Missing USPS International package off the radar (1 Viewer)

Eloe2000

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I have seen various threads on USPS issues but I have always had great experiences (other than a day or two delay or tracking errors) until now.

• September 12th: I shipped a MFRB from Miami to Australia.
  • September 24th: Tracking shows it arrived in NY
  • September 26th: "Departed - HONG KONG Your item departed from an intermediate transfer airport in HONG KONG INT'L, HONG KONG on September 26, 2020 at 4:51 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination."

That was the last update which was more than three weeks ago.

I have tried calling the USPS resolution number several times and after spending quite a long time navigating the call tree all I get to is an automated response that indicates I can "file a claim" online or at my local post office branch. All I really want is an update on where the package is. But I also know it is really out of their hands and in a foreign carrier's hands. I am somewhat hesitant to file a claim because I don't want them to just write off the package at this point.

Is anyone else experiencing extreme delays with international shipping because of Covid or otherwise? Should I just wait it out a bit longer? Anyone have any tips on dealing with USPS Int. issues?

Thanks in advance. - E

Wait a bit longer...it doesn't look good but I had up to 3-4 weeks of radio silence and scanned at delivery.
Kangeroo customs could be one of kind but any other customs I have dealt with consider a 3 week hold normal

@Perthmike what do you think ?

I've got one that has sat in NY since 30th September. It's certainly unusual, but I'm not going to get worried just yet.

Sorry to hear that man...part of the anxiety of shipping international unfortunately.

However in just the past couple of weeks, I've sent USPS packages to Sweden, UK and France and they all arrived within 5 days door to door.

Wait a bit longer...it doesn't look good but I had up to 3-4 weeks of radio silence and scanned at delivery.
Kangeroo customs could be one of kind but any other customs I have dealt with consider a 3 week hold normal

@Perthmike what do you think ?
This is what I am hoping. But every day it gets bleaker.

I presently have a package that was going to Hawaii that did the same thing. It was off radar for 10 days I think.

Popped back on in Gaum on Sat and left Guam, hopefully going to Hawaii yesterday.

I spoke with the Post Master at my local PO. He said that because of covid issues, they have had to, occasionally, shut down and decontaminate entire distribution centers. If you have a package there at the time. Delays.

He said its been a regular occurrence, and you need to be patient. Actually he said there was nothing that could be done until 30 days had passed.

I imagine the covid delays internationally could be worse.

Sorry to hear that man...part of the anxiety of shipping international unfortunately.

However in just the past couple of weeks, I've sent USPS packages to Sweden, UK and France and they all arrived within 5 days door to door.

samples or sets ?
that is insane...

I'd wait it out a bit, personally. I experienced such delays with multiple packages earlier in the year, a couple which took two months to arrive from the U.S. and also went off the radar for over a month before suddenly showing up in the Swiss postal system.

I know it sucks, but I wouldn't worry too much. I've never had a package shipped to me that didn't arrive. And i've been at this for a long time.

Especially with covid, something could have just happened to delay it

I had a package coming to me from Australia. Thing literally sat (seemingly) on the runway at the airport for nearly 2 months before the following update. It's a pain, but as others are saying, it definitely happens where radio silence for a few weeks/month(s) is not out of the ordinary.

Big kudo's for still shipping International brother
I know you were responding to @72o but I generally agree. I have plenty of friends overseas and I hear how bad it sucks for them trying to get stuff shipped. But its issues like this that deter people. What makes it a bit worse is that I was reshipping to help the recipient out. Only 2 of 6 racks in the MFRB were mine. So if its a loss it is even more than what I had sold. Not fun.

I mailed two packages to AUS (one LFRB and a PFRE) a couple of weeks ago. Both still showing as in Miami. Past shipments (pre-covid) usually took around 20 days to make the trip, although usually spent up to 10 days in AUS customs after they got there.

I mailed two packages to AUS (one LFRB and a PFRE) a couple of weeks ago. Both still showing as in Miami. Past shipments (pre-covid) usually took around 20 days to make the trip, although usually spent up to 10 days in AUS customs after they got there.
I am hoping it is in customs because I know that can take a long time. The last update was "left Hong Kong". Would anyone know generally they scan on incoming into customs or just on outgoing? I am hoping the latter which would mean they could be incustoms even though I don't see an "arrived in AUS" update.

I am hoping it is in customs because I know that can take a long time. The last update was "left Hong Kong". Would anyone know generally they scan on incoming into customs or just on outgoing? I am hoping the latter which would mean they could be incustoms even though I don't see an "arrived in AUS" update.
It typically does say "arrived at customs, processing pending" (or something similar) once it gets to Australia.

I send many international packages. Right now it is not uncommon to see a package sit in one spot for a whole month. It sucks. You never know if something will get there in two weeks or six weeks. Calling the USPS is a waste of time.

Thanks everyone. Seems like the general consensus is that not all hope is lost. We will wait this out a bit longer before getting too concerned. I will update here if it lands on the radar again.

Who are all these people ordering chips to Australia and why arent they coming via my place so I can have the momentary joy of seeing new chips even if its only for a few minutes.
Get a job at customs. You can play with the chips for a whole month, then ship them on their way. :rolleyes:

I would hold out some hope. I recently had a Priority Mail package take two weeks to get from Tennessee to Pennsylvania!!

Once it is in destination country, USPS no longer has control over the package. To see more updates you need to check Aussie's local postal service using the same tracking number.

Once it is in destination country, USPS no longer has control over the package. To see more updates you need to check Aussie's local postal service using the same tracking number.
That is correct, but until it shows on the usps end as having landed into Aussie customs, auspost won't have info either.

Definitely worth checking auspost though

FWIW the recipient did try doing this and they told them that the sender (me) needed to contact my post office.

It’s the first time I’ve seen such discrepancy between tracking systems. I don’t know where they are, but I don’t think Aussie customs have them yet.

BB6D00A7-41C1-4B82-9DEA-AE46C45F02F9.jpeg

Australia Post tracking
71940D88-EBD3-4DCE-A311-F4EBBDB28163.jpeg

USPS tracking.

They’ll show up eventually. Or they won’t. The first option is preferable.

For the record, @Eloe2000 is a great shipper and chipper. Have dealt with him in the past and will do so again. International shipping has inherent risk, and there’s always the option of insurance if I’d wanted it.

Like I said, they’ll show up.

More than a month for me, strangely I have a package from Japan which arrived in 3 days and another stuck on the road without tracking.
I think we can't know exactly where the packages are ...

Not easy.

One more vote for not giving up. Just got a first ping in a while from a package from the US that was supposed to be delivered in August. These are truly extraordinary times, and nothing can be predicted. But patience is required.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom