Oiling Chips Done Right (14 Viewers)

You can ignore vast aspects of the original post. Just a little oil on a cloth (about the size of a dime). Wipe it on, wipe it off. Shouldn't take more than 10 seconds a chip.
I don't know how to do that cutesy crossout fixed your post thing, but can we just change CAN to SHOULD?
We have a lot of great resources on PCF. I'm not sure why people think this OP is one of them.

What’s wrong with the OP? Too much oil?
Its been a while and I'm and about to go back and read it all and drive myself crazy. But I know there was a lot of talk of forcing the oil into the chip with physical pressure, and other efforts to apply science where it just isn't necessary.

If you want to oil your chips, just apply a tiny bit of mineral oil and then wipe off the excess. It's really that simple.

Its been a while and I'm and about to go back and read it all and drive myself crazy. But I know there was a lot of talk of forcing the oil into the chip with physical pressure, and other efforts to apply science where it just isn't necessary.

If you want to oil your chips, just apply a tiny bit of mineral oil and then wipe off the excess. It's really that simple.
Ok I’m going in. Wondering what the counter argument really was. Wish me luck.

20 pages in it starts going off the rails. Poker Zombie posts a video 4 years into the life of the post, and stating that he feels pressure is unnecessary. A year later sparks start flying. A few weeks later they made amends and came to an agreement. Now here we are 6 pages later.

I ended up modifying the process a bit. Instead of rubbing oil into each one by hand, I folded a rag into thirds and poured oil in a line (a cap full for every 2 racks). I wiped all of the edges of the chips as I rotated them in their racks. Then I pulled out each barrel out of the racks. I laid the rag on top of another with the oiled side facing up. Then I rubbed each chips face once or twice on the rag, then re-racked them.

Last edited:
C7CB9DB8-8ABA-4ECF-B16E-A587DC5DCB90.jpeg
86F9112D-9DD3-4B09-A7F6-2B61E61B6B52.jpeg

I'm not buying the whole "compression" thing either. Rubbing your finger over a chip isn't somehow forcing more oil into it.
Wipe on, wipe off, done.
And the natural oil from your hands is always adding. I can see the few used half and unused half of my black San Manuel 50c. Pretty neat. Top 4 are not felted but handled a few times.

Attachments

• 20230910_164651.jpg
    20230910_164651.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 119
Has anyone tried placing the chips in a vacuum chamber while submerged in oil to draw air out of the chips and draw the oil in? (I'm totally joking...but I'd still follow that thread if someone is crazy enough to try it).

First, thanks to @Stibnite for the thorough explanation of his method. I found the posted results and debate over methods to be so interesting that I read every single post in the thread, although it took more than a week. I'm thankful to live in the First World where we can fight over minutia. Thanks to everyone that posted results.

Here is my attempt. These are three racks before oiling.
3 racks Before.jpg

This is one barrel per racked after oiling
Spread out.jpg

Here again are the racks with the single barrel returned after oiling

After oiling.jpg

My efforts made a difference but not as dramatic as so many posted here. I wiped them and re-racked them after 12 hours so maybe I didn't allow enough absorption time.

First, thanks to @Stibnite for the thorough explanation of his method. I found the posted results and debate over methods to be so interesting that I read every single post in the thread, although it took more than a week. I'm thankful to live in the First World where we can fight over minutia. Thanks to everyone that posted results.

Here is my attempt. These are three racks before oiling.
View attachment 1208081
This is one barrel per racked after oiling
View attachment 1208082
Here again are the racks with the single barrel returned after oiling

View attachment 1208083
My efforts made a difference but not as dramatic as so many posted here. I wiped them and re-racked them after 12 hours so maybe I didn't allow enough absorption time.
Those chips were actually in pretty good shape before you oiled them. Maybe because they had been oiled prior to you acquiring them?

They still look great, though.

I have had these for over 20 years, but I haven't hosted much during that time. I guess I hosted enough to get some hand oil on them. They still have that milled smell after all these years, although the oiling toned them down 80%.

my personal experience with sharpening knives is that mineral oil may be slightly polishing when compressing it.
I have been doing experiments on China Clays with mineral oil +alchool cleaning+silicone oil or grease (instead of mineral oil)+long time to dry on the rack.
The idea is that silicone may be the car wax of chips, and stick way better on the ultra-clean/polished surface, hopefully like a glue.
Seems to works so far and age well (one month later, silicone veil didn't turn into sXit)
Hopefully, when a chip is 'dirty' with a perfectly layered silicone veil, you will never remove it ever again unless you deliberately wash the chip. Just touching it can't do that.

You did a good job there... It would be nice to hear your opinion about the theory behind my experiment

Last edited:
This method really looks legit! But my wife already thinks I'm nuts spending our money on chips. What she gonna do when she sees me spending hours methodically cleaning them and our place is covered with hundreds of chips airdrying!! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

This method really looks legit! But my wife already thinks I'm nuts spending our money on chips. What she gonna do when she sees me spending hours methodically cleaning them and our place is covered with hundreds of chips airdrying!! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Mineral oil doesn’t evaporate, so there’s no reason to leave them out by the hundreds to “dry”.
The oil does soak in, so you can lightly oil them then rack them. Come back tomorrow and wipe any excess, but if you were very sparing in the oil to begin with, that will likely be unnecessary.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom