New Theme: Canadiana, or something, eh? (3 Viewers)

cpac54

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Shelving my "cycling-themed" project as I realized I just wasn't into it (and tbf, neither were any of the players I showed the ideas too) and so it's on to something else!

I've wanted to do something "Canada" related for some time. I'd like to go for something FUN, BRIGHT, and totally not all that serious (think BTP, Bill's Haus of Bluff, or Coke Giraffe types of designs! ;) )

As I'm admittedly nothing of a design guru, I'd love to get as many opinions from the many experts on PCF, both on ideas for inlay design, as well as for edge spots and colours.

Names:
To be defined, but it should be something funny and Canadian, eh?
- The Hoser Hut
- Hosers Haus of Poker
- Hosers Card & Fun Room
- Conor's Hoser Haus
- Maple Syrup Poker Lounge

Inlay Design:
Would like to lump a stereotypical Canadian animal in with something hockey-related, wearing a tuque or a plaid shirt or hockey jersey.

Something like...
bear lumberjack.png
IMG_5775.jpg

or...
beaver 2.jpg
IMG_5777.jpg

Thoughts??

A good Canadiana name is Dave...
There is a great song by the Kids in the Hall, a deep cut reference could be Daves Poker Hall. (Not Dave's...DAVES)

The $1.00 chip needs to have a Loon on it.. (Our one dollar coin is called a "Loonie" because it has a loon on it)

1596137712805.png

Anything vintage Hockey Night in Canada:
1596137997084.png

Anything vintage CBC
1596138069462.png

And anything to do with The Log Driver's Waltz
1596138365789.png

Oh and were' not just all about the hockey...
We are pretty proud of our Curlers too...

1596138673947.png

A good Canadiana name is Dave...
There is a great song by the Kids in the Hall, a deep cut reference could be Daves Poker Hall. (Not Dave's...DAVES)

The $1.00 chip needs to have a Loon on it.. (Our one dollar coin is called a "Loonie" because it has a loon on it)

View attachment 500276

Anything vintage Hockey Night in Canada:
View attachment 500277

Anything vintage CBC
View attachment 500279

And anything to do with The Log Driver's Waltz
View attachment 500281

Oh and were' not just all about the hockey...
We are pretty proud of our Curlers too...

View attachment 500282

For the record, I'm Canadian, eh ;)

I had an idea to do a different animal for each denom, with a Loon of course adorning the $1 chip. In the end, I think I'd like a central "character" across all chips. Though I did find this gem while looking for ideas...

1596138997693.png

I like the KITH reference... it would probably be lost on everyone over here, lol. I did want to add something like a Timmy's cup into the hand of whichever animal I ended up going with... Hockey stick over one shoulder, a cuppa Tim's in the other hand.

Either a bear or a beaver would be adorable.
I particularly like the "wildlife is good" motto, so try to come up with some surreal inscription like "wildlife poker".:)
I' ve detected too much of the very same hue of blue on some of the candidate line-ups.
Here's my 2c, including my take of spot progression:
Canadian?.png

Last edited:
Either a bear or a beaver would be adorable.
I particularly like the "wildlife is good" motto, so try to come up with some surreal inscription like "wildlife poker".:)
I' ve detected too much of the very same hue of blue on some of candidate the line-ups.
Here's my 2c, including my take of spot progression:
View attachment 500370

Like it, but this needs to be an HHR- mold set all the way (for the mounties ;) )

Trying a few different colour combos out. The more I play, the more I realize how difficult it is to find a colour combo for a base white $100 that I like. Starting to feel like Charcoal is the way to go...

Looking at the sample colours, I realize that Dayglow Orange looks vastly different in real life vs. online.

Mocked up a green $25 as well just to see... I've always liked that colour combo from the ESPT T25.

1596205058111.png

1596205132504.png

Throw a curling stone in somewhere. :D one of my favorite things to do in Canada is chill out and watch some curling on TV. It’s always on and I strangely get into it even though I’ve only figured out about half the rules. There was a ton of Brier coverage last time I was up there, it was heaven for me. Whistler, timmys, and curling..... I was set for the long haul.

Throw a curling stone in somewhere. :D one of my favorite things to do in Canada is chill out and watch some curling on TV. It’s always on and I strangely get into it even though I’ve only figured out about half the rules. There was a ton of Brier coverage last time I was up there, it was heaven for me. Whistler, timmys, and curling..... I was set for the long haul.
I've actually been pondering putting a different inlay design on the backside of each chips. I wanted to put a Timmy's cup and a half-eaten donut or something. Possibly a stubby of Molson Canadian, but the curling rock is a good idea too!

Random thoughts/opinions.
  • I mentioned this in another thread with Canadian themes, but you simply must have a french inlay, and a english inlay to comply with the Official Languages Act (1969).
  • I'm also thinking that there should be a soley red/white chip as well as perhaps a union jack chip.
  • Innuendo about Beavers and Moose have been done a thousand times and are kind of meh now.
  • Canadian Tire Money?????
  • Random Name/Theme Ideas
    • Fathers of Confederation
    • Dominion of Canada
    • Province House, Charlottetown, PEI
    • Westminster Palace Hotel (Site of London Conference of 1866 where BNA Act was ratified)
    • Canuck ______ hotel or cardroom etc.
    • Great White North
    • Northern Neighbour (spelling!)
    • Something Zamboni related
    • Canadian Heritage Moment(s)?

Not to pile on or tell you what to do with your set too much, but I also was waiting to see a chip with red and white on it. It doesn’t really fit too well with your current feel, but if it matters at all to you count me as another person who expected to see the red and white in there some where. The true North strong and free chip!!! :D

Random thoughts/opinions.
  • I mentioned this in another thread with Canadian themes, but you simply must have a french inlay, and a english inlay to comply with the Official Languages Act (1969).
  • I'm also thinking that there should be a soley red/white chip as well as perhaps a union jack chip.
  • Innuendo about Beavers and Moose have been done a thousand times and are kind of meh now.
  • Canadian Tire Money?????
  • Random Name/Theme Ideas
    • Fathers of Confederation
    • Dominion of Canada
    • Province House, Charlottetown, PEI
    • Westminster Palace Hotel (Site of London Conference of 1866 where BNA Act was ratified)
    • Canuck ______ hotel or cardroom etc.
    • Great White North
    • Northern Neighbour (spelling!)
    • Something Zamboni related
    • Canadian Heritage Moment(s)?

Yesss!

I've certainly played with the idea of a Red and White chip, but as has been mentioned, it just doesn't play well with the aim of a really bright lineup. That said, perhaps I can work that into the set in the form of Member's Chip, similar to what @sheikh617 did for his chips.

I know you're going for BTP/fun type colors, but how can a set be Canada-themed and not involve the national colors anywhere?

This would be my frac in your situation. Granted, it doesn't really fit with your them, and I know black's not on the flag, but it's on the hockey jerseys, which is more important lol.

At least make a "Show Me" chip or something to fit these colors in

Canada Frac.jpg

I know you're going for BTP/fun type colors, but how can a set be Canada-themed and not involve the national colors anywhere?

This would be my frac in your situation. Granted, it doesn't really fit with your them, and I know black's not on the flag, but it's on the hockey jerseys, which is more important lol.

At least make a "Show Me" chip or something to fit these colors in

View attachment 500670

the Show Me chip is something I hadn’t considered. I like it:tup:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom