My Journey As A Professional Poker Player (28 Viewers)

I forgot to add #7 - Don't say "obviously", ever. If it was obvious to me, I wouldn't be watching an instructional vlog. You don't have to treat me like a 4 year old, but also remember that your audience are not pros. What is obvious to you is not obvious to everyone. If it was, you couldn't be a pro.

7. Well, OBVIOUSLY I didn't intend to do this.......obviously

I don't intend to beg people to like, subscribe, comment and share. I get SO fricken annoyed by the constant reminder from people EVERY video. It's 2022, we fucking KNOW it helps the channel, we'll automatically do it if we FEEL like it, not because you happened to bring it up for the 200th fucking time
You say that now. But Rampage made a stupid amount of money from YouTube last year.

You say that now. But Rampage made a stupid amount of money from YouTube last year.

I'm not saying I'm against making stupid amounts of money posting the videos. Just that I'm not a fan of the begging for likes and all that. I don't think it's necessary in this day and age. People are going to engage if they like the content, not because you begged them to.

I'm not saying I'm against making stupid amounts of money posting the videos. Just that I'm not a fan of the begging for likes and all that. I don't think it's necessary in this day and age. People are going to engage if they like the content, not because you begged them to.
Unfortunately the way YouTube algorithm works you basically have to beg for likes and subscriptions so that your video gets pushed up to get more eyeballs.

Unfortunately the way YouTube algorithm works you basically have to beg for likes and subscriptions so that your video gets pushed up to get more eyeballs.

I don't really think that's true. I've never liked or subscribed because someone asked me to, I did it because I enjoyed the content. Content is king. If you produce good content, the likes and subscriptions will come, plain and simple.

I don't really think that's true. I've never liked or subscribed because someone asked me to, I did it because I enjoyed the content. Content is king. If you produce good content, the likes and subscriptions will come, plain and simple.
I couldn't agree more. Of the videos I subscribe to, most of them don't make the request - and it's not like I'm so young and hip. I'm old and forgetful. The reminder might not be an issue for me at the end, but many times I decide partway through the video to click and ring the bell, simply because I know I want more.

I've been on plenty of videos where I would have forgotten to like the video if I wasn't asked to. I'm just a sheep, maybe, but I imagine the practice is quite effective. There are a lot of sheep.

If you're going to be vlogging solely for a hobby, then who cares. But if you intend to make money from it someday, then I think you should absolutely be mentioning to like and subscribe in every video. There's a reason everyone does it.

I've been on plenty of videos where I would have forgotten to like the video if I wasn't asked to. I'm just a sheep, maybe, but I imagine the practice is quite effective. There are a lot of sheep.

If you're going to be vlogging solely for a hobby, then who cares. But if you intend to make money from it someday, then I think you should absolutely be mentioning to like and subscribe in every video. There's a reason everyone does it.
...just do it at the end. or even work it in somewhere around the "deep meat" of the video (I've seen it stuck in like a commercial break). But asking me to start clicking before I even know if you are worthy of being a regular part of my busy day is like asking a girl to marry you 30 seconds into a blind date.

I've continuing work on the VLOG. The vertical aspect of the table replays is a bit of a pain, but I think I've made it work. Still need to get my scripts together to go over hand histories and figure out the action pauses and all that, but it's coming together.

The updates here may lag a bit for it as I focus on creating the VLOGs, and some episodes may feature hands from multiple sessions rather than just one. Although as I get more organized I'll try to have dedicated session VLOGS so there's better continuity, which is a bit harder to do when pulling from multiple sessions.

I've continuing work on the VLOG. The vertical aspect of the table replays is a bit of a pain, but I think I've made it work. Still need to get my scripts together to go over hand histories and figure out the action pauses and all that, but it's coming together.

The updates here may lag a bit for it as I focus on creating the VLOGs, and some episodes may feature hands from multiple sessions rather than just one. Although as I get more organized I'll try to have dedicated session VLOGS so there's better continuity, which is a bit harder to do when pulling from multiple sessions.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hellotech.com/guide/for/how-to-rotate-a-video-on-iphone/amp

iMovie and Mac/PC sections

I have an Android phone and the pppoker software doesn't seem to have a landscape orientation

I could rotate the image in my editing software, but then all the cards and peoples portraits would be sideways
Try downloading the following apps and see if that helps:

Other Options​

While the easiest option to rotate photos is Google Photos, other apps can rotate videos. However, most of these apps include ads, require you to pay for their services, or have usability issues. Two top-rated video rotation apps are Rotate Video FX and Smart Video Rotate and Flip.

Try downloading the following apps and see if that helps:

Other Options​

While the easiest option to rotate photos is Google Photos, other apps can rotate videos. However, most of these apps include ads, require you to pay for their services, or have usability issues. Two top-rated video rotation apps are Rotate Video FX and Smart Video Rotate and Flip.

Without their software displaying it in landscape, it won't look right no matter what I use to rotate it, as the images are designed to display in portrait mode

So I either live with that and hope my audience doesn't mind, or find a HH replayer that works for PLO and manually enter all the hands (more time-consuming for me)

Without their software displaying it in landscape, it won't look right no matter what I use to rotate it, as the images are designed to display in portrait mode

So I either live with that and hope my audience doesn't mind, or find a HH replayer that works for PLO and manually enter all the hands (more time-consuming for me)
You can fill in the black bars with you stripping. Added bonus to the vlog!

What happened to the stacks of green chips and the multi-hundred dollar pots?

Vlogging online play is boring as hell. If you could do it live it has potential but online I’m just watching bits move around a screen. I’d rather just play Mrs. Pac Man.

Is this effectively a drop down in stakes for you? The game looks pretty small.

What happened to the stacks of green chips and the multi-hundred dollar pots?

Vlogging online play is boring as hell. If you could do it live it has potential but online I’m just watching bits move around a screen. I’d rather just play Mrs. Pac Man.

Is this effectively a drop down in stakes for you? The game looks pretty small.

I would rather film live sessions, but the local rooms don't permit filming.

Dnegs and Jeff Boski manage to make their online VLOGS watchable, so looks like I'll need to do a split screen or something.

There are 3/6, 5/10 and 10/20 games that run throughout the week in this club. A lot of times players buyin for the minimum to start the table, but as people stack up, others start rebuying deeper. I haven't seen it, but heard about a guy who dumped 75K in one night in the 10/20 game. I have seen someone up or down over 20K.

I haven't had that type of success yet, still learning the player pool, some of these guys don't care and will get stacks in bad, but even then they've still got some equity and can put the hurt on ya.

I vary my buyins, sometimes buying in small, sometimes the max buyin. Depends how I'm feeling, how the table makeup and stack depths look, etc.

With the right combination of players these games can be bigger than the ones I was playing live. Although I do like that they only have an optional UTG straddle and no unlimited restraddles where people are just playing preflop bingo constantly.

Still working on things, but came up with a test idea for an opening. The musical score used is a cover, rather than the original music, so I should be ok on the copyright claims side.

Feedback welcome!

I like it

Thank you, appreciate the feedback!

I've started making solid progress today as far as how I'll lay out the gameplay clips along with a side video of myself discussing the hands and concepts. Figured out in order to pause my videos so I can discuss my thought process preflop, flop, etc. I need to use my video editing softwares "freeze frame" feature to capture a still image, then put that into the timeline and push the video footage down the track so I can "pause" the action and discuss, then resume and so forth.

Today I'll be spending time creating individual clips of hands and the freeze frame images for them so I can tackle each one individually, then splice them together to create the first video. With any luck will be able to get my footage and voiceover work done and hopefully complete the first video to release this coming week!

Poker Jeezus approves

tenor.gif

That is spooky. That bedroom looks exactly like my apartment after college, when I was running the mean streets of Ultimate Bet and Full Tilt. o_O Seriously.

It's one of our spare bedrooms where I've setup my computer. I've got the bed in here so that if I come home from a late night poker session I don't wake Jenn up barging into the master bedroom. Or if I'm snoring loud enough to wake the dead she banishes me to this room too lol.

Congrats. Great job! I personally appreciate the level of commentary as I'm relatively new to PLO. Very informative and easy to understand as you walk through your thought process! Well done!

My only piece of feedback would be the viewing experience is not optimized for mobile. Makes it hard to see the cards your holding and the equity calculations. Regardless, I will be sure to tune in again!

Congrats. Great job! I personally appreciate the level of commentary as I'm relatively new to PLO. Very informative and easy to understand as you walk through your thought process! Well done!

My only piece of feedback would be the viewing experience is not optimized for mobile. Makes it hard to see the cards your holding and the equity calculations. Regardless, I will be sure to tune in again!

I've gotten feedback regarding the equity calculations being difficult to view on mobile from another viewer as well. I do try to mention the equity as well so that you don't need to see the calculator to know what the percentages are, but I can still understand how that might be off-putting since a lot of folks watch on their phones.

First I've heard about issues viewing my cards as well. I have a larger phone (Galaxy S21 Ultra) so not sure how it looks on other phones folks might be using. I do try mentioning the specific hand I hold as well to viewers, and already have the table display maxed out at normal size, unless I try to alter its dimensions and blow it up larger than the standard (although that might pixelate the graphic)

I'm surprised no comments on my initial opening. I really cracked up at the "are you tired of having a roof over your head?" line with the foreclosure gif playing.

I've gotten feedback regarding the equity calculations being difficult to view on mobile from another viewer as well. I do try to mention the equity as well so that you don't need to see the calculator to know what the percentages are, but I can still understand how that might be off-putting since a lot of folks watch on their phones.

First I've heard about issues viewing my cards as well. I have a larger phone (Galaxy S21 Ultra) so not sure how it looks on other phones folks might be using. I do try mentioning the specific hand I hold as well to viewers, and already have the table display maxed out at normal size, unless I try to alter its dimensions and blow it up larger than the standard (although that might pixelate the graphic)

I'm surprised no comments on my initial opening. I really cracked up at the "are you tired of having a roof over your head?" line with the foreclosure gif playing.
One suggestion is to make the equity site fullscreen for a few seconds while you talk about the hand equity.

I will say I REALLY enjoyed your commentary. Having played against you in person, you have a very loud personality and I didn't know how that would translate into a vlog but your tone and composure was absolutely top notch. Instant like and subscribe from me and not just because I know you and want you to succeed.

Keep it up, Mr. Martino.

One suggestion is to make the equity site fullscreen for a few seconds while you talk about the hand equity.

I will say I REALLY enjoyed your commentary. Having played against you in person, you have a very loud personality and I didn't know how that would translate into a vlog but your tone and composure was absolutely top notch. Instant like and subscribe from me and not just because I know you and want you to succeed.

Keep it up, Mr. Martino.

Wow man, right in the feels. I can almost forgive you for wearing a shirt supporting canadians a few years back at SQM..................almost :p

I would not say the mobile viewing experience is terrible or anything, actually far from it! I enjoyed the vlog, just wanted to share some feedback with you. I'm on a S10 so not tiny but not the biggest of screens either.

I think my comment about not being optimized for mobile has to do with the fact that about 1/3 of the screen is unused... even if the table was rotated 90 degrees that might optimize the space better? I shared a screen shot of what I'm talking about... Unfortunately I have no helpful solutions or advice...

Also, the intro was pretty hilarious... I'm already looking forward 100% to Episode #2.

Screenshot_20220306-190619_Firefox Beta.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom