Official PCF Smoker and BBQ Thread (2 Viewers)

1876A9C4-CDDB-4BDE-8239-4025F1EEDB57.jpeg

What kind of wood are you using? Love the old school pit. 3-2-1 or do you just let them ride?
My offset is a cheap one from Academy sports. It’s heavy, good thick metal but Firebox isn’t insulated and you have to stay very close to it.
Mine won’t go 6 hours, closer to 4-5 likely. I normally do a version of 3-2-1 but just use whatever times that seem right to wrap, take out of wrap etc.

But this cook I’m trying no wrap. This is the Texas ribs process in a meat church vid. Just giving it a go and going to see.

My offset is a cheap one from Academy sports. It’s heavy, good thick metal but Firebox isn’t insulated and you have to stay very close to it.
Mine won’t go 6 hours, closer to 4-5 likely. I normally do a version of 3-2-1 but just use whatever times that seem right to wrap, take out of wrap etc.

But this cook I’m trying no wrap. This is the Texas ribs process in a meat church vid. Just giving it a go and going to see.
6 hours?!? Damn, can’t go more than 15-20 minutes without tending mine.

Might as well jump in here.

Smoked on a homemade UDS for 7-8 years, finally bought an old country Brazos 3 years ago and been cooking on that since.

Brisket and pulled pork for a yearly geekfest with the boys tomorrow, prep work done, lighting the pit in about 30 minutes:

20220518_134308.jpg

Costco prime packers, only doing one today.

20220528_160629.jpg

20220528_162356.jpg

20220528_165550.jpg

Bonus burger prep, got the leftover coarse pepper and kosher salt brisket rub plus a little garlic powder.

Might as well jump in here.

Smoked on a homemade UDS for 7-8 years, finally bought an old country Brazos 3 years ago and been cooking on that since.

Brisket and pulled pork for a yearly geekfest with the boys tomorrow, prep work done, lighting the pit in about 30 minutes:

View attachment 919027
Costco prime packers, only doing one today.

View attachment 919029
View attachment 919032
View attachment 919033
Bonus burger prep, got the leftover coarse pepper and kosher salt brisket rub plus a little garlic powder.

Brisket pulled at ~8am (14hrs), quick counter rest before wrapping in peach paper to rest in a cooler:
20220529_074913.jpg

Bark not quite as good as I like but not bad.

One butt pulled just now:

20220529_091108.jpg

Other one is being super stubborn, still in the 170s and not probe tender. Kicked the cooker up to 300 to try and finish it off since it's putting me behind schedule :confused

20220530_192611.jpg

Barramundi cooked high and fast on the Kamado Joe with hickory and apple wood. 320 for about 10 minutes. Will be doing this again. Fantastic!

Forgot to mention, no deflector plates but cooked on an aluminum foil boat.

My smoker went belly-up so I am on the hunt for something new and better than what I had. Had an old vertical propane smoker that a friend gave me. Pulled some decent meat off it, but it was small for briskets and racks of ribs.

Will have to try the memphis meat dust. I normally use the rub recipe from one of our local places. The pitmaster does a brisket 101 class on Saturdays and shares his recipe (1 part coarse pepper, 1 part kosher salt, 1 part red Spanish paprika (and he said this is only to give some color on his ribs), and 4 parts light brown sugar, with 1/2 parts of garlic, cayenne pepper optional).

Right now all I am grilling are hamburgers, hot dogs and bacon on my Weber Genesis propane grill.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom