Oil and Water Trick (1 Viewer)

Yes Bergs, but the oil water trick works ten times faster... If not more.

I don't know about this toothbrush aspect, as I just drain/strain the chips, and plop them right down onto a towel. Pat the up side of the mass of chips, and you can do a rack in 2-4 minutes...

Agree fully with Trihonda. You can do 100s at a time if you have a big enough container. Just keep scooping up a handful of chip out of the mixture and putting them back. Remember the oil tends to sit on the surface of the water and you need to pass the chips through the oil to get them coated. Best to start by vigourously mixing the oil and water. That tend to created smaller and more dispersed oil droplets. It's a fantastic technique (and as I have said before it's a great way to get asparagus coated with olive oil before placing them on a grill, too!)

HO. LEE. HELL!
I used the water and mineral oil trick today to see if this actually works. I was skeptical. Let me just say this: I have never oiled a sleeve of Majestics that fast! I used to wipe off each chip to get rid of the white dust and oil after. Not anymore. Dip and hit with a toothbrush to get in the ridges and pat dry! Perfection.
"Like oil and water" must have been said by the same person who said "blue and green should never be seen". Obviously not a chipaholic.
I am getting my Majestics in a few days, was planning to do the same with the blanks only though. Did you dunk the chips with labels on as well?

Mildly, careful about doing this before applying stickers... Imagine how well the sticker will adhere to an oiled chip vs a non oiled chip...

Did this last night with my add-on order from CPC for some addtional Donkwoods. I may have gone full retard or maybe I missed this. It worked beautifully for the faces of the chips, but did not work on the rolling edge.

I used a dab of oil on my fingers and did one barrel at a time on their edges.

Did I miss something?

Did this last night with my add-on order from CPC for some addtional Donkwoods. I may have gone full retard or maybe I missed this. It worked beautifully for the faces of the chips, but did not work on the rolling edge.

Did I miss something?

Not sure, but i had the same problem. I did the same thing as you, and just oiled the edges afterwards.

My rolling edges soaked up a TON of oil, before it was evenly soaked in...

Did I miss something?

Probably the oil to water ratio?

I think most of us, who have used the trick successfully, have measured the oil in tablespoons, rather than cups... Too much oil?

I read in another thread that oil attracts gunk/dirt after you oil the chips. For the guys manually applying the oil, too much?

You need very little oil on a rag (just use the index finger) and if you let them air dry on both sides, the freshly cleaned chips will really soak up the oil. Mine were absolutely dry after 4 days and the colors absolutely pop. Dry to the touch and roll in a rack perfectly.

Do you do one side at a time, let it dry, then the other? Or just put oil on a rag, clean both sides at the same time, and let it dry?

I did both sides at the same time. left them to air dry for 24 hours to be sure and then just used a damp to dry cloth to wipe off any access oil before racking them up!

I did both sides at the same time. left them to air dry for 24 hours to be sure and then just used a damp to dry cloth to wipe off any access oil before racking them up!

Has anyone made a YouTube vid?

I do both sides as well. I rub both sides of the chip with a finger behind a diipped rag and set them on a towel. Once I have done a barrel I take each chip and rub it between my hands to get any excess oil off and really get the oil in the nook and crannies. I stack them up one by one till I have the 20 done. Then i lay them out on paper towel to dry for a couple days on both sides that are exposed to the air.

Any YouTube vid to see how much oil is actually needed?

It looks, based on consensus, that Trihonda's method rules...

Has anyone done this with Stardust Poker Mansion Tournament chips?

I LOVE the feel of these chips right now but they do look very slightly ashy... so i would like it if i could get them to POP!!!

But i am afraid i'll lose that silky feel.

I did a trial run using my CPC colour sample set. I went with 1 teaspoon of oil to 1.5 liters of water (stirred it really well) and I think it was too much oil. Some of my chips now have splodges (days later) on the face. I guess this post is useless without pics so I'll come back when I'm home from work... Not 100% sold on the method for a $2000 custom set yet but am not closing my mind to it. I feel it was me who did it wrong, somehow.

The edges look fantastic.

Oiled 450 factory labeled Majestics tonight in about 45 minutes.

Some things I noticed:

o Labels needed to be wiped after dip(this consumed about 30 minutes of the 45)

o No immediate problem with labels

o Surface area of vessel is an important factor for amount of oil to use. I used 1 Tablespoon of oil for a 10 inch diameter pot which had 1.5 gallons of water.

o I used "hot" water, around 95-100° F, my belief here was to keep the oil layer thin and hopefully only transfer a small amount to the chips.

o No problem with oiling the rolling edge on these chips. Other chips may be more porous on the rolling edge and require additional oiling.

o My vote is for oiling China Clays

Just read through this thread again... I want a better oiling method... it seems like the people who rave about this method are using it on china clays. Several people with clays are reporting splotchiness... though they may have used a bad ratio. The originator of the thread most recently is describing the dab of oil on a rag method.

So what gives? Has anyone had success using this oil/water method on freshly cleaned Paulsons?

While were at it... here's my current method. Get a barrel of chips. Put one dab of oil on a rag... finger in the rag, covering the opening of the bottle... rock it over to get some on the rag. Then one at a time, put a dab of oil on each chip from the barrel... right on the face. Lay them out in a line. When you get to the 20th chip, wipe both sides of the chip completely. Now work backwards up the line and wipe the oil into both sides of each chip. Once done with the barrel, stack it as a barrel and rub the rolling edge. Next I lay all the chips out on a towel. After that, get a new dab of oil and another barrel of chips... repeat.

With this method, I find that there is very little "removal of excess oil". By the time you get to the last chips, you are almost scrubbing the oil into the chip. The reason for dabbing oil on the chips first is to distribute the oil across all of the chips... somewhat evenly... then go back and rub it in. What I found when I just got a dab and started oiling chips is the first 5 got too much oil, and then eventually it was good. Then I had to go back and "remove excess."

Again... I would love an easier method... that is consistently good. Using the ultrasonic cleaner... I can clean 500 chips in less than an hour... but my current oiling method takes about an hour to oil 100 chips.

I hand oiled over 1000 CCs with a rag and mineral oil. I let them sit for 4 days and then used paper towels to wipe them down.

It was a fun project and I will do it again anyday. Unless I need to do like 10,000 chips or something, I think hand oiling isn't bad at all (actually fun, I inspected each chip).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom