Oil and Water Trick (1 Viewer)

leo822

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know the right ratio of water to Mineral Oil for oiling chips? Duration?

Thanks,

E

But on a serious note: use a very small amount. A drop or three on a rag goes a loooooooong way. Oil the chips a stack at a time, only on the rolling edge. The oil will seep into the chips from there.

Last edited:
Just a little. I would try 1/2 teaspoon in about a quart of water. You can always add more if you dont feel the chips are getting sufficiently coated

Doesn't the oil just separate from the water? I need a refund on my high school science classes.

Also need a refund on my middle school typing classes, if you saw how this looked before editing it.
Yes. You'll end up with wet chips that may have spots where oil adhered.

Yes. You'll end up with wet chips that may have spots where oil adhered.

This is not the case.

You might think this is what will happen, but in reality, the chips are completely and evenly coated. Much more so than when using a rag or dauber...

I hear a lot of people claim this shouldn't work, etc... But I've never heard of someone who HAS tried it, then later claim it didn't work. I've used all methods to oil chips, and will never use another after experiencing how effective and quick this oil/water trick is.

To answer the OP question, I use a gallon of warm water and a tablespoon of min oil. I use a strainer inside of a larger bowl. I do stir up the oil/water mix a bit before adding chips, The chips get dumped in, I use my hands to give them a very short mixing, 10 secs, then lift out the strainer.. I allow the water to drain off for a few seconds, then dump the chips onto a nearby towel. You can do a couple barrels at a time, but this is more dependent on the size of the bowl.

Caveat, never use this method on any "labeled" chip, such as a China clay, etc... However, any inlayed (or hotstamped) chip should be 100% ok with a 10 second bath in a bowl of warm water.

.....To answer the OP question, I use a gallon of warm water and a tablespoon of min oil. I use a strainer inside of a larger bowl. I do stir up the oil/water mix a bit before adding chips....

That's how I did these BCC's (except I used about 1-TBSP to 1/2 gal water) and yes, you do need to keep it mixed up

BCC splash.jpg

Thanks guys...I have heard about this trick and how effective it is. I will try it out on some test chips first and report back.

and yes, you do need to keep it mixed up

^ That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, if indeed the oil is actually getting transferred to the chips when they ~exit~ the water/oil solution -- in which case, having the oil separate and float on the water surface would ensure that the chips receive an even coating when exiting.

I hear a lot of people claim this shouldn't work, etc... But I've never heard of someone who HAS tried it, then later claim it didn't work. I've used all methods to oil chips, and will never use another after experiencing how effective and quick this oil/water trick is.

Yup, was skeptical, but this is the trick i used to oil my Silks, and will be using this method for all my oiling needs going forward.

I'm guessing that the water and oil do mix together temporarily, but will of course separate over a short amount of time. Perhaps the trick is to dip the chips after freshly stirred. I'm sure if you left the bucket over night all the oil would be on top. Will test with different ratios starting with 1 tablespoon per gallon.

Perhaps 3:20 ideal dip time? or wait for it to slick?

I tried it but the very thirsty BCC chips came out blotchy. I ended up using a shoe-polish dauber, which i usually don't like to use because it applies too much oil for my taste. After oiling, I washed them with Dawn and warm water; now they're perfect. In my experience, different chips have different needs, and our job as chip guardians is to determine those needs and fulfill them.

Yikes..blotchy? That's no good. I like @gopherblue idea of doing the edges and letting the oil seep in an distribute. Question is how long is needed? The plastic clamp is a great idea.

I'm gonna try that method once I get my hot stamped chips back from Corey. @Trihonda @Weckedy, wouldn't the solution seep under the inlay though? (My soon to be wife might look at me funny, like WTF are you washing poker chips in a bowl?)

Im sure if you leave it in the oil/water solution long enough, it will.
But, total amount of submersion time is less than a minute, and then they come out of the water.
I lay them single layer on a towel, and wipe them down right after. No time and or excess oil for seepage.

Never had any seepage problems with the 1000+ chips ive oiled so far. (y) :thumbsup:

^ That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, if indeed the oil is actually getting transferred to the chips when they ~exit~ the water/oil solution -- in which case, having the oil separate and float on the water surface would ensure that the chips receive an even coating when exiting.

I had not considered that. Maybe my solution was not mixed up as much as I thought.

HO. LEE. HELL!
I used the water and mineral oil trick today to see if this actually works. I was skeptical. Let me just say this: I have never oiled a sleeve of Majestics that fast! I used to wipe off each chip to get rid of the white dust and oil after. Not anymore. Dip and hit with a toothbrush to get in the ridges and pat dry! Perfection.
"Like oil and water" must have been said by the same person who said "blue and green should never be seen". Obviously not a chipaholic.

HO. LEE. HELL!
I used the water and mineral oil trick today to see if this actually works. I was skeptical. Let me just say this: I have never oiled a sleeve of Majestics that fast! I used to wipe off each chip to get rid of the white dust and oil after. Not anymore. Dip and hit with a toothbrush to get in the ridges and pat dry! Perfection.
"Like oil and water" must have been said by the same person who said "blue and green should never be seen". Obviously not a chipaholic.
What is the oil to water %? Did you do it with like5 cups water 1 cup oil???

More like 5 cups of water and a tablespoon of oil (maybe two). Doesn't take much. Depending on how well it works, maybe a teenie more?

More like 5 cups of water and a tablespoon of oil (maybe two). Doesn't take much. Depending on how well it works, maybe a teenie more?
Water should be warm right? I intend to try a few of my hot stamps with it when they come in.

To be honest at first I filled my bathroom sink about half full. Dumped in what happened to be WAY too much. Probably a good ounce. The first chip came out like it was encased in tar or worst-head-cold-ever-snot. I drained it to a quarter and filled the sink and that worked perfect. So I'd say yeah, use a tablespoonful with your average sink's worth of warm water.

I take some mineral oil, dab it on a wash cloth, and wipe the edge and face of the chip quickly. Put the chip down on a paper towel, do the next one. Dab more mineral oil when needed. When you've oiled them all, take the unoiled part of the washcloth can give the face and edge of the chip a wipe and pop it in a rack. Use Guinness' roll method when you're done with a barrel to ensure that they're dried and not over oiled. Easy peasy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom