No more auctions (1 Viewer)

Yea your stance is pretty clear. If you do it, it’s ok. If others do it, it’s not. You have no idea what other people have done with their auctions. Maybe they did the exact same as you.

Let people do whatever they want with their chips. If you don’t like it, don’t participate. Don’t shame people into following your personal view (which you only sometimes follow).

Totally depends on what you're selling IMO. If you have a set of CPC Rounders chips or some Grand Vic primaries to sell, then ya, it's pretty easy to list them at a fixed price and find a happy buyer to sell them to. But what if you have a full set of Mapes with racks of the $1s and a couple barrels of the $100s, or a set of Lakeshore Inn (no, they're not for sale)? Those chips are far more rare and valuable. I would say the greater "sin" would be to list them at a dibs listing instead of auctioning them off to give everyone a chance at them. I hate the dibs listing norms around here far more than I do any auctions. With auctions, at least I have a chance at the chips I want.

Prime example... I sold someone about 200 Lakeshore Inn $1s & $20s about 2 years ago via PM because I thought I'd never find more. Fast forward to the present, and I scored a great set of them and am now 50 $1s shy of completing my set. Potsie also has a set and needs 150 more $1s to complete his set. We've both been trying to track down these Lakeshore $1s for a while now. A few months back, the person I originally sold the ~160 $1s to decided to sell 2 racks of the Lakeshore $1s after selling me back one of the racks I sold him. So he puts them up for a dibs sale. Those two racks could have completed both my set and Potsie's set making 3 completed and playable Lakeshore Inn sets in the community. But instead, the guy listed them as a dibs sale and they went to some random chipper who is unknowingly now blocking both of us from completing our sets.

I know we all have differing views about the chip market, but in my opinion, the greatest sin I see around here is set blocking, not flipping. Auctions are an important tool in free markets. Getting rid of auctions here will have detrimental consequences to the community. The best sets will begin to migrate out as sellers would simply just turn to eBay with their grail sets.

Also, auctions are a great way to sell those random unique sets that some really have a well defined market. Like ASM Ewing mold hot stamps, or all the cool random sets that navels, kmccormick100, and megaton come across from outside the community.

If we're taking about a rack of Jacks $100s though, then sure, I agree. Just list the damn chips at a set price. But if you are selling your ACF Paulsons, for the love of God, auction them off please!

With all do respect, I pretty much disagree with most of what you said Travis.

Auctions should go to eBay. Classifieds should be for WTS and WTB only. And regardless, the best sets and all the best add-ons and whatever people need to ‘complete’ their sets will predominantly get done via PMs. That will never change.

Yea your stance is pretty clear. If you do it, it’s ok. If others do it, it’s not. You have no idea what other people have done with their auctions. Maybe they did the exact same as you.

Let people do whatever they want with their chips. If you don’t like it, don’t participate. Don’t shame people into following your personal view (which you only sometimes follow).
Well I don't think it's okay if I do it either. Does that make things more clear? I admitted there is a time and place it may be appropriate. As navels has made a good point in his post earlier in the thread. My hypocrisy is irrelevant here.

Of course I'll "let people do whatever they want" and "won't participate". I couldn't care less considering I'm hardly buying chips and don't plan to. I'm looking out for the greater good here and deep down I believe that.

And yes I do have a good idea what a lot of people did with their auctions, some pretty blatantly easy to figure out. Buy jack chips retail - then sell in an auction starting at purchase price.

So I could be a dick and say the same as you, you don't like my post? Move along.

I didn't make this thread to benefit myself whether you believe it or not. And anyone I've ever dealt with hasn't had a problem with our transactions. I lose every time I buy and sell a chip, and big time when it comes to shipping and border fees.

Honestly you lot could drive me into flipping my set and saying fuck this whole community sometimes. Could make a nice profit off my Jack set. Could make up a bunch of reasons why I need to sell them for a profit and make a thread about it.. seems like the thing to do

Well I don't think it's okay if I do it either. Does that make things more clear? I admitted there is a time and place it may be appropriate. As navels has made a good point in his post earlier in the thread. My hypocrisy is irrelevant here.

Of course I'll "let people do whatever they want" and "won't participate". I couldn't care less considering I'm hardly buying chips and don't plan to. I'm looking out for the greater good here and deep down I believe that.

And yes I do have a good idea what a lot of people did with their auctions, some pretty blatantly easy to figure out. Buy jack chips retail - then sell in an auction starting at purchase price.

So I could be a dick and say the same as you, you don't like my post? Move along.

I didn't make this thread to benefit myself whether you believe it or not. And anyone I've ever dealt with hasn't had a problem with our transactions. I lose every time I buy and sell a chip, and big time when it comes to shipping and border fees.

Honestly you lot could drive me into flipping my set and saying fuck this whole community sometimes. Could make a nice profit off my Jack set. Could make up a bunch of reasons why I need to sell them for a profit and make a thread about it.. seems like the thing to do

Glad we transacted fairly bud!! Jacks secondary 1k’s at cost for 100 primary’s at cost. You won’t believe what I had to pay to get my secondary 1k’s back. But that’s ok.

:tup:

meh,
I auctioned most of my sample sets off. I couldn't find what I had paid for them, or what they had sold for. Plus, it was easier than trying to start 1 thread with each one and maintaining it. in the end, some went for more than I thought, and some a lot less. I am also glad that everyone got the opportunity to get them. Luckily, I have no need to sell or buy chips at the moment, so I'm indifferent on the subject.

I don't really have any skin in this game, but for me people should be able to sell their chips however they wish. If someone wants to pay $5/chip or more for something and they have the money to do it, more power to them. That's outside my realm of reality, and I'd rather put that money towards customs one day.

I have some sample sets of the boat chips and big top. I could sell them at inflated prices and I know they'd move, but I decided to keep them because I like them and the money I'd gain isn't going to change my life. Now, if someone wanted to pay me 10K for a sample set of them, well, everyone has their price :p

At the end of the day, it's not my place to tell someone what they should do with their own property (whether buying or selling). If I don't like the price of something, I just won't buy it. Seems pretty simple to me.

How do I bid on that?
Haha. Well if you were part of the boat buy then you would be in a good spot to start the bidding!
Let's oust the guy who never flips for profit, always donated to every fundraiser and looks out for the community as a whole!

#PCFHeirarchy :)

The point of the thread seems to be once again sharing your opinions of how everyone else should buy and sell their chips in order to please you, right?

The bottom line is that people are auctioning off nearly everything now and it's not beneficial to the community in the long run. There are certainly certain chips that may fit the bill for an auction sale but if every single sale is an auction it's not good. (Disclaimer - since apparently everything needs a disclaimer on this site - THIS IS MY OPINION) Other opinions are welcome too. There have been many constructive posts in this thread actually.

My honest perspective:
Idc how anyone sells their chips as far as for my own personal reasons. I am only in the market for less than 500 more chips total and im practically done. And I don't even need them and don't plan on buying them anytime soon. I have a lot of other expenses coming up including weddings and houses that are going to prevent me from even buying chips if I wanted to. So I'm satisfied. I was trying to look out for people like YOU.

Now are you just part of the dogpile or do you have anything constructive to say? Do you always go around shitting on everyone sharing their opinion or just me? Cuz there are often lots of opinions going around on many different topics.

Last edited:
There are certainly certain chips that may fit the bill for an auction sale but if every single sale is an auction it's not good. (Disclaimer - since apparently everything needs a disclaimer on this site - THIS IS MY OPINION)

It seems to me that seldom are chips being auctioned? Any time I look at the classifieds there's maybe 1-2 on the front page? 0 right now as an example.

Not irrelevant at all. The entire argument is sour grapes. People can't afford what something's selling for and they're pissed.
I think it’s mixed tbh. I’m still fairly new, I’m fine with auctions, but I’m also definitely jealous of the epic sets I just can’t buy right now (lakeshores cough cough). I can understand people disliking auctions for another reason though - people who have been here since CT or 2-3+ years or just people who are good natured and don’t try to make money here despite being able to use some extra cash - who have seen this shift from a community to more of a mixed community/marketplace.

@GIANTDustySquid your opinion is completely valid but I think the abrasive tone of your OP is earning you a chunk of the flak that may not have come otherwise.

It seems to me that seldom are chips being auctioned? Any time I look at the classifieds there's maybe 1-2 on the front page? 0 right now as an example.
Don’t forget page two has two auctions one of which is for charity and the other is for a set that was listed for quite a while and whose starting bid was less than half of the original WTS price :tup:

The bottom line is that people are auctioning off nearly everything now and it's not beneficial to the community in the long run. There are certainly certain chips that may fit the bill for an auction sale but if every single sale is an auction it's not good. (Disclaimer - since apparently everything needs a disclaimer on this site - THIS IS MY OPINION) Other opinions are welcome too. There have been many constructive posts in this thread actually.

My honest perspective:
Idc how anyone sells their chips as far as for my own personal reasons. I am only in the market for less than 500 more chips total and im practically done. And I don't even need them and don't plan on buying them anytime soon. I have a lot of other expenses coming up including weddings and houses that are going to prevent me from even buying chips if I wanted to. So I'm satisfied. I was trying to look out for people like YOU.

Now are you just part of the dogpile or do you have anything constructive to say? Do you always go around shitting on everyone sharing their opinion or just me? Cuz there are often lots of opinions going around on many different topics.

Look... I've only been around the forums since the china clay CPS order (about 5 years now), but I have seen a lot of changes in that short period of time. In general, prices of chips have only gone up over that time span. And they've gone up dramatically.

This has changed the entire marketplace, and has changed motivations for buyers and sellers. It has pushed people to find new ways to obtain chips (boat buys, BTP, etc.), it has created a profit based motivation, and has even seeded hatred among well known members for foolish and childish reasons (see: people calling/emailing GPI to try and get forum members in legal trouble, calling/emailing Caesars about ES2T chips, emailing the WSOP, etc.).

I've seen your rants on and off for the last 12-16 months now, and to briefly summarize:
  • If you flip chips, you're an asshole.
  • If you sell any chips at a profit, you're an asshole.
  • If you were in the boat buy, you're an asshole.
  • If you bought chips from someone IN the boat buy, you're an asshole for encouraging their behavior.
  • If you don't sell boat chips at GPI costs, you're an asshole.
  • If you don't sell BTP chips at GPI costs, you're an asshole.
  • If you trash talk other chipping forums, or those on other chipping forums, you're an asshole.
  • If you get chips direct from Paulson without letting the entire community participate, you're an asshole.
  • If you run an auction, you're an asshole.
I'd guess 95%+ of the chipping community is an asshole by your standards.

I get it, prices of chips have gone WAY up, and it sucks. We are a very niche community that has seen a drastic uptick in participation and members, and thus demand, for our very limited yet highly sought after collectible. Basic supply and demand pressures on those circumstances dictate massive prices hikes, and it's literally impossible for human nature not to kick in in some instances when large profits are obtainable. Even when it's coming from friends and neighbors.

You wanna talk about gouging friends and neighbors, come and visit the Denver real estate market my man. I got raped on a complete fix-er-upper by a friend of mine, but I had no choice, because it was my only option in the price-range/location.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Look... I've only been around the forums since the china clay CPS order (about 5 years now), but I have seen a lot of changes in that short period of time. In general, prices of chips have only gone up over that time span. And they've gone up dramatically.

This has changed the entire marketplace, and has changed motivations for buyers and sellers. It has pushed people to find new ways to obtain chips (boat buys, BTP, etc.), it has created a profit based motivation, and has even seeded hatred among well known members for foolish and childish reasons (see: people calling/emailing GPI to try and get forum members in legal trouble, calling/emailing Caesars about ES2T chips, emailing the WSOP, etc.).

I've seen your rants on and off for the last 12-16 months now, and to briefly summarize:
  • If you bought chips from someone IN the boat buy, you're an asshole for encouraging their behavior.
  • If you trash talk other chipping forums, or those on other chipping forums, you're an asshole.
  • If you get chips direct from Paulson without letting the entire community participate, you're an asshole.
I'd guess 95%+ of the chipping community is an asshole by your standards.

I get it, prices of chips have gone WAY up, and it sucks. We are a very niche community that has seen a drastic uptick in participation and members, and thus demand, for our very limited yet highly sought after collectible. Basic supply and demand pressures on those circumstances dictate massive prices hikes, and it's literally impossible for human nature not to kick in in some instances when large profits are obtainable. Even when it's coming from friends and neighbors.

You wanna talk about gouging friends and neighbors, come and visit the Denver real estate market my man. I got raped on a complete fix-er-upper by a friend of mine, but I had no choice, because it was my only option in the price-range/location.

Asshole !
:ROFL: :ROFLMAO: ;)

With all do respect, I pretty much disagree with most of what you said Travis.

Auctions should go to eBay. Classifieds should be for WTS and WTB only. And regardless, the best sets and all the best add-ons and whatever people need to ‘complete’ their sets will predominantly get done via PMs. That will never change.

No no no last thing you want is eBay people to see what we are really willing to pay.

I got raped on a complete fix-er-upper by a friend of mine, but I had no choice

Is he still a friend of yours? Do you enjoy his company?
Sure, the game shapes players, but not all players are the same.

No judgment here. I think we're all assholes who spend money on trivial shit like poker chips when so many others can't pay their bills. For that, we are all fortunate.

There's always going to be pros and cons to every selling methodology:

Dibs - standard/generally accepted format, but screws over folks in different time zones

PM/private sales - good way to do favors for chipper friends, but can be viewed as cliquey and not inclusive

Raffles - cheap way for folks with less discretionary income to have a shot at a nice set, but many sets were oversold and the legality was sketchy.

Auctions - good way to determine market value for chips and include other time zones, but maximum value extraction could keep prices high

Capped Auction/"Raffle" combo - seems like a pretty cool idea if cap is reasonable. Gives people time to take note of the sale, adds some luck, but also avoids people paying to enter the raffle.

Sadly, gamesmanship is a part of life, be it at the professional, personal, or hobbyist levels. If you search for the fairest option, someone will always find a way to exploit it. I guess I just try not to be a total scumbag and make everything exclusively about myself.

Let’s not blame the boat chippers, BTP’ers, pooping parrots, flippers, auctioneers, or anyone else for the recent skyrocketing prices of chips.

We should lay the blame where it truly belongs:

@Changster

:D

Haha... it’s just temporary.... a single market participant who is basically done buying already. I’m already in the phase of organizing and deciding which to sell back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom