Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (32 Viewers)

Couldn't tell what pact it was. I'm 6'4" and the shelf was still too high. $40-50 I can handle for a bottle of sauce. Get near $100 and eh not so much. My store had a couple bottles of Booker's lately as well. $82 I think. They were both gone today, but it wasn't me who did it.

Couldn't tell what pact it was. I'm 6'4" and the shelf was still too high. $40-50 I can handle for a bottle of sauce. Get near $100 and eh not so much. My store had a couple bottles of Booker's lately as well. $82 I think. They were both gone today, but it wasn't me who did it.

82 isn’t bad for Bookers.

Anyone else with a lead?

The the regular 107 is around $100 on the secondary, and the store picks $150ish.

As alternatives, try going for a wheater with a bit high proof. Some possibilities: Rebel Yell 10 Single Barrel, Larceny Barrel Proof or maybe Maker's Cask Strength. Rebel Yell 100 is also a good substitute on the cheap. Oh, another one, although not a wheater bourbon but a Wheat Whisky: Woodford Reserve Wheat, which tastes great.

The the regular 107 is around $100 on the secondary, and the star picks $150ish.

As alternatives, try going for a wheater with a bit high proof. Some possibilities: Rebel Yell 10 Single Barrel, Larceny Barrel Proof or maybe Maker's Barrel Strength. Rebel Yell 100 is also a good substitute on the cheap. Oh, another one, although not a wheater but a Wheat Whisky: Woodford Reserve Wheat, which tastes great.
+1 on the Larceny BP. It's fantastic at $50!

Just got these today. My wife got me the Flaviar membership for dads day. Pretty cool program. Booze delivered to your door doesn’t suck!! Get to order things not on the shelf in my neck of the woods. You get to choose a bottle between $40 and $60 from a list plus a sample pack each quarter. The bottle for father’s day sign up was Whistle Pig Piggyback Rye. Plus you get free shipping on 1 order right to your door once a month. Some stuff is cheaper than local and some is more (ORegon). Part of the fun I guess looking for stuff. Anyone else a member of Flaviar? Thoughts if so.

Bottles are Noah’s Mill, Rowan’s Creek and Heaven Hill 7yr

Attachments

• A4A904A7-F772-446A-AA07-DAEE1588537E.jpeg
    A4A904A7-F772-446A-AA07-DAEE1588537E.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 2BE4AD52-B0C5-4CA7-B1DB-057E8D49CCB2.jpeg
    2BE4AD52-B0C5-4CA7-B1DB-057E8D49CCB2.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 98
Well, I've had a full day. Stress today is high. Is there something wrong with our current position in the cosmos???

How to feel better and get to sleep and start anew tomorrow?????

Strong drink...new bottle...15 year...dam it's good...I'll have at least 3 to 8 drinks before passing out tonight..
IMG_20200718_193815.jpg
IMG_20200718_193850.jpg
IMG_20200718_193947.jpg

As usual for me, on the rocks, pure and simple...

Accident on the eastbound bridge to OBX. Traffic didn't move for 3.5 hours and nothing but rum packed for the trip. Made to the house and first trip tomorrow is to the ABC!

Well, I've had a full day. Stress today is high. Is there something wrong with our current position in the cosmos???

Strong drink...new bottle...15 year...dam it's good...I'll have at least 3 to 8 drinks before passing out tonight..
View attachment 494135View attachment 494136View attachment 494134

Taker easy Nav. Things will get better and they could always be worse. Enjoy the drink, tomorrow’s a new day. :tup:

Accident on the eastbound bridge to OBX. Traffic didn't move for 3.5 hours and nothing but rum packed for the trip. Made to the house and first trip tomorrow is to the ABC!

nc abc is much like Virginia abc. I was there last few weeks hoping for something different but same ol. They do carry royal brackla16 but haven’t found it in the stores. Let me know if there’s anything good to pick up for me. I’ll pay finders fee

View attachment 494135View attachment 494136View attachment 494134

Wow! I'm on to drink 3 and this scotch is just fantastic! Really really good shit..

I won't ever buy the 12 year again..

The 13 year is my favorite bottle I've bought so far, but I'm a little biased because I got it there at the distillery.

I had some rye that was pretty good at my friend's house tonight, but I forgot to snap a pic and the name escapes me now.

Just got these today. My wife got me the Flaviar membership for dads day. Pretty cool program. Booze delivered to your door doesn’t suck!! Get to order things not on the shelf in my neck of the woods. You get to choose a bottle between $40 and $60 from a list plus a sample pack each quarter. The bottle for father’s day sign up was Whistle Pig Piggyback Rye. Plus you get free shipping on 1 order right to your door once a month. Some stuff is cheaper than local and some is more (ORegon). Part of the fun I guess looking for stuff. Anyone else a member of Flaviar? Thoughts if so.

Bottles are Noah’s Mill, Rowan’s Creek and Heaven Hill 7yr

I've seriously considered Flaviar a few times...are the samples part of the deal as well, or just the once a month bottle?

Edit: Wow I just re-read your post and I realized I totally mis-read it the first time.

It sounds like a fun program, perfect to receive as a gift.

Totally great gift. Samples are include.

Are the "member prices" any different than the pricing displayed on their website?

I feel like we have a pretty consistent, well priced selection of Bourbon here, but I feel like the prices we pay for Scotch are inflated. When I was down in CA last summer I was stunned at some of the (good) prices on Scotch at Costco. Maybe I'm just cheap but it's tough for me to spend $65+ on some of the entry level Scotch expressions when you can get a huge variety of good Bourbon in the $40-50 range. Maybe if Whiskey was my only thing I'd have an easier time justifying it lol.

Are the "member prices" any different than the pricing displayed on their website?

I feel like we have a pretty consistent, well priced selection of Bourbon here, but I feel like the prices we pay for Scotch are inflated. When I was down in CA last summer I was stunned at some of the (good) prices on Scotch at Costco. Maybe I'm just cheap but it's tough for me to spend $65+ on some of the entry level Scotch expressions when you can get a huge variety of good Bourbon in the $40-50 range. Maybe if Whiskey was my only thing I'd have an easier time justifying it lol.
I have found it to be 50/50 in regards to stuff being cheaper on the site. It is very supply oriented though. Some things are $3-$4 cheaper on Flaviar. Some are more expensive. Saves the time though of having to track some bottles down.

Pricing is based upon your state so I’m sure they are paying Oregon some sort of liquor tax included in the pricing.

+1 on Flaviar. I signed up in May and I’ve only had one shipment thus far:
1595454693622.jpeg

Two of these bottles I have since found at local stores at comparable places, the third (Nikka Gin) I have not seen anywhere else, but each of these I learned about it through the Flaviar website

My sample set was “viva la France,” a combo or cognac, Armagnac and calvados for taste test comparison:
1595455491225.jpeg

Here’s a review article I found helpful:

https://foodfornet.com/flaviar-review

Bottom line, not a great deal as far as getting good discounts, but nice option to explore and sample things you may not be familiar with to help guide purchases. I do like the fact you have access to things that you may not be able to get otherwise in your particular state due to distribution issues (eg St George’s Gin for Nebraska). Free shipping is definitely a plus.

They also have access to their “vault” which allows you purchase some very high-end stuff (ie rare and often $1000+bottles) which is basically just liquor PrOn for me but may be a consideration for some of you highrollers out there.

I look at it as somewhat of a break-even as far as value, but it’s fun to get a shipment in the mail quarterly, to get a little exposure/ education on some of the booze out there and to have some things on the bar shelf other people locally (probably) don’t have.

+1 on Flaviar. I signed up in May and I’ve only had one shipment thus far:
View attachment 496218

Two of these bottles I have since found at local stores at comparable places, the third (Nikka Gin) I have not seen anywhere else, but each of these I learned about it through the Flaviar website

My sample set was “viva la France,” a combo or cognac, Armagnac and calvados for taste test comparison:
View attachment 496221

Here’s a review article I found helpful:

https://foodfornet.com/flaviar-review

Bottom line, not a great deal as far as getting good discounts, but nice option to explore and sample things you may not be familiar with to help guide purchases. I do like the fact you have access to things that you may not be able to get otherwise in your particular state due to distribution issues (eg St George’s Gin for Nebraska). Free shipping is definitely a plus.

They also have access to their “vault” which allows you purchase some very high-end stuff (ie rare and often $1000+bottles) which is basically just liquor PrOn for me but may be a consideration for some of you highrollers out there.

I look at it as somewhat of a break-even as far as value, but it’s fun to get a shipment in the mail quarterly, to get a little exposure/ education on some of the booze out there and to have some things on the bar shelf other people locally (probably) don’t have.

I always have that diplomatico on my shelf. Even people who don’t drink like it. It’s so yummy

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom