Metal Labels (2 Viewers)

twocees

Sitting Out
Supporter
Reaction score
Searched and didn't find an answer. I am looking to make some large chips into something like a challenge coin for work. I bought some blank royals from apache and thought it might be cool to do a fake metal insert. I was hoping to find a thin sticker that looks like metal (not just shiny) so it appears there is a coin embedded in the chip. Has anyone here made something like that or could guide me in the direction of a vendor?

@Colquhoun posted this a while back when I asked about faux coin inlays on Tina cards mold. Maybe you could do something similar.

IMG_5527.jpeg

That looks like what I'm after! Not sure who vendor would be or thickness needed though. Closest I have found so far is aluminum brushed stickers. But they aren't actually metal.
Tina Cards Mold chips are ceramic chip. The image is dye sublimation, so you could “print” anything you want on them. The image I sent was a very quick draft from @Colquhoun.

If you want metallic, I recommend the hybrid chips like the Greek mold, and the semi-gloss label.
The semi-gloss uses a vinyl base that has a metallic quality to it. When you print a light gray, it almost looks silver. It’s not shiny like chrome obviously, but it has a reflective quality that’s really beautiful.
A combination of the faux metal design like the Willie’s chip above, and the semi-gloss label will be the closest to a metal, I think.

What also may work is printing your design in gray on something like metallic Mylar. I don’t know if these exist, or who might print it, but I’ve seen printing on mylar before. May require a bit of trial and error to get the right effect though.

What also may work is printing your design in gray on something like metallic Mylar. I don’t know if these exist, or who might print it, but I’ve seen printing on mylar before. May require a bit of trial and error to get the right effect though.
What about that foil that you see on fancy invitations? I guess the embossing wouldn't stand up to any abuse.

Tina Cards Mold chips are ceramic chip. The image is dye sublimation, so you could “print” anything you want on them. The image I sent was a very quick draft from @Colquhoun.
Ah I see. I already bought some black chips from apache to try different things on. Thats the only blank they had left. How thick is the recess usually?

Would there be room for gold leaf in the background and then clear vinyl sticker with the logo/writing over top of that?

What about that foil that you see on fancy invitations? I guess the embossing wouldn't stand up to any abuse.
That's either foil stamp or a metallic thermography ink. While chips can be hotstamped, its an expensive process that you probably wouldn't want to persue even if they could be done on china clay chips.

That's either hotstamp or a metallic thermography ink. While chips can be hotstamped, its an expensive process that you probably wouldn't want to persue even if they could be done on china clay chips.
Ok that makes sense. I guess when they get here I will have some experimenting to do

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom