Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (40 Viewers)

20240420_214103.jpg

Mashbill #2 4-way blind. Poured by my wife.

View attachment 1315824
View attachment 1315825
Ok. These are all pretty basic and in the same family. Caramel, vanilla, oak, rye spice. So here is my ranking:

B - Similar to the rest but turnt up. Higher proof I think. My guess is Rock Hill Farms.

C - This one hits a bit different. Sweeter at first, then more depth than A and D. I’m not sure here. Either John J Bowman or Blanton’s.

A - I think this is Blanton’s. Maybe. I’ve had like 69 bottles of Blanton’s through the years. Typical caramel, vanilla, oak. Like the most classic “bourbon” flavors.

D - Weak sauce compared to the rest. Just less of every flavor note. Your basic bitch, though still good. Just not great. Probably Elmer T Lee. Don’t buy this, unless you get it at retail.

Last edited:
Had a 3 pour night tonight to ease my 1000 bb loss last night on pokerrrr 2. I feel much better About that hand where @kirchhausen manged to scoop me with :7s::ad:when I had :ts::tx:on a flop/turn of :ah::tc::9c::8h:and we got all in ran it twice and he found 2 sixes. And then he had to go to sleep because he was in France and it was 4 am or something. And he even taunted me in French!

First pour was a ECBP 521. Killed the bottle. Was delish.

Second pour was one of those Jefferson voyage bottles. It was nice. Not as good as the first.

Third pour was willet bourbon. Completely unremarkable in every way. It’s like they gave the distiller instructions to “keep it smooth, but take out ALL the flavor profiles” There was nothing.

I'm on a mission to lighten up my whiskey cart. Only having bourbon one night a week makes this challenge harder than it would have been a back in 2021.

Anyone have any recommendations for this flavor profile?
IMG_5571.jpeg

Ok. These are all pretty basic and in the same family. Caramel, vanilla, oak, rye spice. So here is my ranking:

B - Similar to the rest but turnt up. Higher proof I think. My guess is Rock Hill Farms.

C - This one hits a bit different. Sweeter at first, then more depth than A and C. I’m not sure here. Either John J Bowman or Blanton’s.

A - I think this is Blanton’s. Maybe. I’ve had like 69 bottles of Blanton’s through the years. Typical caramel, vanilla, oak. Like the most classic “bourbon” flavors.

D - Weak sauce compared to the rest. Just less of every flavor note. Your basic bitch, though still good. Just not great. Probably Elmer T Lee. Don’t buy this, unless you get it at retail.
My money would have been on the Bowman. I still to this day don’t understand the hype with ETL…absolutely nothing special whatsoever with that bottle. If I ever found a bottle of it at retail, I’d flip it without hesitation. I’d love to find a Rock Hill Farms but I can’t imagine it being worth the premium it commands over the Bowman. Bowman single barrels are just incredible for the $50 retail I can get them at.

My money would have been on the Bowman. I still to this day don’t understand the hype with ETL…absolutely nothing special whatsoever with that bottle. If I ever found a bottle of it at retail, I’d flip it without hesitation. I’d love to find a Rock Hill Farms but I can’t imagine it being worth the premium it commands over the Bowman. Bowman single barrels are just incredible for the $50 retail I can get them at.
Results:

IMG_9851.jpeg

Think I guessed them all correctly. ETL is fine. It’s fine. I’d pay $50 for it. Too bad I’ve paid much higher for the 3 bottles I have.

Blanton’s is Blanton’s. If you don’t have one, it’s worth $100. If you can find it at MSRP, well, that’s where it should be.

John J Bowman is a hitter for the price. But it’s becoming even harder to find as people find out. Best value of the group for sure.

Rock Hill Farms is the best here. But of course, it’s impossible to get and way too expensive on secondary.

So Utah has typically been terrible to get good whiskey in, with the exception of high west. I have bought the majority of my stuff across the Nevada border, on work trips to Cincinnati, or from you fine folks in other states. They have always done lottery draws for allocated stuff, or it has a weird distribution to a select few stores nowhere near me, and then it doesn't sell and gets discontinued. This morning I was driving down main and saw a line forming at the state liquor store, which is odd, so I stopped because I figured it had to be whiskey. I've heard rumors of Blanton's showing on the DABC website in the warehouse stock. Sure enough, the state quietly has changed how they are doing allocated drops. Blanton's, Eagle Rare, and Parker Heritage Collection, 1 bottle per person/transaction (you could get back in line after checking out). My local store had Blanton's Gold and Original. Gold ran out 3 people in front of me, and the lady in front of me sold me her original because she only wanted the gold. Sent my dad over, they had straight from the barrel, gold, original, and eagle Rare. Apparently people were at the store 5 hours before opening for the SFTB, my dad and his partner picked up 2 more originals for me. You better believe I'll be earlier next month.
PXL_20240421_081348574.jpg

Had a 3 pour night tonight to ease my 1000 bb loss last night on pokerrrr 2. I feel much better About that hand where @kirchhausen manged to scoop me with :7s::ad:when I had :ts::tx:on a flop/turn of :ah::tc::9c::8h:and we got all in ran it twice and he found 2 sixes. And then he had to go to sleep because he was in France and it was 4 am or something. And he even taunted me in French!
It says right in the good book:

Proverbs 11:24 - One person gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.

Give action and you will prosper. Nit it up and you will be drinking 3 pours the next day wondering where it all went wrong. (At least that is my interpretation).

IMG_0001.jpeg

First pour was a ECBP 521. Killed the bottle. Was delish.

Second pour was one of those Jefferson voyage bottles. It was nice. Not as good as the first.

Third pour was willet bourbon. Completely unremarkable in every way. It’s like they gave the distiller instructions to “keep it smooth, but take out ALL the flavor profiles” There was nothing.

I'm on a mission to lighten up my whiskey cart. Only having bourbon one night a week makes this challenge harder than it would have been a back in 2021.

Anyone have any recommendations for this flavor profile?
View attachment 1315836
EC Toasted Barrel or Barrell Amburana if you want coconut toasted marshmallow.

JD 10 & 12 sampling tonight, thanks again @Saoliver !

View attachment 1316243
Man these were both excellent, especially the 12, just an explosion of vanilla-banana pudding with lots of other subtle sweet and spicy notes, very well balanced. Would love to find a bottle, but IMHO it doesn't live up the $250+ secondary prices it often goes for (few bottles would). And that's coming from probably the biggest Jack fan on the forum. Thank you again @Saoliver for the opportunity to give it a taste!

Man these were both excellent, especially the 12, just an explosion of vanilla-banana pudding with lots of other subtle sweet and spicy notes, very well balanced. Would love to find a bottle, but IMHO it doesn't live up the $250+ secondary prices it often goes for (few bottles would). And that's coming from probably the biggest Jack fan on the forum. Thank you again @Saoliver for the opportunity to give it a taste!
Few bottles live up to a $200+ price tag

Few bottles live up to a $200+ price tag
I dont mind splurging for a special bottle here and there, be it a high end retail bottle I really enjoy (say like a Glendronach 21) or a bottle that that should be sub $100 but I'm overpaying because of the allocation/distribution in my area is limited (Stagg).

As to whether or not I splurge, I look at it in two ways. First is a comparison within the brand. I can get the JDBP for $60ish fairly regularly. The 12 is definitely a nicer bottle, but nowhere near 4X nicer. I'd splurge for the EC18 or KC18 at say $175-$185 (~twice the price of the next lower offering in the brand), and if the JD12 was in that range I'd happily grab one.

The other comparison is similar offerings, and again at $60 to $80 for KC12 or ECBP (12ish), the 3x to 4x isn't worth the premium. At sub $100 or retail I'm fighting to buy as many as I can :)

Hopefully the hype on these will simmer, or they'll increase supply at some point. Maybe once the JD15 gets released....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom