Oiling before or after flattening? (1 Viewer)

LowerBama1714

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
Should I oil TRKs that I just hand cleaned with magic eraser before or after I flatten them?

My imagination is telling me the oil will help the chips accept their original flatness.

Why do chips warp…I assume it’s due to reduced moisture content? Just like mud cracks in a dried up mud puddle.

Thoughts?

Chips warp generally because of heat. Chips stored in an environment that is less than ideal will contribute to warping.
I don’t think oiling would help the flattening process…and the combo of flattening with heat and oil is less than ideal.
I say flatten first, oil later.

Why do chips warp…I assume it’s due to reduced moisture content? Just like mud cracks in a dried up mud puddle.

Wha… what? They warp because they are under some kind of stress that forced them into a new configuration.
Heat helps those stresses move through the object and make things worse or better, but it is unresolved pressures on or in the chip that causes it. The chip deforms to resolve the pressure. Slower with less heat, but it’s still slowly trying to achieve the lowest energy state it can.

Wha… what? They warp because they are under some kind of stress that forced them into a new configuration.
Heat helps those stresses move through the object and make things worse or better, but it is unresolved pressures on or in the chip that causes it. The chip deforms to resolve the pressure. Slower with less heat, but it’s still slowly trying to achieve the lowest energy state it can.
I forgot to put a ? After my “why do chips warp” statement (meant to be a question).

I agree heat is the culprit, but I’m still curious from a geoscientifical perspective. Does the compression molding process drive 100% of the water out of the clay? If not, then it would be reasonable to assume they might lose mass over a long period? Heat would accelerate this process…

Who wants to ruin a new chip by weighing it…put it in an oven for a long ass time…and weight it again?

Not it.

Last edited:
Chips warp generally because of heat. Chips stored in an environment that is less than ideal will contribute to warping.
I don’t think oiling would help the flattening process…and the combo of flattening with heat and oil is less than ideal.
I say flatten first, oil later.
This is what I’ll do.

I forgot to put a ? After my “why do chips warp” statement (meant to be a question).

I agree heat is the culprit, but I’m still curious from a geoscientifical perspective. Does the compression molding process drive 100% times if the water out of the clay? If not, then it would be reasonable to assume they might lose mass over a long period? Heat would accelerate this process…

Who wants to ruin a new chip by weighing it…put it in an oven for a long ass time…and weight it again?

Not it.

Heat is not the culprit, it is an accessory to the crime.
Unresolved stress in/on the chip is what causes it. The chip will eventually deform at any temperature, heat only affects the timing of the event.
When you flatten chips, just compressing them will work, it just takes a long time. Heat speeds it up by relaxing the material and allowing the stress to move through it.

If you take a chip and put it in an oven and heat it up it won’t warp by itself.

I will add that I believe, having gotten new chips from paulson factory, that when new chips are made, they need time to cure, just like asphalt or concrete, so storing them in a way that keeps them flat, until they cure, is ideal. How much time is needed , I do not know. This is just my opinion .

I will add that I believe, having gotten new chips from paulson factory, that when new chips are made, they need time to cure, just like asphalt or concrete, so storing them in a way that keeps them flat, until they cure, is ideal. How much time is needed , I do not know. This is just my opinion .

I share this opinion, extending it to CPC’s as well. I think the chips stamp a lot better if they have had time to “cure”. Cleaner with less flash.

I've had vintage clays bent over almost 90 degrees due to uneven pressures over a long period of time, presumably years/decades.

Stress, pure and simple. Most solids are still “fluid”, they just are moving really really really slow. Like panes of glass in old houses- they are thicker at the bottom than the top after decades. They are going to eventually move in the direction that relieves any stress, and temperature can help influence this.

Oiled after flattening….

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 86BE1C78-39FA-4CDB-9B8E-DCFF468F3283.jpeg
    86BE1C78-39FA-4CDB-9B8E-DCFF468F3283.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 59
  • CCD7DE4E-7B01-49A0-AAC2-9ECA316F3AC0.jpeg
    CCD7DE4E-7B01-49A0-AAC2-9ECA316F3AC0.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 57
  • B4AEAFB5-4BD1-4401-838F-9A712FFABE05.jpeg
    B4AEAFB5-4BD1-4401-838F-9A712FFABE05.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 59

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom