Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (44 Viewers)

20220517_172505.jpg

Artwork by @BonScot

thanks to @Billy Baroo
for trading me a sagamore Spirits single barrel pick.
sagmore.jpg

In addition he sent a blind flight and a sample of his russell reserve select barrel to compare against mine.
compare.jpg

A. His Russell reserve 2020 warehouse G Floor 4
B, My Russel reserve 2021 warehouse B floor 4

A.
Nose: His bottle has a much stronger alcohol smell on the nose, it is also very earthy and strong scent of citrus.
taste: First thing that hit me was it was very oaky on the front. Across the tongue I got a citrus almost orange peel flavor. The finish is mildly spicy and dry, it has a long finish that left my cheeks tingling.

B.
nose: milder scent, hints of caramel and nutty fragrance.
taste: much less oak than his bottle. on the front I get cherry with some cinnamon as it passes over the tongue. The finish is baking spices, it doesn;t have the dryness of his bottle but leaves my mouth tingling the same with a long finish.

Both bottles are very good, but overall I would choose my bottle simply because I am not a big fan of a heavy oak flavor.

thanks to @Billy Baroo
for trading me a sagamore Spirits single barrel pick.
View attachment 912971

In addition he sent a blind flight and a sample of his russell reserve select barrel to compare against mine.
View attachment 912972

A. His Russell reserve 2020 warehouse G Floor 4
B, My Russel reserve 2021 warehouse B floor 4

A.
Nose: His bottle has a much stronger alcohol smell on the nose, it is also very earthy and strong scent of citrus.
taste: First thing that hit me was it was very oaky on the front. Across the tongue I got a citrus almost orange peel flavor. The finish is mildly spicy and dry, it has a long finish that left my cheeks tingling.

B.
nose: milder scent, hints of caramel and nutty fragrance.
taste: much less oak than his bottle. on the front I get cherry with some cinnamon as it passes over the tongue. The finish is baking spices, it doesn;t have the dryness of his bottle but leaves my mouth tingling the same with a long finish.

Both bottles are very good, but overall I would choose my bottle simply because I am not a big fan of a heavy oak flavor.
Glad everything arrived safely! Enjoyed your take on the two bottles. I’ll do another side by side comparison once my bottle of the same that you have gets here. Our tasting notes are vastly different. Maybe my palate was a little off that night. But you’re dead on about the oak…my bottle is very oaky and that’s a trait I love in a bourbon.

I’ll just say this…prepare yourself for a little bit of oak in some of your blind samples because it’s in those as well. Nothing obnoxious and maybe not as oaky as my Russell’s, but they’ll let you know it’s there.

Edit…you forgot to show everybody the sweet “tater” sticker on the back of the Sagamore:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Blind tasting from @wolfpack ...

Sample A

Not much on the nose. Ethanol and very slight sweetness. Palate is bland up front. Corny mid palate and no finish. Very slight hug.

I'm guessing a 90 proof young whiskey. Doesn't even taste crafty. Maybe a sourced MGP...

Sample B

Here we go... Has some spice to the nose. Very subtle cinnamon or rye spice. Enjoyable.

Palate is nice and sweet. Tastes very Willett. Reminds me of a Willett bourbon. Cinnamonny.

Once again, not high proof. 90-100.

Sample C

Nose is super light and sweet. Like A without the ethanol.

Palate is sweet with a hint of spice like a barely legal rye. Once again 90-100 proof.

Samples D, E, and F will be later.

Blind tasting from @wolfpack ...

Sample A

Not much on the nose. Ethanol and very slight sweetness. Palate is bland up front. Corny mid palate and no finish. Very slight hug.

I'm guessing a 90 proof young whiskey. Doesn't even taste crafty. Maybe a sourced MGP...

Sample B

Here we go... Has some spice to the nose. Very subtle cinnamon or rye spice. Enjoyable.

Palate is nice and sweet. Tastes very Willett. Reminds me of a Willett bourbon. Cinnamonny.

Once again, not high proof. 90-100.

Sample C

Nose is super light and sweet. Like A without the ethanol.

Palate is sweet with a hint of spice like a barely legal rye. Once again 90-100 proof.

Samples D, E, and F will be later.
Ill post what everything is after your doen and rank them, although I will say I am really really surprised with your take on sample A

@wolfpack

Sample D

Crafty, malty, smoky...not bourbony or rye-y. Tastes just like it smells. Texas?

Sample E

Funky! Weird! Not my jam. Sweet, drying dark fruits, raisins. Probably finished in a weird barrel.

Sample F

Winner! Super delish bourbon nose, 110+ Awesome nose, classic flavor...winner.

@Klobberer

Sample A
This is the Grand Dad Weller 4 Grain blend
3 parts weller special reserve to 2 parts old grand dad 114 works out to 99.6 proof
I was surprised by your take on this, I definitely get the spice form the OGD 114 when I drink it.

Sample B
My Russell Reserve select barrel 2021 warehouse B floor 4.
Your tasting notes were similar to mine comparing it to the @Billy Baroo bottle sample

Sample C
Evan Williams Bottled in Bond
Decent drink, I always get a strong roasted peanut on the taste with this.

Sample D
Riverhill Bourbon
small craft distillery located on a farm in Luray Virginia. They distill the grain they grow on the farm, this one is 90 proof and 90% corn and 10% malted barley.

Sample E
1205 Distillery 4 finger rye 90 proof
Craft distillery in Indinapolis

Sample F
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
My favorite bourbon, like drinking candy.

@Klobberer

Sample A
This is the Grand Dad Weller 4 Grain blend
3 parts weller special reserve to 2 parts old grand dad 114 works out to 99.6 proof
I was surprised by your take on this, I definitely get the spice form the OGD 114 when I drink it.

Sample B
My Russell Reserve select barrel 2021 warehouse B floor 4.
Your tasting notes were similar to mine comparing it to the @Billy Baroo bottle sample

Sample C
Evan Williams Bottled in Bond
Decent drink, I always get a strong roasted peanut on the taste with this.

Sample D
Riverhill Bourbon
small craft distillery located on a farm in Luray Virginia. They distill the grain they grow on the farm, this one is 90 proof and 90% corn and 10% malted barley.

Sample E
1205 Distillery 4 finger rye 90 proof
Craft distillery in Indinapolis

Sample F
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
My favorite bourbon, like drinking candy.
Is D the same one I had that I thought was scotch?

At $300 a bottle, off the neck pour alone.....I say it is not worth the money. However, it could open up like a Stagg Jr, but this bottle should be $80 max.

In other Kentucky Owl whiskey news, the last batch rye #4 is also $300. I feel that it should be half that, but it is the best whiskey I have ever had. Lol

yes, but you thought both you tried were scotch didn't you.
I think it was the smoky/malty flavors that threw me off. For some reason, I got the briny iodine flavor too. With all that, my brain said scotch. Then I rinsed and used the same glass for the 2nd sample.

Mistakes were made. Lol

1652888868586.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom