My Journey As A Professional Poker Player (22 Viewers)

At my game I use a fresh set up for every game- Opened by the dealer at the beginning of the game. I use custom chips and the bag system so I can easily account for every chip at the end of the night. Any rebuys for an additional bags are done with hi denomination chips only so I easily know how many rebuys are out there and can quickly know if any hi denomination chips are missing. Nobody touches the chip inventory except for me (which is kept in the closet).
I also rotate deck brands. This is because I have a number of different setups and like to use them all, but it does serve a secondary function of security. If you want to swap out an unmarked card for a pre-marked card, you better bring extras.

I also rotate deck brands. This is because I have a number of different setups and like to use them all, but it does serve a secondary function of security. If you want to swap out an unmarked card for a pre-marked card, you better bring extras.

Be honest. This is just an excuse to buy different fancy decks :p

Cleaning up some files today. I remember back when this guy could only muster out a 2nd place finish, and probably wouldn't have dreamed of going pro.
Untitled.png

Now all I want is to have a print made, have the pro sign it, and hang it on my poker wall. I mean, if there is ever a second poker boom, this photo would be akin to a signed photo of a young Doyle Brunson in a home game, before he went pro.
:D

Now all I want is to have a print made, have the pro sign it, and hang it on my poker wall. I mean, if there is ever a second poker boom, this photo would be akin to a signed photo of a young Doyle Brunson in a home game, before he went pro.
Let's hope he's not more like a Stu Ungar, with this high-flyin' lifestyle (Firebird decals, flourescent PCs, and all...)

Let's hope he's not more like a Stu Ungar, with this high-flyin' lifestyle (Firebird decals, flourescent PCs, and all...)
I initially used Stu Unger as the comparison, but Stewie's life was soooo tragic. Anthony is far too wise to travel the same path. Just going to the gym as opposed to seeking pharmaceutical relief is an optimal display of making the wiser choice.

Last night was more like the beginning of this clip, not so much the end, welcome to the chesterfield south. Lots of familiar faces, not so much the tourists

There were SIX PLO tables running last night, pairs of 1/2, 2/5 with rock and 5/10 with rock

ALL of them with not so inviting lineups

My table change at 1/2 netted me a few fish up for grabs, managed to bust one, beat another and get beat by one (Had AAKK ds, all red, flop A28 all spades, couldn't get the board to pair and he bet his 85 flush until the river which he checked back

In the end took a -$900 on the session

Time to do work. First hand I pickup :as::ts::2s::2c: in the BB

Bunch of limpers, SB raises to 5, I call, everyone calls

I announce "duece duec duece dealer, punish him!" And the flop is :2h::9d::9s:

He checks to me, I announce "YES, WE GOT HIM!" (btw, I call for duece duece duece A LOT in this game, not just cause I have it)

I bet pot of $30

UTG+1 calls, then the button who is sitting on 2k (max buyin is 500) raises to $160

I opt to get out of the way and thank goodness. He has xx92 and other guy has 97xx and turns a 7 and they get it in

20201115_015849.jpg

Table has some fish but no big wins for me yet. Two chopped pots

AQT4 suited on button against BB who also holds AQT4 suited and raised pre and has been pretty active in making preflop pot juicing raises

Flop AQ5 with 2 not of either of our suit, he check-calls my flop bet, then on the 3 turn (bringing a 2nd flush draw neither of us have) he checkraises all-in and we river the A and chop

Then had JT86 on the button in a raised pot and see a 469 flop

Turn brings a 7 and a flush draw, and we pot it and get two callers including the original raiser (other caller all-in for less)

River pairs the 4, we check-call and original raiser has QJT8 and had the flush draw so we dodged that bullet

Limp-call a raise from MP with :ks::kc::qs::jh:

Raiser is solid TAG on button. 5 ways to flop

:qd::7s::2c:

Checked to him, he bets 35, we call

Turn :4s:

We check-call a 95 bet

River :6h:

We check, he checks back and has AQQ7

I put him on AAxx if we were beat, didn't expect to run into the case Queens

When I do the maths, an opponent hitting/holding the case card is more likely than you might think.

4:42 or 4:43, basically a 1:10 chance. I'm happy to be taught otherwise, because I don't do arithmetic and I'm lousy at Omaha, but on the surface that is what I get.

When I do the maths, an opponent hitting/holding the case card is more likely than you might think.

4:42 or 4:43, basically a 1:10 chance. I'm happy to be taught otherwise, because I don't do arithmetic and I'm lousy at Omaha, but on the surface that is what I get.
9% chance.

1-(43/44 x 42/43 x 41/42 x 40/41 x 39/40)

=1 - (39/44)

=1 - .89

=.11

The thing is, given how solid he had played, I didn't expect him to be raising Queens preflop

Anyway, just got home, -$100 on the session. Up a little and down a little throughout

Had AA77 on a K74 flush draw flop and guy without the flush draw chased his straight, whiffed turn but called it off and binked river to double through me

Later in the session 5-handed I straddle button to $5 for my first time all session. Only SB calls, I pot with :as::ac::ks::7s:

Flop :qd::8c::6d:

He checks, I check behind.

Turn :ah:

He checks, I pot, he calls.

River :7c:

He pots into me for $165

I call, he has :tc::9c::8s::5h: for the double gutter that got there

I double through him shortly after with AK84 in the SB, he raises from BB cause he just can't help himself, one limp caller and I call

Flop A42 and I pot it, he calls, I put the rest in as the turn peels another 4. He calls, river is an Ace and we double

But shortly after that my sciatic pain was flaring pretty bad. Wanted to keep playing but had to pack it in

I call, he has :tc::9c::8s::5h: for the double gutter that got there
When he pots river, do you snap him off, or do you consider that you're likely beat? If the latter, how close were you to laying it down, and why didn't you? Because it can be exploitable? Because the bet was small compared to what's in the pot?

When he pots river, do you snap him off, or do you consider that you're likely beat? If the latter, how close were you to laying it down, and why didn't you? Because it can be exploitable? Because the bet was small compared to what's in the pot?

I didn't snap. But I figured given the way he had been playing he might be betting two pair or a set there.

T9 was certainly possible too, I just felt this guy had enough bluffs in his range and opted to call

9% chance.

1-(43/44 x 42/43 x 41/42 x 40/41 x 39/40)

=1 - (39/44)

=1 - .89

=.11

= 44/44 - 39/44
= 5/44
= 0.1136363636363636363636363636363636... (one of those cool infinitely-repeating decimals)
This is why I hate maths. You both used some "fancy" probability calculations, and came up with a 1-point difference from my calculation. It makes mine wrong, but by so little it wouldn't matter in the calculation of one hand.

I get it of course. You guys can land a rocket on the moon, and I'd say "Let's launch a second rocket - one of them will get there."

Note: I never even took algebra. So any time I get a calculation close, I consider it a win.

Wait.

Later in the session 5-handed I straddle button to $5 for my first time all session. Only SB calls, I pot with :as::ac::ks::7s:

Assuming this is $1/$2, SB posts $1, BB posts $2 and you post $5. Does action start UTG or with SB (left of straddle). You said, 'only SB calls' so I assume action to your left. So when it gets back to you, the pot is $12.

So your pot is $12 and SB calls? So Pot is $36?

Flop :qd::8c::6d:

He checks, I check behind.

So pot is $36.

Turn :ah:

He checks, I pot, he calls.

So pot is $108.

River :7c:

He pots into me for $165

Um...

Also, usually in a NL game, the dealer will pull the rake as soon as their is sufficient money in the pot. Because the betting is NL, it doesn't matter. Am I right to assume that in a PL game, the dealer doesn't take out the rake until the end, so as not to diminish the potential pot bet?

This is why I hate maths. You both used some "fancy" probability calculations, and came up with a 1-point difference from my calculation. It makes mine wrong, but by so little it wouldn't matter in the calculation of one hand.

But sometimes, bad math gets you close for the wrong reasons... Be careful.

And FWIW, @pltrgyst is closer, because he stuck with fractions(and thus avoided rounding) longer.

But sometimes, bad math gets you close for the wrong reasons... Be careful.

And FWIW, @pltrgyst is closer, because he stuck with fractions(and thus avoided rounding) longer.
My bad math is rarely 100% accurate, but it has seldom been way off. Mrs Zombie refers to this as "Mike Math". I was just explaining earlier how subtracting anything by 5 was just "number shapes". It used to infuriate her. Now she's used to it, and can use it in any argument - "You're right, but I'm more right."

So, yeah... "be careful" is more accurate than you know.

Wait.

Assuming this is $1/$2, SB posts $1, BB posts $2 and you post $5. Does action start UTG or with SB (left of straddle). You said, 'only SB calls' so I assume action to your left. So when it gets back to you, the pot is $12.

So your pot is $12 and SB calls? So Pot is $36?

So pot is $36.

So pot is $108.

Um...

Also, usually in a NL game, the dealer will pull the rake as soon as their is sufficient money in the pot. Because the betting is NL, it doesn't matter. Am I right to assume that in a PL game, the dealer doesn't take out the rake until the end, so as not to diminish the potential pot bet?

I straddle $5 on button. SB first to act calls $5, BB folds with $2 in. I think there may have been one limp-fold in the field I missed in the post

So when it gets to me it is a raise to $25 as we round to the nearest 5. SB calls, Limper folds

Pot $55 on flop

Turn I bet $55, he calls. Now $165 in pot

Not me! Mine was just playing around with fifth-grade fractions. (I actually don't trust decimals - they're like "Fake Math". ) :cool

New to my vocabulary, particularly in the Deep South: "Fake Math".

Imbeciles legally can't contradict it, once you declared it's "fake". :cool

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom