Official Home Game Pics Thread! (35 Viewers)

A lot better. Also, it cost less than $50. ($20 for foam, $20 for remnant1, <$10 for remnant2). And I can tinker with it if I decide I want to try something else. For instance, if I want the playing surface to give slightly more, I can add another piece of fabric or a $10 layer of foam from Joann's under it. (Tried that, felt it was too mushy.)

To me, what matters most is (A) can you pick up cards/chips easily, (B) do the cards move smoothly, (C) do I have to worry about spills, and (D) do I have to spend a half-hour setting up the table? This solution resolves all four questions swimmingly.

A lot better. Also, it cost less than $50. ($20 for foam, $20 for remnant1, <$10 for remnant2). And I can tinker with it if I decide I want to try something else. For instance, if I want the playing surface to give slightly more, I can add another piece of fabric or a $10 layer of foam from Joann's under it. (Tried that, felt it was too mushy.)

To me, what matters most is (A) can you pick up cards/chips easily, (B) do the cards move smoothly, (C) do I have to worry about spills, and (D) do I have to spend a half-hour setting up the table? This solution resolves all four questions swimmingly.
I'm a big fan. One of my buddies hosts a game with just a table covered in a carpet remnant. It works perfectly and he never cares about spills.

And a huge thanks to @Chbyfngr for letting us use the custom cards he got from Make Playing Cards. I have to say, I was a bit reluctant to try custom decks, as I've had mixed experiences in the past, but these things are the real deal. The quality is top notch, there was no fading or scratching of the cards while we played with them, and they feel very similar to DESjGN cards.

Free plug for Make Playing Cards for anyone interested... and they have bridge/jumbo too. I'm definitely going to be giving them some business!!
Some othe decks I've had made up. @slisk250 turned me on to them. They played well! Even had beer spilled on them and cleaned up just fine.

View attachment 121007 View attachment 121008 View attachment 121009 View attachment 121010 View attachment 121011 View attachment 121012
Seem like nice cards, although a bit pricey (but hey, what's money when it comes to custom stuff). I'd definitely want the oval art backs, though -- the circles are just too tilting to me, creating a very cluttered table environment (seems like chips could easily get lost).

I use something similar for an emergency table (if the game spills to a 4th table). I also use it for a super quick set-up for very small games, and used it for the Meet in the Suite Vegas meet-up because it could cover a dining table and fit in a suitcase.

Rails are important, don't get me wrong. A toppled stack can wreck a chip that falls to a hard floor, and if someone backs up a chair looking for said chip, only to scoot the chair on top of the chip, survival odds are very low. Playing with out a rail is like driving without a seatbelt. It's never a problem... until it is.

Seem like nice cards, although a bit pricey (but hey, what's money when it comes to custom stuff). I'd definitely want the oval art backs, though -- the circles are just too tilting to me, creating a very cluttered table environment (seems like chips could easily get lost).

In full disclosure, that did happen a few times... some one would scoop a pot, and then the dealer would collect the cards to start shuffling, only to discover a chip or two in the pile. No biggie - everything always got sent to the winner, but I could see it setting some folks' OCD on tilt.

That's the beauty of them... you can put whatever you like. I definitely won't use something so close to the inlay again even if they were inverse colors. The other sets I posted are completely different from the chips.

In over a year of hosting, I’ve never lost a chip to such a disaster, knock on wood. I don't think the rail is a big factor there. I'd worry more about someone dropping chips when combining tables.

Last edited:
Played some Omaha this week and then got a circus cash game going afterwards using Abby's mixed cards.

2017-09-12 17.32.45.jpg

2017-09-12 17.32.40.jpg

2017-09-13 00.33.01.jpg

Some Omaha 3-2-1 Hi/Hi 25c/25c

2017-09-13 00.52.29.jpg

Despite the plethora of cards available to use, the two hands that won were horribly bad. And we were 4 handed. We played pretty conservatively that night, 5 of us, each bought in for $20 and nobody went busto. I think I was the loser of the night down from $20 to $10.

A few posts back someone mentioned a spill at their first game using a new setup. This is kind of my fear. right now I have a cheap $150 table topper. I like the look and idea of getting a nice table however my concern is spills. I prefer to use a cheap table and not worry about it. If I have a nice table worth $1,500 I will be kinda pissed if someone spills beer on it.... thoughts?

A few posts back someone mentioned a spill at their first game using a new setup. This is kind of my fear. right now I have a cheap $150 table topper. I like the look and idea of getting a nice table however my concern is spills. I prefer to use a cheap table and not worry about it. If I have a nice table worth $1,500 I will be kinda pissed if someone spills beer on it.... thoughts?

What @justsomedude said, and i'll add, Life happens. If someone spills a drink it normally means you were playing poker and having a laugh. Accidents happen.

If you allow drinks at the table, it WILL happen. embrace it and enjoy your nice table.

What @justsomedude said, and i'll add, Life happens. If someone spills a drink it normally means you were playing poker and having a laugh. Accidents happen.

If you allow drinks at the table, it WILL happen. embrace it and enjoy your nice table.
Imagine if we didn't use nice tables and/or mint chips!?!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom