Mariner Chip (1 Viewer)

jdub

Pair
Reaction score
You've seen my first attempt at a die-sub printed ceramic. I've done additional work filling out the range of denominations and picking out a color scheme.

Observe that I use the 554 denomination progression to eliminate 2X steps in chip denomination. This deletes the 2X step from 500 to 1000 and elsewhere.

Today I am actually requesting feedback, specifically on color selection. I've tried to avoid non-contrasting colors within a four denomination spread. I'm concerned about the purples being to close to the blacks. You'll see that I re-use colors, but they are far apart and so should not be on the table at the same time.

I try to use bog standard "Vegas" colors in the $1,5,25,100,500 range to avoid confusion for what most people are accustomed to. The only variation being that Navy Blue replaces black.

I plan to have progressive artwork for each denomination. For now, the submarine warfare insignia will serve as a placeholder for art. The hope is to use war time propaganda posters.

Some thoughts I have:
  • The yellow $2500 chip should have a contrasting color rope, perhaps white.
  • The $100 and $1M chip should have contrasting edges on the rope, perhaps grey rather than black.
  • That green $25 chip is ugly in print.
  • Gotta have a pink.
  • I might need an orange.
  • I like lime, but lime doesn't fit well with the darker colors I'm using here.
As a side note, I played at a room that had black and dark purple chips at T100 and T500 and caught a dealer error on counting up a dirty stack.

Based on input here, I am going to do a test run with the die-sub and my new heatpress. I don't have the poker chip attachment yet. Coming soon. I can do the faces though.

@grebe @Thomacetti @Seeking Alpha Social Club

Attachments

• examples.jpg
    examples.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
You have a really huge range of chips. What’s your plan for these?

I think color re-use is asking for trouble.

Here is my first batch of chips using a proper heat press.

Alignment is a problem, especially one $.25 chip. I might have a sheet metal shop laser cut me a jig for aligning the chips to the transfer print. Manually doing this with kapton tape is pants.

Evenness of color is a problem on all of them. The upper heated platen has a hard surface. I think I need a padded high temp silicon surface there to get more even pressure on the chips. The results are bad enough that using this test run as a color proof isn't even a thing.

The pink and the red make me sad.

The fineness/resolution of the transfer is actually much better than I thought it would be. It's not going to be quite so good as a direct print onto an inlay, but it's still pretty good.

I don't have the attachemnt for the rolling edge yet.

Attachments

• first print.jpg
    first print.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 50

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom