Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (35 Viewers)

Bracket winner
61B9F501-EBB4-4424-828F-41EDD9982140.jpeg

As with every poker night, the first one in nearly two and a half years was no different. I always start the night off by opening a brand new bottle that we've never had before and toasting to the evening.

I've been following Calumet for the past year, reading reviews on their various releases. And so far I had not been impressed with the tasting profiles or the impressions. However, the 16-year seemed to hit a sweet spot.

It's pretty damn good, I just don't know if it's $129 good.

PXL_20220730_161851398.PORTRAIT.jpg

As with every poker night, the first one in nearly two and a half years was no different. I always start the night off by opening a brand new bottle that we've never had before and toasting to the evening.

I've been following Calumet for the past year, reading reviews on their various releases. And so far I had not been impressed with the tasting profiles or the impressions. However, the 16-year seemed to hit a sweet spot.

It's pretty damn good, I just don't know if it's $129 good.

View attachment 958346
At least you got it at a decent price! It’s $150 +tax if you can find it in NC

At least you got it at a decent price! It’s $150 +tax if you can find it in NC
Funny story, actually. My buddy had been really pushing to get this Calumet 16. And I kept telling him that he's trying too hard to get a new bottle to add to his collection. I wasn't sold on the reviews at first. But he kept saying that the more and more he investigates it, the more he's leaning towards getting it.

So he hears that a store 30 minutes away has one for $140. He decides to pull the trigger and head down. I'm upset that I'm not getting a new bottle (yes I am that petty), so I go down to the local store about 5 minutes away. And they have 6 bottles for $129.

He's already bought his, so I text him a picture of me holding this bottle with the caption, "I win".

Once my alcohol drops below 50% I'll have to try this again to verify whether I pickup another bottle @ $129

A friend just texted me wanting to drive down to Kentucky next weekend to visit a distillery. His objectives seem to be, in order: (1) picking up some good and hard to find bottles; (2) tasting; (3) possibly a tour. He suggested Buffalo Trace, but from what I’ve heard I’m not sure that trip would be very productive on (1). Any suggestions?

A friend just texted me wanting to drive down to Kentucky next weekend to visit a distillery. His objectives seem to be, in order: (1) picking up some good and hard to find bottles; (2) tasting; (3) possibly a tour. He suggested Buffalo Trace, but from what I’ve heard I’m not sure that trip would be very productive on (1). Any suggestions?
Sounds like a fun time. Just know that people in Kentucky often have a hard time finding good bottles too.

From yesterday. They got some great stuff, but they also know when and where to go.

At BT tours are free and a lot to choose from. Tasting only the basics plus a couple of interesting non-whiskey selections. They always have one "allocated" selection in the gift shop. Limited to one bottle per customer every 3 months. On the day we stopped by it was EH Taylor Small Batch. Unless you're going craft, I highly recommend BT.

@Saoliver is right, it can be tricky even for the folks that live in KY. That being said, booking a tour ahead of time can be huge. The Heaven Hill Bourbon Experience will often end with an option at some more rare bottles. That would be my first choice from what I’ve heard. But I’d also try and choose distilleries that your friend likes

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom