Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (39 Viewers)

This week, just the Willet 7year. Last time was the Haystack Needle. Next time, I’m not sure yet.

Best prices in town, and not even close
Does anyone know what juice is in that haystack needle? I keep hearing great stuff about it

I’d kill for a pour at some point

Bit of a confession here - I've gone on a pretty good buying clip the last few months, and it was really starting to create some problems at home, putting undo friction on the family. It got to that point, and I knew I had to do something about it. Luckily, I found a few resources very close to home to provide some much needed support, and figured I share :)

20240423_211846.jpg

20240423_211828.jpg

20240423_221132.jpg

20240423_223337.jpg

Whew, shit was really getting out of hand!! I mean bottles everywhere, just cluttering up too much of the house. Some scrap plywood and pocket screws, a little planning and a couple hours in the shop..... much better now :cool

Where? I'm eying up the JD10 & 12
Jailbreak Brewing company.
Owner used to buy a ton for another business, and they’d throw in these hard to find bottles for nothing. He’s been sitting on them for years, and pulls one out anytime one empties.

I can't believe the bottles I'm finding in UT right now. Have to hunt a bit, but I'm not disappointed that I can now find more than just the run of the mill offerings from big distilleries.
It was gonna be Wagon Wednesday, but that might change now...
View attachment 1317844
Looks like an Alberta Premium old fashioned kinda night. :cool

Here's a heads up match you won't see every day......

20240424_202046.jpg

In clearing out some whiskey hiding spots last nigjt, I found this old bottle of JD that @Klobberer brought to one the jersey meetups that I totally forgot about. It's got some age on it :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

20240424_202141.jpg

Anyways, I promised to run a comparison to a modern JD, so here it is!!

Jack Daniel's No 7. - 2023 vs 1993

Nose: '23 gives the standard JD nose, sweet vanilla, banana and brown sugar with just a touch of oak. The '93 has the similar sweet brown sugar notes, but also a distinctly different medicinal note (borderline plastic-like), like a dr pepper or birch beer... slightly more punchy as well (the '93 was at the slightly higher 86 proof)

Palate: '23 gives a very mellow followup to the nose, vanilla-banana with a bit of dry oak on the finish. The '93 is very similar, but maintains that odd medicinal note. You can tell these are both JD, but there are definitely some differences. Now, whether its a difference in the actual juice, or just a little 30 year old dust, who knows lol.

View attachment 1317870

In clearing out some whiskey hiding spots last nigjt, I found this old bottle of JD that @Klobberer brought to one the jersey meetups that I totally forgot about. It's got some age on it :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 1317871

Nose: '23 gives the standard JD nose, sweet vanilla, banana and brown sugar with just a touch of oak. The '93 has the similar sweet brown sugar notes, but also a distinctly different medicinal note (borderline plastic-like), like a dr pepper or birch beer... slightly more punchy as well (the '93 was at the slightly higher 86 proof)

Palate: '23 gives a very mellow followup to the nose, vanilla-banana with a bit of dry oak on the finish. The '93 is very similar, but maintains that odd medicinal note. You can tell these are both JD, but there are definitely some differences. Now, whether its a difference in the actual juice, or just a little 30 year old dust, who knows lol.
I cut my teeth on 86p JD and WT101…good stuff. I’m genuinely jealous that you still have some 86p JD. Very cool!

I cut my teeth on 86p JD and WT101…good stuff. I’m genuinely jealous that you still have some 86p JD. Very cool!
Same here! I remember the upheaval from my college buddies & I when they reduced it 80 proof lol. Quite a different perspective back then :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

You misspelled single malt Saturday. Or is that Sunday?
Scotch/Single Malt Sunday. Malt Monday obviously also qualifies there as we experienced this week ;)

Gotta say, this Booker's is great. Lots of brown sugar, hints of vanilla, I always get a bit of nutty note from Beam as well, not nearly as hot as I would have thought for 124.5 proof, long warm finish with brown sugar sticking around and the oak coming in but not overpowering. I'm going to try and find a backup, $96 with tax here.

View attachment 1317870

View attachment 1317871

I'll bring this little '03 to JiJ...
20240425_062958.jpg

View attachment 1317870

View attachment 1317871

I hope you didn't misplace the JD Gold and JD 10 Batch 1 that I brought as well!

How is this? I've seen this a bunch of times and always end up passing.
It’s really good! Easily the best double oaked bourbon I ever had. Very similar in profile with EC toasted, but the extra age and proof this adds gives it way more depth in flavors and complexity. Crazy long finish too. Since they’re single barrels, I have to imagine that there’s some clunkers out there though.

Is it $200 good? Probably not to most, but this was my Christmas gift from Mrs Baroo and I’m very happy to have it! Definitely a splurge purchase if you really like double oaked whiskey.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom