Need advice on buying a poker chip set (1 Viewer)

wvqb12

Reaction score
Hello, I’m new to this forum and looking for advice on a 1,000 chip set. I’ve read numerous posts on mapping and whether you can achieve both cash and tournament in one set. All of the readings have been very helpful but I think I might be more confused now that I’m more educated. I don’t think I’ll ever have the amount of players most of you have and wanted to get some mapping advice on 4-6 player for a 1,000 chip set.

I’m looking to purchase the dia de los muertos from brpoker. With cash denominations of .25, 1, 5, 25 and maybe 100. Most blinds will be .25/.50, .50/$1 and $1/$2. (I’ve read amazing advice on mapping for these amounts but I can’t find any mapping for both cash and tourney) Can you offer the amount per denomination I would need for a max of 6 players?

Also, I’d like to purchase for tournament in the same 1,000 set. Denominations would be the remaining $100, $500, $1000, $5000 and they have (2) plaques I can customize. Can you offer the amount per denomination I would need for a max of 6 players? Also, What plaque denominations would you recommend and what’s the minimum number I would need to purchase for them?

Thanks for anyone that is willing to help map me for cash and tourney and help me build this set. Sorry for the long post from a newbie.

First off welcome to PCF :)

The DDLM chips are a nice option. You won't be disappointed.

You definitely will want the tournament and cash chips to be distinguished from one another. I don't think you'll have issues having both sets comprised of DDLM chips since the denoms are different. You might want to get the hundos customized to be different colors though so they don't accidentally get comingled.

For a 6-person cash game, you're discussing a pretty wide range of stakes. For example, you'll use the $.25 chips a lot in the lower stakes but at $1/2 you'll never need them. Also, you're probably not going to need many $100 chips (if any at all) at $1/2.

The way to think about it is how much money is going to be on the table at any given time. 6 players buying in for an average of $300 = $1800. So a breakdown something like this would probably be fine:

100 x $.25
150 x $1
250 x $5
50 x $25

$2675 total bank.

For the tournament set, depending on the starting stacks you could do something like:

150 x T100
150 x T500
100 x T1000
50 x T5000

So a 10k starting stacks could use a 10/10/4 breakdown; 20k could use 10/10/4/2; etc.

I’d personally treat as two sets. At 1,000 chips total there’s no real benefit/efficiency to having one set that you can use for both purposes and it invites confusion (or worse case, someone pocketing a $100 chip from the tournament and trying to slip into cash, though at the stakes you’re playing would likely be easily caught).

Also if you do separate sets (they can both be DDLM if semi-custom to distinguish), then you can introduce T25 chips that won’t get confused w/$25 chips and give you more flexibility on tournament structures. Lots of posts about breakdowns and tools like the one @LeLe linked to.

Last edited:
Welcome. Where about in Pittsburgh?
Near washington. Just easier to say Pitt on a national forum. How about yourself?

Thank you to everyone that responded with advice. Much appreciated.

Lastly, if I wanted some plaques would you use $25k and $100k denominations (or other) and how many of each (multiples of 10)?

Hello, I’m new to this forum and looking for advice on a 1,000 chip set. I’ve read numerous posts on mapping and whether you can achieve both cash and tournament in one set. All of the readings have been very helpful but I think I might be more confused now that I’m more educated. I don’t think I’ll ever have the amount of players most of you have and wanted to get some mapping advice on 4-6 player for a 1,000 chip set.

I’m looking to purchase the dia de los muertos from brpoker. With cash denominations of .25, 1, 5, 25 and maybe 100. Most blinds will be .25/.50, .50/$1 and $1/$2. (I’ve read amazing advice on mapping for these amounts but I can’t find any mapping for both cash and tourney) Can you offer the amount per denomination I would need for a max of 6 players?

Also, I’d like to purchase for tournament in the same 1,000 set. Denominations would be the remaining $100, $500, $1000, $5000 and they have (2) plaques I can customize. Can you offer the amount per denomination I would need for a max of 6 players? Also, What plaque denominations would you recommend and what’s the minimum number I would need to purchase for them?

Thanks for anyone that is willing to help map me for cash and tourney and help me build this set. Sorry for the long post from a newbie.
I'll send you a PM on a DDLM set I'm going to be listing.

T20000
200 - t100
100 - t500
140 - t1000
60 - t5000
Enough for 13ish buy in/rebuy

160 - 25¢
240 - $1 (use these as 10¢ for low stakes)
80 - $5
20 - $20
I'd recommend something like this.

1k chips is more than you need. Standard STT sets can really easily be ~400 chips and even robust cash sets are ~600 chips. Most of us frankly go overboard just because we want to have more chips.

I've found this to be really helpful: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ut-a-cash-game-chip-set-5c-10c-to-5-10.30897/

If you are playing 0.25/0.50 and people aren't buying in for huge amounts or repeatedly rebuying several times you will never need a $100 in your cash game. It can be fun to have like a barrel in the set, but you won't use it.

Then you can have a tournament set that starts at T100 or T500. Hell, if you even want to you can do $20 in your cash set and T25 in your tournament set and not worry about overlap.

You can use the Following link / tool for your selection

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/resources/poker-set-selection-tool.90/

You can for example spend about 600 chips under Cash Game 25c/50c - $1/$2

And also 400 chips under T100 Tourney
Hi LeLe, I saw Portland in your location as well as Singapore. Portland OR, I assume. Coffee shop and book shop capital of the world. I still have my postcards of Singapore as well as old one's of Boat Quay (b&w). I still have my Raffles Sling glass.

Near washington. Just easier to say Pitt on a national forum. How about yourself?

Thank you to everyone that responded with advice. Much appreciated.

Lastly, if I wanted some plaques would you use $25k and $100k denominations (or other) and how many of each (multiples of 10)?
or Houston or near Saris or near Perry Como. I live in Pgh too. Welcome.

Hi LeLe, I saw Portland in your location as well as Singapore. Portland OR, I assume. Coffee shop and book shop capital of the world. I still have my postcards of Singapore as well as old one's of Boat Quay (b&w). I still have my Raffles Sling glass.
Portland is where my reshipper are located are, International need reshipper to save a bit on shipping cost and also some sellers don't deal with international shipment

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom