Official PCF Smoker and BBQ Thread (10 Viewers)

Are you looking for stick, charcoal, pellet pooper, etc? Weber Smoky Mountain is always a good choice and comes in multiple sizes. They also sell their own pellet pooper now too. I like the smokiness the WSM gives, def more than my Traeger even when I use smoke tubes. But the Traeger needs less attention and has remote control wifi. If you dial in the WSM though, it can be pretty painless. I initially modded mine with a digiQ and fan from BBQ Guru but now have been using a Thermoworks billows fan to help regulate the temp because I use their Signals temps and probe. I think if I had to do it again though I would get one of the variable speed fans out there now for temp control on it.

I have a WSM for smoking. I am in the markwt for a new propane grill. I dont want or use side burners.

What should I get?

I have a WSM for smoking. I am in the markwt for a new propane grill. I dont want or use side burners.

What should I get?
I am personally a fan of Weber's line of gas grills. They have many options without side burners and, if something goes wrong, they stand behind their product. If out of warranty, replacement parts are easy to find. I have had a Summitt NG for 20 years or so and it still looks and works great. Much like chips though, it all depends on personal preference and budget.

I have been looking at the gravity fed ones from Masterbuilt, and have been looking at the Komodo style (BGE, Primo, etc.)
I have been intrigued by those gravity feed grills but do not have any experience with them. I have friends with the BGE and they like them a lot.

Love my Yoder YS640 and all the versatility it brings. My favorite is the reverse seared Tri-Tip but can’t go wrong with brisket and baked beans either.

Attachments

• A1EF99E5-5036-40CF-9257-0C0FB8955502.jpeg
    A1EF99E5-5036-40CF-9257-0C0FB8955502.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 167E6C4B-466C-4C72-A283-C9D40A8D378D.jpeg
    167E6C4B-466C-4C72-A283-C9D40A8D378D.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 60
  • 3172A53A-A589-4B71-ABEB-2664A6B1A093.jpeg
    3172A53A-A589-4B71-ABEB-2664A6B1A093.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 686E2F7D-BC12-4F6A-A840-C2BA7755A1FE.jpeg
    686E2F7D-BC12-4F6A-A840-C2BA7755A1FE.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 67
Love my Yoder YS640 and all the versatility it brings. My favorite is the reverse seared Tri-Tip but can’t go wrong with brisket and baked beans either.
Those Yoders are rock solid from what I hear. I was eyeballing them before I lucked into the free Traeger Ironwood.

I am personally a fan of Weber's line of gas grills. They have many options without side burners and, if something goes wrong, they stand behind their product. If out of warranty, replacement parts are easy to find. I have had a Summitt NG for 20 years or so and it still looks and works great. Much like chips though, it all depends on personal preference and budget.

Cool. Yeah I am looking at getting the GENESIS S-325s Gas Grill
https://www.weber.com/CA/en/grills/gas-grills/genesis/35300001.html

I really don't need anything complicated. I abhor options like lights and smart features etc. Just looking for a rugged workhorse grill without any bells and whistles.

Cool. Yeah I am looking at getting the GENESIS S-325s Gas Grill
https://www.weber.com/CA/en/grills/gas-grills/genesis/35300001.html

I really don't need anything complicated. I abhor options like lights and smart features etc. Just looking for a rugged workhorse grill without any bells and whistles.
i have a ten year old webber genesis that works great. The ignition has been a problem for a couple years, but other than that, it's in fine condition. My grates are cast iron (i believe) not stainless steel, though. I believe i replaced them once and they are starting to rust again.

i have a ten year old webber genesis that works great. The ignition has been a problem for a couple years, but other than that, it's in fine condition. My grates are cast iron (i believe) not stainless steel, though. I believe i replaced them once and they are starting to rust again.

Yeah I might just get this and then replace the grill grates later on with SS ones.

Have you tried cleaning off the end of the piezo sparker? Sometimes they get greased or crudded up and a quick clean fixes it right up. Otherwise, it’s a pretty easy replacement piece too (at least on mine)

Extended rest is a good thing. Many of the most famous TX joints hold their briskets at 145 for close to 12 hours. I did this on my last brisket and it was a complete GameChanger. Fully rendered fatView attachment 924035

Whats your technique for holding it that long

also curious about this. i had mine wrapped tightly in towels in a pre-heated cooler, and it was down to about 150 after the 6.5 hours.

also curious about this. i had mine wrapped tightly in towels in a pre-heated cooler, and it was down to about 150 after the 6.5 hours.
So I first wrapped it in butcher paper after the bark has set and surface fat was rendered (push your finger in and it should smoosh under pressure) Then cooked it until it probed around 203° and was tender in the flat. The point will always be tender first because all the fat so focus on the flat.

I also doused it in rendered tallow (another trick I learned they do) before I wrapped.

I took it off the cooker and put it in my kitchen oven in the paper for about a few hours until the temp dropped (I was aiming for 145° but I over slept and it went down to 110°) I then put turned the same oven to its lowest temp which is 170°. Let it stay there until we ate about 6 hours later and it was almost exactly 145°

If yours was still 150° after 6.5 hours in your cooler, that’s pretty good. You can just let it rest longer.

The other thing is to try and get a prime grade brisket and trim more aggressive then you may initially feel comfortable with. Need to get the thin parts of the flat off.

I’m actually heading to Austin again for work tomorrow and going right to City Market in Lulling TX for lunch!

These are two outstanding videos to learn from

CBC897FF-3451-4A5E-8C7B-8AB6B79A9053.jpeg

I also doused it in rendered tallow (another trick I learned they do) before I wrapped.

this is the next trick i was already planning to add for my next one!

The other thing is to try and get a prime grade brisket and trim more aggressive then you may initially feel comfortable with.

this was the first time i ever got a choice brisket from my local butcher - this is the 3rd one i've bought from him, and the first 2 were both prime. so i didn't even realize it was choice until i unwrapped it; i assumed it was going to be prime like the first 2. but his prices are crazy high if it's not on sale , so i might have to re-join BJ's just for meat prices. but anyway, i was pretty aggressive with the trim.

smoking in general, but brisket in particular, is oddly addictive. thanks for the tips and videos.

So I first wrapped it in butcher paper after the bark has set and surface fat was rendered (push your finger in and it should smoosh under pressure) Then cooked it until it probed around 203° and was tender in the flat. The point will always be tender first because all the fat so focus on the flat.

I took it off the cooker and put it in my kitchen oven in the paper for about a few hours until the temp dropped (I was aiming for 145° but I over slept and it went down to 110°) I then put turned the same oven to its lowest temp which is 170°. Let it stay there until we ate about 6 hours later and it was almost exactly 145°

If yours was still 150° after 6.5 hours in your cooler, that’s pretty good. You can just let it rest longer.

The other thing is to try and get a prime grade brisket and trim more aggressive then you may initially feel comfortable with. Need to get the thin parts of the flat off.

I’m actually heading to Austin again for work tomorrow and going right to City Market in Lulling TX for lunch!

These are two outstanding videos to learn from

View attachment 924102

Thanks for sharing these great videos. I'll need to try using tallow for my next cook.

I am interested in feedback from people that have used a WSM vs. using a good stick burner. How much better is a stick burner and what is the difference in flavor?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom