold. Villain calls.

Pot: $61.50
Flop :js::9c::7d:

Villain checks to me. Action?

Bet 1/3 to 1/2 pot but proceed with caution on following actions. This is a flop that well favors villain.

Effective stacks are $155. Pot is $61. SPR = 2.5.

Hero is pot committed with his over pair. Let's plan on betting 2/3+ pot on the flop and roughly 2/3 pot / jam on the turn. $45 on the flop, $110 on the turn.

Not going to be happy if an eight, jack or ten falls on the turn. Still sticking to the plan -=- DrStrange

But if hes been raising regardless of position between $7-12, I dont see a calling range as something villain is considering, he just seems game to gamble. Flatting gives him a cheaper flop than he should be getting, especially because he hasnt been 3bet yet.
I agree with this 100% and yet… and yet I don’t want to have him fold to a 3bet. I just feel like the way Villain has been described we can play passively and use his aggression to build the pot. AK, KQ I’m definitely 3! looking to catch the weaker part of opening range

Agreeing with @DrStrange. At this point, I’m not folding to his bet nor would I want to give out a free card. Given a 3! pot and spr, either all the money is going in by the end or he’s folding. If he hit 2 pair, bah humbug. If he’s drawing, can’t be for free.

$45 flop.
Jam turn sounds good to me.

If he reraises on the flop, do you fold? Iono.

On the flop, bet 40. Plan for a mostly conservative line if this board gets any wetter.

Obviously any play-back from Villain would need to be considered carefully. He's playing a button range, and doubt he'd fold any of it to the extra 20, so he has a wider set of potential threats than a typical UTG PFR/call.

Normally bet 1/3 with Ace of hearts (checking back the other AA), but check back probably fine if opponent overbluffs

Preflop:
UTG villain raises to $10 and folds around to hero on the button with :ad: :ah:
Hero (playing effective stack at $185) raises to $30.
Pot $61.50

Villain checks to me.
I bet $15. Villain raises to $40.
Pot: $116.50

What now?

Will try to post some hands occasionally that may be uber-standard, but just humor me.

Context: Playing a 50c/$1 game. 8-handed. One player is significantly more aggressive than the rest of the table who if the villain in this hand. Has raised light from all positions and has been hitting and is up in the game. It seems he is opening what I would expect from a typical button pre-flop open range no matter what position and his raises have been to $7-$12. He has not gotten 3-bet preflop yet, just calls. Post-flop play from him hasn't been as aggressive as his preflop play and that he is getting to showdown cheaply without bloating the pot with mid-strength hands.

Not sure how I am viewed by the table or him. Probably competent, but a bit loose and lucky. Only hands I have shown down have been 2s3s where I defended my BB on a 3x raise spot with 4 players and was lucky to flop trips and win a decent amount. Other hand I showed down was A9 suited where I hit a flush on the river and got the maximum from a short-stack on the river after making a speculative turn call - called a 3-bet in late position on that hand from a loose player. Have raised pre-flop a few times with two wins - once was a 3-bet where the initial pre-flop raiser folded. The other was a multiway spot that folded to a standard c-bet I made in position on a flop that favored the pre-flop raiser. Have two hands where I have pre-flopped raised that went to flops 4 ways and have checked or folded on the flop.

I have the effective stack at $185

Action: UTG (villain described above) raises to $10 and folds around to hero on the button with :ad::ah: Action?
FUN! I know who the Villain is....and I am 3 betting him every chance I get. He keeps a deep stack, so I know he covers Hero. We are in position with the weapons. Let's play a big pot!

Raise to $30. Say a little prayer he actually has a hand as well and 4 bets us. If so, I will let him take the lead and just call. He is fully capable of putting in big bluffs.

Preflop:
UTG villain raises to $10 and folds around to hero on the button with :ad: :ah:
Hero (playing effective stack at $185) raises to $30.
Pot $61.50

Villain checks to me.
I bet $15. Villain raises to $40.
Pot: $116.50

What now?
OK, late to the game, so let's play catch up:

-preflop, we do not want to be just calling very often against this villain (he is a good LAG). Letting him get away with setting his price is bad poker. We raise him, and we want a call. If you are afraid of AA, you gotta get over that. This is as good as it gets. We are in position head's up (probably) against an aggressive opponent with a wide range and a deep stack. This is our chance to make some bank.

-flop: This is definitely a flop that hits the caller's range. He plays in flow and checks to us. I like the small size here....you could even check back this flop for deception. The check-raise is a bit scary, but could mean a bunch of things....could mean top pair, could mean two pair, or a straight draw. It doubtfully means a set. Could be just a test to see how strong we are. Many of those things we still beat. The money is going to go in here pretty easy now, which is our plan. Just call is the only play that makes sense. We don't want to let him off easy with a raise so he can fold. We absolutely are not folding. Just call.

Villain has a host of semi-bluff hands in his range. Hands like JT / T9 / 98 / 87 - suited connectors or even not suited. These all have nine-out draws to beat aces. Even a pair of ten or eights have six out draws vs Hero's aces. And we can't neglect the prospect of runner-runner flush draws. Those might be worth an extra out as well.

Villain also does have some powerful hands in his range. Sets, two pair and even the straight.

We would have to know the villain to assess the chance of QQ+ as part of his range.

And then there is the silly part of villain's range - top pair hands and smaller pocket pairs. Hero's quarter pot bet might be seen differently playing on-line vs randoms. But in a home game, that bet sizing seems pretty weak and just the sort of thing to induce a LAG into action.

No time to be scared. I still see Hero as pot committed. If he was trapping with the micro flop bet, it worked. Let's raise.

If you are going to play let’s play for stacks. That’s where this is headed anyway. If he folds(not likely) you still win good $$, a call, he is on a draw so good luck. If he hit a set, that’s poker.

Villain has a host of semi-bluff hands in his range. Hands like JT / T9 / 98 / 87 - suited connectors or even not suited. These all have nine-out draws to beat aces. Even a pair of ten or eights have six out draws vs Hero's aces. And we can't neglect the prospect of runner-runner flush draws. Those might be worth an extra out as well.

Villain also does have some powerful hands in his range. Sets, two pair and even the straight.

We would have to know the villain to assess the chance of QQ+ as part of his range.

And then there is the silly part of villain's range - top pair hands and smaller pocket pairs. Hero's quarter pot bet might be seen differently playing on-line vs randoms. But in a home game, that bet sizing seems pretty weak and just the sort of thing to induce a LAG into action.

No time to be scared. I still see Hero as pot committed. If he was trapping with the micro flop bet, it worked. Let's raise.

I agree with your breakdown, but wonder why you would want to raise here? If he is bluffing, he will fold. If he has second pair, we just gave him the information he was looking for. If he has top pair, here is his chance to hero fold. If he has 2 pair plus, we just made it easy for him. Yes, if he has QQ+, the money is going in either way. However, if we are winning, why would we tell him that? Top pair is a much more likely hand than a straight draw as played.

In the villain's shoes: I know if I had a straight draw, I would be happy to realize equity rather than raise. If I had top pair, I would rather protect my equity against an over card or two.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom