Need another pandemic hobby (1 Viewer)

Rhodeman77

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I need something to keep me occupied while the pandemic continues to drag on. I have pretty much burned myself out playing online poker. I was playing 6-7 nights per week for months. I will still play, but I am going to aim for 2 nights per week.

I have already designed and ordered a custom CPC set, a ceramic limit set with plaques.

My alcohol tolerance is as high as it has even been (not @CraigT78 or @detroitdad level, I hope o_O) so I need a better distraction!

So what else is everyone doing to pass time?

I have started to read more again so if you have any book suggestions I am open to them

I find raising an infant is pretty good distraction. Have you considered another child? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
As a new parent (7 month old daughter), I can confirm this statement! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Agree with @Perthmike on taking the time to focus on fitness. Home gym project, maybe?

I built out mine over the past several months (home bike trainer and tv set-up out of view):
1608648093436.png

I’ve been doing a lot of reading durning the pandemic. Also, a lot of poker. Picked up a few poker books (ones that you’ve probably already read) and started reading books on investing.

Also, a little more golf.

Calisthenics, yoga/stretching, outdoor walks when weather permits. The endorphin high and fresh air has helped keep me sane during lockdown. Minimal $ investment too. Body building/weight training is great if you have the money and space.

I definitely want to exercise more. During decent weather I take the kids for a walk to the park most days. But the weather is crap for the next 2-3 months now.

my normal exercise routine is to use my elliptical while I watch TV and or play online poker. But I find I slow down or stop a lot if I am playing poker so it isn’t that effective. Again part of the reason I want to reduce the online poker.

We have a spare room in the basement that is just storage right now. Clearing out some of that space and getting some free weights could be a possibility.

Everyone is unique but I would be lost without outdoor running and or walking. I don’t personally understand how someone can workout solely indoors. I really try not to let the weather stop me, and almost every time I force myself to get out there when it’s a bit nasty I’m glad I did. The things I have seen and done throughout 30 plus years of this outdoor stuff is immeasurable. But I often feel I need another hobby as well, especially in the winter. More ice fishing is hopefully on the horizon.
I am also trying to diversify my cooking which I also enjoy, and have just started dabbling in cast iron.
I think if I played a ton of online poker and somehow made a meaningful amount of money, I’d still look back on most of it as a waste of my life.

Malcolm Gladwell.

also hobbies are for nerds.

play more poker.

No, please, not Gladwell. He’s a very talented bullshitter. There are some hilarious takedowns to be found online with a little googling, which expose how really slick he is at convincing people of stuff that doesn’t actually check out.

Anyway, some suggestions:

1. Reading books on probability/statistics/randomness and the related topics of logic/self-delusion are a “hobby” I’ve taken up. Lots of great, non-boring titles out there, and of course the topic relates to poker. Couple of suggestions:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2272880.The_Drunkard_s_Walk

https://www.routledge.com/Introduct...es/Schoenberg-Schoenberg/p/book/9781498776189

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/dec/13/thinking-fast-slow-daniel-kahneman

2. A non-poker hobby (which can devolve into chip-esque fanatical collecting and hoarding, if one is not careful): Architectural Lego. I don’t build the stuff in the kits, just buy the kits and then make up crazy houses. I was really into this early in the pandemic, probably going to resume now that it’s cold again.

3. Growing stuff. I’ve been learning how to germinate various types of plants and trees indoors, and then either using them for houseplants or, um, cooking... or planting them outdoors when it gets warm.

Everyone is unique but I would be lost without outdoor running and or walking. I don’t personally understand how someone can workout solely indoors. I really try not to let the weather stop me, and almost every time I force myself to get out there when it’s a bit nasty I’m glad I did. The things I have seen and done throughout 30 plus years of this outdoor stuff is immeasurable. But I often feel I need another hobby as well, especially in the winter. More ice fishing is hopefully on the horizon.
I am also trying to diversify my cooking which I also enjoy, and have just started dabbling in cast iron.
I think if I played a ton of online poker and somehow made a meaningful amount of money, I’d still look back on most of it as a waste of my life.
Cast iron you say?

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/crispy-cheesy-pan-pizza-recipe

You're welcome.

CF701BE3-628C-452A-867D-78DD2E1CF330.jpg

Last edited:
P.S. My own other major hobby (besides spending much of my time trying to tame the wilderness around my house, and trying to learn how to fix power equipment myself by reading parts manuals and watching YouTube videos, lol) is foraging for mushrooms and edible plants. However, it’s the wrong season for that in much of our world, and also it’s a potentially dangerous hobby which I do not recommend just diving into willy-nilly without a lot of study and advice and people to walk with/assist you on identification.

I've upped my cooking game. I experiment with different cultures. I try to come up with my own recipes. Recently I made a Thai Curry dish that was fantastic. I think next weekend I'm going to work on tackling a Vietnamese dish.

Jake and I also started playing chess again. I tried online, but as with poker it just isn't the same. We are faithfully getting together once a week for a game or two.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom