Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (67 Viewers)

IMG_5075.jpg

On Islay for the next few days for the festival.

Got started with a small dram of Caol Ila distillery exclusive in the small bar right when you arrive at Askaig. Big fan of the 12 year and loved this cask strength expression.

View attachment 1141554

Spent the afternoon wandering Bowmore and with a few drams at Bowmore distillery including their incredible 25-year distillery exclusive. Not sure I’ll grab a bottle at £490 each but if I don’t it’ll be because I worked hard to resist it.

View attachment 1141560

Finished the day with a couple drams of Jura that were new me. The Bay and Old Tide. I got great notes of caramel and vanilla on both and enjoyed the higher proof and maturity of the Old Tide but it certainly needed some water to open it up which I usually don’t find I need.

View attachment 1141561

Very excited for the open day at Bruichladdich tomorrow and Caol Ila on Monday!
super jealous, especially for the bruichladdich visit

Here’s my internal dialogue every time I look at whiskies (or bourbons) at the liquor store:

* How much better is a $60 bottle than a $30 bottle? (My answer: A lot better)

* How much better is a $90 bottle than a $60 bottle? (A: Somewhat better)

* $135 vs $90? (A: Only a little better)

* $200 vs $135? (A: Hard to tell the difference)

* $300+? (Not worth it to me, I drink more than one sip per month)

… and then I buy Armagnac because it is underpriced.

Here’s my internal dialogue every time I look at whiskies (or bourbons) at the liquor store:

I like this. Over $100 and I'm very research-oriented try-before-you-buy careful. Under $100 I'm still discerning, though not as much. But I still don't want to be buying any drain pours or shelf sitters.

So basically, I wind up buying stuff in the $40-$80 range, with the $40-$50 stuff for regular consumption, and the $60-$80 more for treats.

I like a lighter whiskey for day-to-day stuff, and my girlfriend and I find this basic Suntory brand is a good value.

1685564512793.png

So basically, I wind up buying stuff in the $40-$80 range, with the $40-$50 stuff for regular consumption, and the $60-$80 more for treats.

I like a lighter whiskey for day-to-day stuff, and my girlfriend and I find this basic Suntory brand is a good value.

View attachment 1143540
I found it perfect for hot toddies/hot whiskeys.

View attachment 1143540
I've got a bottle of this, missing a neck pour, that is all yours.
(This isn't to say it isn't good...it is...but I have a lot of bottles right now and I want to make some space.)

View attachment 1143540
This is pretty much my range as well, with a few good under $30 bottles (OF Rye, OGD114) that are mostly for Old Fashioned and other cocktails. There are a few over $80 bottles that are on my radar if I ever see them at retail. But that's a rare occasion that hasn't happened yet.

I've got a bottle of this, missing a neck pour, that is all yours.
(This isn't to say it isn't good...it is...but I have a lot of bottles right now and I want to make some space.)

Thank you in advance! It’s nothing special, but is clean and easy to drink while we watch television. Not for inviting friends over to sample. Also it’s widely available and the price is decent for an import.

There are definitely much better Japanese whiskies. Someone brought a bottle of this once to my game, and I thought it was quite good.

IMG_8047.jpeg

More in the $80 range. But then for $80 I can get a 25-year Armagnac…

Seems to be available if you look, in upstate NY, but in many states, it is definitely thin on the ground.
I’ve visited upstate NY more than once…beautiful part of the country! But to drive there for it with the cost of gas…….

I don't drink whisky that much anymore and turned to Cognac. But when I do drink whisky I really like most Compass box or lagavulin distillers edition. But lately my bottle of choice is Remy Martin XO.

Im like oh look costco makes their own whiskey

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom