Paulsons: So Fresh and So Clean Clean (2 Viewers)

I use a salad spinner, warm/hot water and Lundmark faux-TSP. Two minute spin. Rinse, lay out. I do about 200 per cycle. If any of them need extra attention, I set them aside and use an old toothbrush/toothpaste, but the spinner gets 98.5% of them clean.

I accidentally ordered three racks of *uncleaned* used Jack Cincy $1s (THC mold), instead of cleaned ones. Having just put them twice through the spinner with Lundmark, thought I’d share the results.

(1) How they arrived: Absolutely filthy

tempImagedS89nV.png

(2) Two-minute agitated baths in the salad spinner for each rack: 8 cups hot but not scalding water and 1.5 tablespoons of Lundmark faux-TSP. Every 20 pulls or so, I open the spinner and stir the chips with a spoon to avoid chips sticking together and not getting fully covered. Note: I also added a drop of dishwashing liquid, Meyers Clean Day to each batch... Here is the water after two minutes:

tempImageqJV8l8.png

Disgusting, right? I don’t know why it looks so pink. Maybe from contact with red $5s? Tomato sauce from people who eat pizza at the table? I dunno

(3) Result after the first 2-minute bath: Not ultrasound-clean, but much improved:

tempImage1pmM5b.png

(4) Second 2-minute bath, all three racks at once, sightly higher concentration (2 tablespoons in 8 hot but not scalding cups of water). Here is what the water looked like afterward... You can see that not much more came off, but there is still a slight pinkish-orange haze in the water:

tempImageAEwXPA.png

(5) Sample after the second bath:

tempImage3M1oW5.png

So: These are much, much cleaner than before. Many do show some light smudging still... I’ll probably pick out maybe 10% of the worst ones for light hand-cleaning with toothpaste and a toothbrush. They would definitely require deep hand-cleaning and/or ultrasound treatment to get really bright. If I was cleaning these to showcase them, as opposed to actual use, I would go a lot deeper.

But just to prep/update chips which are in play regularly, I think the TSP spinner method is an amazingly quick and easy method. It took me maybe 20-25 minutes to do the three racks, and most of that was busywork of measuring, rinsing, etc., with only 8 minutes actual agitation.

Note:
In retrospect, I wish I had set some of these aside to just soak with Lundmark. It’s possible the spinner isn't really doing much of the work. But I believe it does help.

Final pic of these drying...

tempImageq3S9B0.png

Last edited:
Have probably cleaned many thousands by hand wirh arm and hammer detergent with oxide and my ultrasonic tooth brush and magic eraser

wonder if detergent is cheaper?

i like to clean by hand since I’m never in a rush
Might do 20-40 at night watching TV till I finish a rack or two when I had the Empress set to defunk

Here’s one more pic, of the edges post-cleaning. Major improvement. And actually, the faces have brightened up a tick more once they dried out. They still have just a little bit of a pink/peach undertone compared to minty Cincy $1s.

6BF5B5C4-CCAB-4AE9-8626-8E7C6876CB24.jpeg

Are you not afraid of damaging your poker chips with the salad spinner?
The friction between the poker chips should create an abrasion when you spin the salad spinner.

Are you not afraid of damaging your poker chips with the salad spinner?
The friction between the poker chips should create an abrasion when you spin the salad spinner.

It's done in an aqueous medium, so very little real abrasion. I don't spin it constantly, just one big spin every 8-10 seconds to let the microbubbles work on exposed surfaces without constant agitation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom