Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (36 Viewers)

I finally cracked mine last night. I didn't have anything old and cask strength to compare it to, so I put it up against some Willett 4 year, normally a favorite of mine. It was no contest. Although, in fairness, the Willett bottle was at least 6 months since opened and 80% empty.

20240306_203619.jpg

I finally cracked mine last night. I didn't have anything old and cask strength to compare it to, so I put it up against some Willett 4 year, normally a favorite of mine. It was no contest. Although, in fairness, the Willett bottle was at least 6 months since opened and 80% empty.

View attachment 1288035
I'm really looking forward to trying this one. It's funny, when it comes to ryes, many of my favorites are either fairly young (4-7,years) or have no age statements - Willett 4 yr, Alberta premium cask strength, Blackened RTL, Barrel Seagrass. I'm hoping that trying this one doesn't ruin the rest lol

Haha. I threw Old Overholt 10 cask rye into the mix as well.

1. OO10
2. KC 2010
3. KC 2009

They were all delicious. The OO10 jumps out of the glass compared to the KCs. And the 2009 and 2010 were super close, I just enjoyed the flavor more in the 2010. They all had nice long finishes too
I have KC2009 >>>KC2010

Cant wait to try this OO10!

I'm really looking forward to trying this one. It's funny, when it comes to ryes, many of my favorites are either fairly young (4-7,years) or have no age statements - Willett 4 yr, Alberta premium cask strength, Blackened RTL, Barrel Seagrass. I'm hoping that trying this one doesn't ruin the rest lol
Hmmm. It might. Seagrass is finished, so that's a different animal, and why I didn't compare them. Maybe I will do that one this weekend. I wasn't impressed with Alberta Premium as a sipper. It's a little hot, but it makes an amazing old fashioned. You're just gonna hafta take the plunge and see.

I wish I could get my hands on some Michter's barrel strength rye. The regular US-1 is amazing, in spite of only being 85 proof. I can only imagine how good it is at around 110... :unsure:

Anyone here with Japanese age stated? Looking to trade my bourbon for Japanese whisky. You guys know what I have. I’m looking for

Hibiki 12, 17,21
Nikka 12, 17, 21
Yamazaki 18

Here’s just a few to refresh your memory
IMG_6106.jpeg

A6 v B6

A6 - nose - brown sugar, fruit, proof
palette - oak, cherry, char, long finish

B6 - nose - caramel, leather, pepper, proof
palette - tabacco, pepper, oak, burnt brown sugar, long finish, great mouth feel

winner - B6

Tough choise, A6 had better nose, but B6 had more depth on the palette and a more viscous mouth feel.

C5 v D4

C5 - nose - caramel, cinnamon, oak, proof
palette - brown sugar, dark chocolate, cinnamon, dark cherry, spearmint, long finish, great mouth feel

D4 - Nose - banana, oak, red fruit
palette - banana bread, oak, great mouth feel, burnt brown sugar, great oily mouth feel.

winner - C5

This was the hardest one yet. Every sip i would switch between who was the winner. If they had been on opposite sides I could see this being the final. In the end the depth, mouth feel, and long lasting finish of C5 won

bracket16.jpeg

Best value in bourbon…would love thoughts on this.
ECBP is still my number one. At least 10 years old and BP…love the haters who dissect one batch from another but its always good and always affordable.
EHT small batch. Can still get it around 69 when it hits the store near me.
Larceny BP…only getting better with every batch
Henry McKenna 10 year

ECBP is still my number one. At least 10 years old and BP…love the haters who dissect one batch from another but its always good and always affordable.
Henry McKenna 10 year
Yeah ECBP is hard to beat. WT101 is also super solid for the price.
The new bardstown origin wheater is a steal for $50ish

Henry McKenna 10 year
Sooo subjective but in no particular order: WT rare breed, coopers craft 100, knob creek single barrel (obviously varies), blue note uncut/unfiltered are all bangers for a reasonable price

Bracket Finals

B6 v C5

B6 nose - tabacco, char, oak, pepper
palette - tabacco, leather, burnt brown sugar, proof
C5 nose - dark chocolate, cocoa, oak
palette - dark chocolate,brown sugar, cinnamon, oily mouth
feel, long finish

winner - C5
both great, but C5 just had such a silky long lasting finish it won.

brackket 17.jpeg

When I did my brackets I did not yet have my 2023 George T Stagg. so I decided I would take the bracket winner, and blind it against GTS for a final winner.

gts.jpeg

finals.jpeg

Whiskey of the year
Blind GTS 2023 v Bracket winner C5

Glass A nose - cherry, proof, oak, leather
palette - brown sugar, dark cherry, strong tingly finish

Glass B nose - brown sugar, char, proof
palette - dark cherry, burnt brown sugar, caramel, long finish, oily mouth feel.

Both pours were amazing. Glass A had a amazing mid palette and the finish was powerful and left my mouth tingly, but the flavor fell off. Blass B the finish had great depth and was long and a silky oily mouth feel that lasted.
Winner - Glass B

I will follow up with a reveal post

Picked one those up a month or 2 ago. Curious what your take on it is, I was not impressed with the neck pour. As I get more into it though it seems to be opening up nicely. Need a couple more pours I think View attachment 1287008
Good news. It does open up. I bought a second bottle because it's really solid at that $45 ish price point.

Results

Round of 32
Bakers 13
redwood empire lost monarch cs
Elijah Craig c923
Little Book Chapter 7
New Riff Silver Grove
Larceny C923
Redwood empire Pipe Dream CS
4 Roses SBBS OESV 11year 112.6 teir 2
EH Taylor BP Batch 12
Stagg 23a
rock hill farms
John J Bowman SiB
old forester sib 100 ohlq#7047
Stagg 23b
Old Forester sbbp Wild Indian 131.5 J/2
Jack Daniels 10 year
Blue Note UCUF 122.7
Old Forester sbbp Bottom of the Barrel 130.2 k/4
stagg 23c
Larceny B523
Weller 107 OHLQ sib pick
russell reseve sib distillery pick
Jack Daniels 12 year
old forester sbbp john o's 2023 127.1 h/4
weller cypb
Old Forester 117 Bottled in Bond
larceny a123
Jack Daniels sbbp 130.5 (decanter)
New Riff Barrel Pick BBNAGBII
1792 Full Proof John o's Pick
Old Fitz 10 year
Bernheim c923
Sweet 16
Old forester SBBP John O's
Old Forester SBBP Bottom of the Barrel
Old Forester SBBP Wild Indian
Old Forester 100 OHLQ pick
Russel Reserve Single Barrel
EH Taylor BP batch 12
Stagg 23b
John J Bowman Single Barrel
Redwood Empire Pipe Dream Cask Strength
Old Fitz 10 year BiB
Bernheim BP C923
Elijah Craig C923
1792 Full Proof John O's
Jack Daniels 10 year
Old Forester 117 BiB
Jack Daniels 12 Yea
Elite 8
Old Forester sbbp Bottom of the Barrel
Old Forester sbbp Wild Indian
EH Taylor BP batch 12
Stagg 23b
Redwood Empire Pipe Dream Cask Strength
Elijah Craig C923
1792 Full Proof John O's
Jack Daniels 12
Final 4
Old Forester sbbp Wild Indian
Stagg 23b
Elijah Craig C923
Jack Daniels 12
Finals
Stagg 23b
Elijah Craig C923
Bracket Winner
Elijah Craig C923
bracketfinal.jpeg
key.jpeg

Thoughts
Bracket Busters

Redwood Empire Pipe Dream cask Strength - Wow this bottle made it far, I knew I liked the redwoord empire in general and pipe dream specifically but this was a surprise
1792 full proof John O's pick - I dod not expect this to go as far as it did, for reference the OFSBBP wild indian is also a pick from John o's. That store does a fantastic job.
JJ Bowman - slight surprise this beat rock hill farms, but shows it is an excellent bottle that can be normally found at msrp
No Suprise
Elijah Craig C923 - I am on my 2nd bottle and I have loved it form forst sip. no surprise it went all the way
Jack Daniels 12 - Anotehr of my favorites I expected it to do well.
Stagg and OFSBBP - I love all of these releases, a bit surprised the OF single barrels swept round 1 but no to surprised
Take Aways
elijah Craig C923 is the best release at least since 2021 as I have all those bottles
If you see a Old Forester sbbp grab it.
I really like Brown Foreman products.

Finals
Glass A v Glass B

winner.jpeg

Overall winner
George T Stagg 2023

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom