Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (86 Viewers)

Waited in line for five hours but was able to score these two beauties.
IMG_20141204_100805.jpg

Waited on line for *five hours*?

Dang -- I doff my sombrero to you, sir. That's way more dedication than I have....

A client has just given me a bottle of the Haig Club (David Beckham Aftershave!) so I will report back after Christmas with a verdict. There is a sticker on the back that says it is for the UK market, so might be available in a different form in the US (?).

I'm a single malt guy, but I'm just starting to explore bourbon as well. Based on recommendations in this thread, I picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve and have been pretty happy with it.

In my office Xmas party today, I got a bottle of Jim Beam Devil's Cut. Opinions?

Hmmmmm....I live in Dhahran so any and all possession of alcohol is strictly forbidden :rolleyes: However, I have heard that some of the chemical engineers over here might just be distilling very pure ethanol in their garages. I've also heard that some people cut it to about 90 proof and then let it sit on Jack Daniels hickory wood chips from a few weeks up to several years. I've been here about 7 years. What do these people call it? Before chips it is "white" after the soak... "brown". I've heard that sometimes people sit around card tables and compare qualities of these beverages and report that they are surprisingly good. But I wouldn't know for sure as these are just rumors. :D

No love for Jameson? I've been exploring a bit, and I've landed on Eagle Rare. I like Blantons too, but I had two bottles. The first one I loved, the second one, not so much.

I'm a single malt guy, but I'm just starting to explore bourbon as well. Based on recommendations in this thread, I picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve and have been pretty happy with it.

In my office Xmas party today, I got a bottle of Jim Beam Devil's Cut. Opinions?

The Devil's Cut is a pretty decent pour. Some people don't care for the Beam yeast which has a nutty flavor to it.

What do you like for Scotch? Some of my friends who prefer Scotch are more interested in rye whiskey than bourbon.

no opinion on the devil's cut, but next time you try a new bourbon, pick up elmer t. lee. huge deal at the price ($25ish here).

No love for Jameson? I've been exploring a bit, and I've landed on Eagle Rare. I like Blantons too, but I had two bottles. The first one I loved, the second one, not so much.

i love blanton's when it's good, but i'm afraid i have to echo harley's note above that the bottles can be hit or miss on occasion. i wouldn't say it's 50/50, but probably 1 in 4 or 5 isn't quite up to snuff. i think i saw someone in this thread or the old one point out that blanton's changed hands at some point and the old stock is being cycled through. maybe the new bottles are the problem.

Currently finishing off a bottle of Limited Edition Bulliett, aged 10 years. I like the regular Bulliett, also. (Both Bourbon & Rye)
Other bottles I've been through this year;
Stranahan's (Local company here in CO, they make a good whiskey that I would put in the Irish Whiskey Family)
King's County Bourbon (If you're in NYC, def pick up a bottle of this)
Devil's Cut, Maker's Mark (both good for the price)
Templeton Rye ( I really liked this stuff, then I found out that they actually don't do all their own work, and purchase some of their product)

Thanks, for all the suggestions in this thread. I'll def look for them, the next time at "the good" liquor store.

Second ETL for sure... It's a better bourbon than bottles 2x or 3x its price... Mash brother of Blanton's actually... It's hard to find in some places and here in Michigan prices are already up to $35-$40... A bit pricier but also really good is Noah's Mill (thanks JM!)... ETL at $25 is THE best deal around IMO...

Next time you try a new bourbon, pick up elmer t. lee. huge deal at the price ($25ish here).

I'm starting to think that Elmer T Lee is a practical joke you guys are playing on me... can't find it anywhere.

It's been harder to get after the death of ETL... Prices have been gone up in some places... Worth the hunt though AT...

I'm starting to think that Elmer T Lee is a practical joke you guys are playing on me... can't find it anywhere.

Since we're down in St. Martin for the holidays, we're now drinking a Drouin calvados "Reserve des Fiefs" that we normally can't get at home, plus a bottle of Havana Club 7-year anejo that appears to have been actually produced and bottled in Cuba, rather than the near-clone from the Dominican Republic that we've run across before.

Our splurge upon arrival was a bottle of the Bacardi Special Reserve (only $85 here!), which expired several days ago, sad to say...

-- Larry

Since we're down in St. Martin for the holidays, we're now drinking a Drouin calvados "Reserve des Fiefs" that we normally can't get at home, plus a bottle of Havana Club 7-year anejo that appears to have been actually produced and bottled in Cuba, rather than the near-clone from the Dominican Republic that we've run across before.

Our splurge upon arrival was a bottle of the Bacardi Special Reserve (only $85 here!), which expired several days ago, sad to say...

-- Larry
For rum, Old New Orleans 10 year blows away anything else I've had, including Havana club in Italy, Mexico and the UK. Very hard to source outside the distillery itself. They bottle one day per year. The Cajun spice is also excellent.

Thanks for all the great recommendations guys. Noah's Mill is solid if a little on the spendy side. Now if I could just find a bottle of Elmer T. Lee out here...

Im back in Michigan first week of Jan John... If you can't find a bottle in WA I'll try to ship you one if you want...

Thanks for all the great recommendations guys. Noah's Mill is solid if a little on the spendy side. Now if I could just find a bottle of Elmer T. Lee out here...

I've looked for it multiple times at my local ABC. There's a tag on the shelf but that spot is always empty.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

I opened a bottle of Bulleit Rye last night (an early Xmas gift to myself again based on recommendations in this thread). It's got a bite and a bit of smoke to it, reminds me in some ways of a peaty single malt. I think I'll need to have another tonight to wrap my head around it properly. :)

I'm running into the same thing with Black Maple Hill. No problem getting it the first time, now there's an empty shelf with a tag on it every time I look.

BMH's becoming impossible to find... Never tried it... Heard great, great reviews and okay reviews... How did u like it Tree?

I'm running into the same thing with Black Maple Hill. No problem getting it the first time, now there's an empty shelf with a tag on it every time I look.

I thought it was terrific. The Maple is an apt name though. A lot of brown sugar in the flavor profile. It's great for sitting on your back porch and sipping straight.

It's been harder to get after the death of ETL... Prices have been gone up in some places... Worth the hunt though AT...

it's still cheap here when available and was really reliably in stock until the last several months.

Oh my... Salivating here already... Now I won't rest until I find a bottle...

I thought it was terrific. The Maple is an apt name though. A lot of brown sugar in the flavor profile. It's great for sitting on your back porch and sipping straight.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

Lucky NE-erners!!! You have all the good stuff there... I'm considering buying a few more bottles at $35... If I was to find it for $25, like you have there, that would be a given!

it's still cheap here when available and was really reliably in stock until the last several months.

Thanks for the offer! I'm going to check at the new Total Wine and More to see if they have any. Booze availability has dramatically improved out here now that we voted out our prohibition-era state run liquor stores, but some things just don't make it this far west it seems. Sounds like I need to look for Black Maple Hill too.

Im back in Michigan first week of Jan John... If you can't find a bottle in WA I'll try to ship you one if you want...

Hello, Christmas!

20141226_000221_zps3296d972.jpg

The Longrow Red is in the boot of the car, so not in the line up.

About to try the Askaig 19...

Haven't tasted the Askaigs yet, but it would be nice to know their source distilleries for each bottling, if anything's printed on the box or bottle.

Also haven't had any recent Longrow other than the 10-yr., which is all I've seen over here. Tasting notes would be appreciated! Slainte!

The Askaig is Caol Ila. I understand they're housed at the same location in Edinburgh. The Askaig 19 is bottled at a significantly higher strength (Caol Ila 18 at 43%, Askaig 19 at 50.4%), so it goes further. Needs water to mellow it out, fo shizzle.

Longrow Red notes here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Scotch/comments/18rvr1/very_nice_marriage_between_peat_and_red_winered/

I find tasting notes always pretentious but this one chucks in the phrase "aggressive peatbull" so wins.

The berries of the cabernet cask defo in full effect. It's quite spicy too, which I like in a whisky. Peat 'n' sweet. It's a pretty decent dram.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom