Official PCF Keyboard Thread (1 Viewer)

Lubing switches is a beast of it self. Be prepared for 3-6 hour sessions of tedious work.

That being said it is by far the best upgrade you can do to your board. There are also websites that will sell you lubed switches if you don’t have the time. For example: https://loobedswitches.com/
Looks like they don't sell pre-lubed Box switches, so that's good; doesn't tempt me to cheat. I don't think anyone on PCF would be nervous about hours spent lubing (oiling) switches (chips) ... we all like the pain :)

But, yeah, I've only done my stabs and I hated doing it. I'll have to read up on the switch lubing. Maybe try it out on my keypad first for fun.

Looks like they don't sell pre-lubed Box switches, so that's good; doesn't tempt me to cheat. I don't think anyone on PCF would be nervous about hours spent lubing (oiling) switches (chips) ... we all like the pain :)

But, yeah, I've only done my stabs and I hated doing it. I'll have to read up on the switch lubing. Maybe try it out on my keypad first for fun.
If you hated lubing stabs you’ll really hate lubing switches ha. But for real, it makes the biggest difference in the sound and feel!

If you hated lubing stabs you’ll really hate lubing switches ha. But for real, it makes the biggest difference in the sound and feel!
Is this true for uber-clicky switches like my Box Jades? I would hate for the distinctive buckling-spring-like sound to be dampened. For sound/feel, I wouldn't want feel to change. But sound could be a little deeper. Just curious what lubing does for clickbars...

Is this true for uber-clicky switches like my Box Jades? I would hate for the distinctive buckling-spring-like sound to be dampened. For sound/feel, I wouldn't want feel to change. But sound could be a little deeper. Just curious what lubing does for clickbars...
I think the general consensus is to not lube clicky switches.

You fools! Opening up a mechanical keyboard thread in this forum?!

But seriously, it's great to see these worlds would collide. I expect to see more sets and keyboard colorway combos being posted shortly.

My daily:
Leopold FC660M
Cherry Brown (BROWNS FOR LIFE)
(standard caps ... although I have a fresh box of GMK Dolch staring right at me...)

image.jpg

Why do so few mechanical keyboards seem to have a number pad?!
I personally hate the attached number pad. I find that it throws the whole center of the keyboard off so I have to sit to the side to type properly on it.

I think that for many people, they actually take their keyboards places with them, so using a smaller sized keyboard without a number pad is preferable for that reason.

With that said, lots of mech. KBs have them as well.

I personally hate the attached number pad. I find that it throws the whole center of the keyboard off so I have to sit to the side to type properly on it.

Or you could just, you know, move the keyboard over a bit..... ;) :LOL: :laugh:

I would be 100% lost without a keypad.

Or you could just, you know, move the keyboard over a bit..... ;) :LOL: :laugh:

I would be 100% lost without a keypad.
So I have an uplift desk, and the ergonomic drawer is actually not big enough for a full size keyboard. At least it's not unless I move the keyboard over to the left and then I wouldn't be sitting directly in front of the keys that I'm typing on. But yeah you could also move it over a bit if it was on a flat space like the top of a desk.

I didn't say I didn't have a numpad, I just said I don't like full size keyboards. I have a Bluetooth numpad that sits on my keyboard drawer to the left of my keyboard. I use it all the time.

Why do so few mechanical keyboards seem to have a number pad?!
It's a bit of a trope in the community that smaller keyboards are generally favorable. Community members push this to its breaking limit for the curiosity and the lulz. (I think I saw a 5% keyboard somewhere?!) You'll see boards without the tenkey (TKL) and then start reducing in size from there. The general consensus is that people just want the keys they mostly use and do without the keys they don't. Unless you do a lot of number entry (in accounting, perhaps), you really don't need the 10 keypad.

Also, this lessens the need to purchase the 'extra' keycaps.

I didn't say I didn't have a numpad, I just said I don't like full size keyboards. I have a Bluetooth numpad that sits on my keyboard drawer to the left of my keyboard. I use it all the time.

I'm fairly ambidextrous with the mouse, but I can't fathom trying to type on a keypad with my left hand..... :sick::vomit: lol

Right before COVID, when I was still traveling out to the West Coast relatively regularly to my HQ, I was considering getting one of those Uber tiny mechanical keyboards (60% or less) so I could easily take it with me. I just can't stand typing on the damn chiclet keys

I'm fairly ambidextrous with the mouse, but I can't fathom trying to type on a keypad with my left hand..... :sick::vomit: lol
I thought I'd be pretty bad at it too, but you get used to it pretty fast. Although, you can always move it to the right side on your desk. Sometimes I have it there.

So before I opened this thread today, my biggest complaints regarding kbs was wearing out a letter and that shiney swipe on the space bar from my thumb... I guess I also dislike the beds under the kaycaps that have crumb/dust/dirt magnets installed at the factory.

So before I opened this thread today, my biggest complaints regarding kbs was wearing out a letter and that shiney swipe on the space bar from my thumb...
And that's why I always use either a double shot keys, or PBT. The double shot keys are literally made from two different pieces of plastic, so the key cap legends will never wear out. The key shine, especially on the space bar, is the most tilting thing I have ever seen. I'm about 4 years into my current keycaps, and there's not one bit of shine on them because they're PBT.

Right before COVID, when I was still traveling out to the West Coast relatively regularly to my HQ, I was considering getting one of those Uber tiny mechanical keyboards (60% or less) so I could easily take it with me. I just can't stand typing on the damn chiclet keys

60%s use the same keys as any other keyboard. Check it out.

Exactly! This Leopold is one that's been on my radar. The only downside is desoldering all the switches if I didn't want cherry.
The form factor you're looking for is the 65%. It's a pretty popular size so there are tons of builds of this with all the customization you could possibly want. :)

What switches are you looking for?

The form factor you're looking for is the 65%. It's a pretty popular size so there are tons of builds of this with all the customization you could possibly want. :)

What switches are you looking for?
Box anything :) ... I don't care who I piss off, so Jades are preferable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom