Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (32 Viewers)

Some recent bourbon additions (except the Booker’s.. I’ve actually had that for a while)
Haven’t tried Old Elk or Hillrock before
CB0ECA1D-5780-411F-B35F-0218E41D8152.jpeg

7ACFEE6D-F6A3-457D-8338-201A01E8CB63.jpegCA19252F-E056-4332-A953-58852E0D58FD.jpegE81FB8F6-CC7C-499C-89EE-1D0FDD2D157F.jpeg
@wolfpack …Here goes the rye samples

A: on the nose there was a funky smell that I just couldn’t place. There was a slight tinge of ethanol, but nothing to suggest this was high proof. That funky smell translated to exactly what I figured it would taste like. It wasn’t bad but it was odd. I don’t ever recall tasting a rye like this. The finish was real short and had little spice on the back end and no alcohol burn whatsoever. This was a very unique one…I’m not really sure if I like it, hate it or need another to decide lol

B: this one had a very light and sweet nose. Slightly more ethanol than A but nothing that would singe your nose hairs. This had a real nice crisp and clean rye flavor but there wasn’t anything flavor wise that stood out. The finish lasted a good bit longer than A and had a good spice bite along with a drying oak finish. Definitely higher proof than A, but not excessive…probably in the upper 80’s to lower 90’s

C: the nose on this one was significantly better than A and B. Initially I got a decent ethanol burn with bubble gum that later shifted to light oak and caramel. Very nice nose…I liked this one the best. The first impression after tasting this was holiday spiced gum drops and shifted a little to cinnamon hearts in applesauce. Definitely the highest proof of the three…probably right around 100. It had a nice spicy finish that lingered long after the sip. This would make a great old fashioned!

My order…
3. A…no clue what this was
2. B…reminded me a little of Sazerac
1. C…I think this is Rittenhouse BIB

Full disclosure…I spent a good amount of time outside today and my pollen allergies might have been messing with me. I might need to pour one from a bottle that I know exactly what it should taste like to see if my taste buds and sniffer are working properly lol

Last edited:
Let's trade samples. But there's a catch. You might not want to trade with me. I don't like any of these whiskies at what I paid for them:

IMG_2482.jpg

Basically, this is the only way I can think of to empty these bottles. I'm happy to label the samples with a generic A/B/C/D, or I/II/III/IV, so that you can play along with "guess what this sample is".

So, what's your counter-offer?

Let's trade samples. But there's a catch. You might not want to trade with me. I don't like any of these whiskies at what I paid for them:

View attachment 909622

Basically, this is the only way I can think of to empty these bottles. I'm happy to label the samples with a generic A/B/C/D, or I/II/III/IV, so that you can play along with "guess what this sample is".

So, what's your counter-offer?
Those look pretty full. Maybe offer trades for other peoples open (mostly full bottles). I know I have a few I’d trade

View attachment 909607View attachment 909608View attachment 909609
@wolfpack …Here goes the rye samples

A: on the nose there was a funky smell that I just couldn’t place. There was a slight tinge of ethanol, but nothing to suggest this was high proof. That funky smell translated to exactly what I figured it would taste like. It wasn’t bad but it was odd. I don’t ever recall tasting a rye like this. The finish was real short and had little spice on the back end and no alcohol burn whatsoever. This was a very unique one…I’m not really sure if I like it, hate it or need another to decide lol

B: this one had a very light and sweet nose. Slightly more ethanol than A but nothing that would singe your nose hairs. This had a real nice crisp and clean rye flavor but there wasn’t anything flavor wise that stood out. The finish lasted a good bit longer than A and had a good spice bite along with a drying oak finish. Definitely higher proof than A, but not excessive…probably in the upper 80’s to lower 90’s

C: the nose on this one was significantly better than A and B. Initially I got a decent ethanol burn with bubble gum that later shifted to light oak and caramel. Very nice nose…I liked this one the best. The first impression after tasting this was holiday spiced gum drops and shifted a little to cinnamon hearts in applesauce. Definitely the highest proof of the three…probably right around 100. It had a nice spicy finish that lingered long after the sip. This would make a great old fashioned!

My order…
3. A…no clue what this was
2. B…reminded me a little of Sazerac
1. C…I think this is Rittenhouse BIB

Full disclosure…I spent a good amount of time outside today and my pollen allergies might have been messing with me. I might need to pour one from a bottle that I know exactly what it should taste like to see if my taste buds and sniffer are working properly lol

and the results

A.
4finger.jpg
4 Finger rye from 1205 distillery in Indianapolis 90 proof

I actually liked this rye. I find it a standard rye profile with a short finish associated with most under 100 proof whiskey.

B
resurgens.jpg
Resurgens Rye from ASW distillery in Atlanta 86 proof

This is a double cooper pot distilled single malt rye. I actually like this one least of the 3, I think I have something against single malt anything.

C
pepper.jpg
Old Pepper Distillery Single Barrel 111 proof

Barrel 1303, this is one of my favorite rye's. It has a spicy candy taste with a great mouth feel and long finish. This is drank neat all night for me.

and the results

A.
View attachment 909626
4 Finger rye from 1205 distillery in Indianapolis 90 proof

I actually liked this rye. I find it a standard rye profile with a short finish associated with most under 100 proof whiskey.

B
View attachment 909627
Resurgens Rye from ASW distillery in Atlanta 86 proof

This is a double cooper pot distilled single malt rye. I actually like this one least of the 3, I think I have something against single malt anything.

C
View attachment 909632
Old Pepper Distillery Single Barrel 111 proof

Barrel 1303, this is one of my favorite rye's. It has a spicy candy taste with a great mouth feel and long finish. This is drank neat all night for me.
I really liked that Old Pepper. It drinks dangerously easy for the proof! I almost always drink my whiskey neat, but I do enjoy a good old fashioned every now and then and this rye has the flavor and backbone to hold up well in a mixed drink!

Last edited:
I honest to god have thought about taking all my bottles and doing this to determine my favorite, except I would have my wife setup the bracket so it would be blind.
I tried it during covid when I only had around 60 bottles. By the time I was done round one, I had bought another 10 bottles. Over 200 now...its hopeless.

I really like the ideas in here for sending out blind samples to folks and would like to send out samples of scotch or irish. I know most folks in here are more bourbon fans, and I can put together a set of bourbon samples though my collection in that space is rather limited. Would anyone be interested in blind samples for scotch or for irish?

I really like the ideas in here for sending out blind samples to folks and would like to send out samples of scotch or irish. I know most folks in here are more bourbon fans, and I can put together a set of bourbon samples though my collection in that space is rather limited. Would anyone be interested in blind samples for scotch or for irish?
Maybe I have started a trend. A tasty, tasty trend.

Pretty cool haul. My local Meijer store has upped their game a little bit. Should I be concerned though that their slots for Eagle Rare and Blanton's have been replaced? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 909983
If those two are what replaced the Blantons and Eagle Rare on the shelf, you’ll be just fine lol

I’ve now had 3 different Woodinville Private Select’s and they all were exceptional! Rare Breed Rye is just plain awesome.

20220511_173937.jpg

Picked this up last night. I've never seen an Ocean SB before. I of course popped it immediately. It was good not great. Clean only 90 proof but a decent nose of caramel and vanilla. Not heavy on wood notes and a thin finish. Uber smooth as I got no real heat burn at all. All in all a good easy drinker with subtly good flavors. Not worth the $75 I paid IMHO.

View attachment 909994
Picked this up last night. I've never seen an Ocean SB before. I of course popped it immediately. It was good not great. Clean only 90 proof but a decent nose of caramel and vanilla. Not heavy on wood notes and a thin finish. Uber smooth as I got no real heat burn at all. All in all a good easy drinker with subtly good flavors. Not worth the $75 I paid IMHO.
My Indiana grocery store has a vew cases of this. I like it quite a bit. $70 each up in my neck of the woods.

So my guy has Discovery #6 on the shelf, AND Discovery #7 came in today. Choices choices. Any thoughts, other than find a way to get both? I hear if I take cash in there, he can deal on price sometimes. I like sketchiness like that.

So my guy has Discovery #6 on the shelf, AND Discovery #7 came in today. Choices choices. Any thoughts, other than find a way to get both? I hear if I take cash in there, he can deal on price sometimes. I like sketchiness like that.
I like 6. Haven’t opened 7.

EC69071B-FDBC-4FBA-B02C-A5205DB6AA4A.png

The bourbon junkies Wild Turkey tier list.

Interesting to note that the red label single barrels score a D for the standard on the shelf versions while the store picks score “S” the top tier available. Oh and rare breed and 101 seem to be the best value/ juice you can buy.

View attachment 910248

Interesting to note that the red label single barrels score a D for the standard on the shelf versions while the store picks score “S” the top tier available. Oh and rare breed and 101 seem to be the best value/ juice you can buy.
nothing but respect for WT101

View attachment 910248

I agree the Russell's 10 is an F. The value is better in every other WT product for the $$. I'm fortunate that I own both in the "S" tier. RR13 by dumb luck, and a store pick because those sit on the shelf a while before selling out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom