Nuclear Monkey Ceramics (1 Viewer)

Put me down for a barrel of these
1628024163018.png

Good Job. :tup:

The evolution of these has been awesome! I love the faded transition with the edge-spots, I feel like you are taking advantage of the things you can only do with ceramic chips with both the face art and edges. You may want to further differentiate the blue/red($5) and darkblue/green($100) edges though, might still be some dirty stack issues.
Thx. Once I got off custom clays and committed to ceramics, I tried to take advantage of their flexibility. I want it to seem like a traditional chip, but do some subtle things that aren't possible on traditional chips. I'm glad that's noticeable. I'm hopeful that these will be simple and clean, and just plain look good at first glance, but have enough going on that you can spend some time looking at all the detail (all the while also being a playable chip).

And crap, I fixed the dirty stack issue with too much black, only to now have too much blue.

Looking good, I like the color fading on the edges as well.

I would consider using yellow for the text on the red $5 chip (same color you have accenting the inner circle) and blue or possibly green on the black $100 to make them pop a bit more. The black on red and grey and black may be difficult to see when not back-lit (ie when printed).

I've made some changes since then, so here's where I am now.

Attachments

• Slide1.PNG
    Slide1.PNG
    177.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Slide2.PNG
    Slide2.PNG
    158.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Slide3.PNG
    Slide3.PNG
    160.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Slide6.PNG
    Slide6.PNG
    245.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Slide4.PNG
    Slide4.PNG
    171.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Slide9.PNG
    Slide9.PNG
    134 KB · Views: 105
  • Slide8.PNG
    Slide8.PNG
    138.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Slide7.PNG
    Slide7.PNG
    135 KB · Views: 99
  • Slide10.PNG
    Slide10.PNG
    151.3 KB · Views: 97
Here are the edges

Attachments

• white edges.png
    white edges.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 103
  • red edges.png
    red edges.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 103
  • green edges.png
    green edges.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 101
  • black edges.png
    black edges.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Slide10.PNG
    Slide10.PNG
    54.3 KB · Views: 102
I've made some changes since then, so here's where I am now.
I personally don't like how the images cover the text but that's just my preference. Do you know if you can have different printing on each side of the chip? If you want to take full advantage I feel like you should have something different printed on the opposite side. Maybe use numbers instead of text?
Here are the edges

If you line up the edges, here's what you get:
very ambitious and creative use of the rolling edge. so basically you need to order 5 different versions of each chip

I personally don't like how the images cover the text but that's just my preference. Do you know if you can have different printing on each side of the chip? If you want to take full advantage I feel like you should have something different printed on the opposite side. Maybe use numbers instead of text?

very ambitious and creative use of the rolling edge. so basically you need to order 5 different versions of each chip
Yep, 5 versions of each chip (4 for the greens).

I've thought about the graphics covering the text and decided I like it. I might change my mind.

I can print something different on each side (the dealer buttons are different), and I've thought about numbers instead of text. The problem I run into is the 1 is short compared to 100 or 500 and it looks odd in a big space. I've yet to see a chip that I really like with something different on both sides (but maybe I don't look at enough chip pr0n). I could do white text (like in the samples) on one side, and the text in the inlay circle on the other. Or text on one side and nothing on the other. I'll stew on that.

Thanks for the feedback.

The new rolling edges are fantastic. You're really leveraging the strengths of ceramic design possibilities to create an amazing design.

Most people (myself included) just create a ceramic set that mimics a clay set with edgespots and inlay.

Looking forward to seeing this set once it's complete.

As for the images being on top of the denom text. You said you were ok with it, but one suggestion may be to shift the text in areas that won't be obscured? On your 1, 5, 25 the text is at the 2, 6,and 10 o'clock positions. Try 12, 4, and 8 o'clock positions where the art doesn't overlap?

I'm still working out some details on these, but I have new design for the back. It moves the denomination off the front altogether, which makes the front cleaner. What do you think?
Slide1.PNG
Slide2.PNG
Slide5.PNG
Slide6.PNG
Slide7.PNG
Slide8.PNG
Slide9.PNG
Slide10.PNG
NMPR Chipset Version 7.2.png
Slide11.PNG

Attachments

• Slide12.PNG
    Slide12.PNG
    89.2 KB · Views: 70
Are you planning to make all four versions of dealer buttons?

I'm still working out some details on these, but I have new design for the back. It moves the denomination off the front altogether, which makes the front cleaner. What do you think?
View attachment 752812View attachment 752811View attachment 752810View attachment 752809View attachment 752808View attachment 752807View attachment 752806View attachment 752805View attachment 752813View attachment 752803
Do you have a preference for the words over the numerals?

If you go with this approach, how about a big "1" instead of writing out 'One Dollar'. I think the simplicity of that in contrast to the more graphic heavy front would be a nice contrast (and provide for easier/faster reading).

The color matching on the denomination side makes it difficult to read. Unless you love the written version numerical denominations would look better.

These look good.

I think you may want to consider different colors for the denom side for better contrast. Be able to identify the value of a chip from across the poker table.

Looks great! My 2¢- boost the contrast on the Nuclear Monkey Room along the outer ring. Based on your samples, the 5 and 100 need the most attention. Yellow on the red and lime green on the black- both those colors are in the radiation symbol design. Not sure about the 500 as that radiation symbol is lavender and lime green- which would be great on the black.

I just received a set of chips with the denoms on one side and logo on the other, so count me as a big proponent of this idea! I like seeing the larger versions of the monkeys on the one side.

I agree with others in this case, the color matching text is blending in too much making the denom almost unreadable. The one works, the one hundred almost works, but I'm having a tough time reading the rest

I'm not sure what to suggest, but might come up with something as I keep coming back and looking at these.

Do you have a preference for the words over the numerals?
Yes, for the face on these. I'll have the numeral on the rolling edge. I've tried the numerals, and I can't get them to look right. The 1 is sooo skinny and I feel the space needs more substance. So the words provide that. Maybe I'm not designing the numerals right.

These look good.

I think you may want to consider different colors for the denom side for better contrast. Be able to identify the value of a chip from across the poker table.
One other thing to note, in my game, all of the players will know the value by the outer ring color. In the last 25 of our regular games, no one has ever asked what a chip is worth, and we use Claysmith Mint chips now (which are not easily readable either).

Looks great! My 2¢- boost the contrast on the Nuclear Monkey Room along the outer ring. Based on your samples, the 5 and 100 need the most attention. Yellow on the red and lime green on the black- both those colors are in the radiation symbol design. Not sure about the 500 as that radiation symbol is lavender and lime green- which would be great on the black.
With regard to the outer ring contrast issue,, do you mean the sample chip BroPro sent me? If so, I've already lightened the NMPR text on the black chip and I'm getting samples of different shades of red to improve the red chip.

I already sent you a PM, but there will be a lot of interest in these if you don't mind ordering a bunch.
I don't mind doing something. How does that work? Does everyone place orders through BrPro? or do I take orders from y'all and then place an order with BrPro and you pay me back?

I'll follow up with a PM. Lots of different ways to do it.

All right, y'all talked into me into numerals. Here are the new designs. I haven't decided on the shade of red or orange yet. Samples are on their way from BrPro to figure it out. BrPro is also helping me to to make sure the edge designs work. Himewad is going to run a group buy on the dealer buttons. Is there interest in a group buy for these? If there is, I'd consider putting one together.

Attachments

• Slide5.PNG
    Slide5.PNG
    159.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Slide2.PNG
    Slide2.PNG
    134.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Slide1.PNG
    Slide1.PNG
    193 KB · Views: 82
  • Slide13.PNG
    Slide13.PNG
    234.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Slide12.PNG
    Slide12.PNG
    71.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Slide11.PNG
    Slide11.PNG
    197 KB · Views: 80
  • Slide10.PNG
    Slide10.PNG
    76.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Slide9.PNG
    Slide9.PNG
    177.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Slide8.PNG
    Slide8.PNG
    118.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Slide7.PNG
    Slide7.PNG
    176.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Slide6.PNG
    Slide6.PNG
    94.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Slide14.PNG
    Slide14.PNG
    183.4 KB · Views: 78
Himewad is going to run a group buy on the dealer buttons.
I will just run this in this thread (already cleared with @nuclearmonkey ). There are two dealer buttons, each with a different image on each side.

Nuclear Monkey DB #1
1629304261186.png1629304266298.png

Nuclear Monkey DB #2
1629304308279.png1629304314309.png

Nuclear Monkey DB rolling edge
1629304346455.png

To place an order, just post in this thread as follows:
DB#1 x 1
DB#2 x 2

This will only be open to orders for a few days, as we would like to get the order placed early next week. Thanks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom