Member's mark 22 inch case, at Sam's Club. (2 Viewers)

Coat #2 applied.

15293702597526041771554987500375.jpg

I feel like I might be halfway through the can, which is good because the can says about 5-10 sq feet of coverage and I have to figure each layer is 2-3 sq feet.

Coat #4

IMG_20180618_210756142.jpg

Feel the can is slowing down, but I will try a coat five just to see if that kills it. Beyond 5 coats I imagine in the point of diminishing returns so I will call it good there and let it dry overnight.

Coat #5

IMG_20180618_213901202.jpg

So I am going to keep the garage open for a couple hours until bed and then I will let it dry overnight. Tomorrow I hope to have pictures of this loaded up.

So this is basically the finished product.

Took one Side-by-side before taking back the case I didn't end up using.

IMG_20180619_070852920.jpg

Loaded with Racks:

IMG_20180619_071930021.jpg

Loaded with boxes:

IMG_20180619_072504781.jpg

So that's the finished product. Thanks to those that followed me along.

Here are some final thoughts.

* I definitely lost a little space in the main rack well by applying 5 coats of plasti dip. As you can see the rack on the right is a little sideways. But don't worry I am switching from 70mm to 68mm racks figuring that will help me get the space back and it should be better for the chipcos and my smaller ABS sets. The 70mm racks I guess were from the 14g heavyweight ABS chips, like the Black Diamonds I used to own. (I'll be seeing if the guy that bought those wants a deal on my racks and old birdcage after all :).)

*The garage still smells, working from home this afternoon, left it wide open to air out.

*I'm not sure I picked the best adhesive, I almost (accidentally) separated the base layer form the lower pluck layer. But sitting in the case, it probably won't make a lot of difference.

*I don't have a scale, but I'm guessing I'm on about 40lbs fully loaded. But it looks like an acrylic bird cage is about 8lbs and this case is about 12lbs empty according to the label, so really we're just talking 4 extra pounds for this method regardless of the weight of the chips and racks used. That would be about a 10-12% difference if my estimate is right. But since I plan to solely use this for a travel case. I will be storing it empty on my shelves :).

So I think that's all the pictures I will post on this thread. I might do one more with the narrower racks when they get here. Thanks to everyone that followed and offered advice. I'm glad to have documented this for anyone interested in doing this going forward.

Thanks for the photos and writeup! (y) :thumbsup: Gonna do this with my Harbor Freight Apache 3800 cases.

My plastidip is on the way!!! :)

View attachment 182112

Excellent, for my money 5 coats was probably overkill, I didn't notice a ton of difference between coats 4 and 5. You're also doing a smaller surface area so one can should get you through at least 2 cases I would guess.

I am not lying about the smell, if you have good enough weather to do it outside I would do that instead of in the garage.

Hope to see pictures :).

So I think I can bring my project to a close. I received my order of 68mm racks and swapped then into the case. They fit my chipcos so much better. But in my 15 inch chip space in the case, it is still kind of tight. I am forcing the foam at the right a little to squeeze in the last racks.

Tight fit which good for transport I suppose, but can be tough for handling. Maybe I should've plucked one more row of squares?

IMG_20180624_165100626.jpg

I did weigh the case loaded as pictured and it came in just under 39 lbs. A little lower than expected, but I wouldn't want to carry something like this for too long. Hopefully wherever I would walk this would be less than 5 minutes :).

But I think that brings an end to my case experiment. Hope to see if anyone else has tries this. Please post your pictures.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom