Managing Your Poker Night Invites and Responses (3 Viewers)

I got another idea for a feature that might be handy for people. I don’t have a set day to play, instead I ask the core players what dates would work best a week out two ahead of time and once I get enough commitments I’ll send the invite to the larger group.

Is there any way to incorporate a link to a poll through this to let people check off any of the proposed dates they can play?
Maybe change the response names from "In, maybe, likely" to the different dates they can update their status to? Or just use one of those email survey websites if you guys do so via email!

@Al Azouri - Once again thanks for creating this tool! I've been using it for my last 3-4 games and I absolutely love it. As mentioned I had issues with some people not getting texts, so I looked for another solution for that. It's not 100% built into this tool, but I found an extension for Google Voice that allows bulk texting with custom messages, Bulk Texter Lite. It's free (so far), and I only got it to work in Firefox. There's a good tutorial video to make it simple.

To get things flowing, I added another tab to the Sheets tool, and it's purpose is to create each player's custom message, including name/date/time/personal link, and I then just copy/paste those cells into the bulk texter in Voice and run the extension.

One thing I found with this is you can change the delay for each message in the extension, so I'm wondering if you can add that functionality to your messaging code and that might help with the occasional missed messages. Apparently Google uses some algorithm to stop spammers and whatever, and the longer the delay between messages the more likely they are to go through. I have it set to 45 seconds now and I think they're all getting through. For reference I'm sending about 15-20 per batch, so it takes about 10-15 minutes but it runs fine in the background. I'm sending out Saturday's reminders right now. Love it!

Just wanted to say thanks for putting the time in to build this, and making it available to everyone. Having built similar (but much less comprehensive & complete) programs on sheets, the hours that go into it are often under-appreciated.

I couldn't help myself to make an addition and thought I would share.

I have a few different game options that I host, so I added an option on the admin tab to select from my games available ($1/2 NL Hold'em, $1/2 ROE, $2/4 Limit Hold'em, etc.)

I use this information to adjust the Dashboard row B to show what game is taking place, and added a message body tag in sendAction() for [Game] by adding to the Variables tab Web Options and utilizing aOptions[7].

One other thing I might look into adding is a dsiabled or on hold guest. I have a few people on my invite list that don't always get the invite. It would be nice to be able to mark certain people to either show up or not show up on the full list, and also be able to mark specific people as on hold from receiving invites. I'd set these up so they were unaffected by the status reset.

@Al Azouri - Once again thanks for creating this tool! I've been using it for my last 3-4 games and I absolutely love it. As mentioned I had issues with some people not getting texts, so I looked for another solution for that. It's not 100% built into this tool, but I found an extension for Google Voice that allows bulk texting with custom messages, Bulk Texter Lite. It's free (so far), and I only got it to work in Firefox. There's a good tutorial video to make it simple.

To get things flowing, I added another tab to the Sheets tool, and it's purpose is to create each player's custom message, including name/date/time/personal link, and I then just copy/paste those cells into the bulk texter in Voice and run the extension.

One thing I found with this is you can change the delay for each message in the extension, so I'm wondering if you can add that functionality to your messaging code and that might help with the occasional missed messages. Apparently Google uses some algorithm to stop spammers and whatever, and the longer the delay between messages the more likely they are to go through. I have it set to 45 seconds now and I think they're all getting through. For reference I'm sending about 15-20 per batch, so it takes about 10-15 minutes but it runs fine in the background. I'm sending out Saturday's reminders right now. Love it!
I incorporated your delay suggestion in v3.4 just released. Head over to resources and have a look.

One other thing I might look into adding is a dsiabled or on hold guest. I have a few people on my invite list that don't always get the invite. It would be nice to be able to mark certain people to either show up or not show up on the full list, and also be able to mark specific people as on hold from receiving invites. I'd set these up so they were unaffected by the status reset.

Just caught this. I think it's a great idea. I will look into incorporating it in the next version.

Yes thanks to @Al Azouri for making this.
I can't be strong enough about how responsive he was to make new requests and debugging live.

For those with problematic SMS messages, in France we do not have your 01234567@myprovider.com available.
So i took a cheap SMS/text provider and it works fine thru email. Mine is smsfactor.com and it cost 60€ for 1,000 messages.
Fair enough for a reliable service.

Mmmm ... I set the "waitlist" to threshold 9. But my 10th registering is "in".
I also tried "threshold 10" with 11 players registering but no luck.
I had to manually put the 11th player "waitlist".
Tried to rebuild the dashboard too.

Any advice about what is needed to manage the waiting list automatically with setup/threshold ?

Let me check on that. Maybe it broke as a result of the changes in v3.4. What version are you seeing this in.
It is your latest version 3.4. And you still have access to my file :)
Thanks a lot.

PS : Just noticed that the README has 3.3 instead of 3.4

Hi,
I just tested with the Demo copy and your copy. I was unable to reproduce the issue. Can you give the the exact steps you took?

Did you know you can change to status names to French - or whatever you want them to be
Thanks a lot.
I tried on v3.3 but it broke things. But may be not directed related to this (I was experimenting few things back then).
I'll try again when i can and change text by editing the "status list" directly on guest tab.

If it works, i will propose some text for updating the doc.

Last edited:
I just tested with the Demo copy and your copy. I was unable to reproduce the issue. Can you give the the exact steps you took?
1 - Open a personal link. For example (Yann Vingte / Unknown)
2 - Change status to "In"
3 - 11 people has "In" status. Threshold is 10.

PS : I reverted my test after this.
PS 2 : Nursy is "waitlist" because it changed her status by hand

Capture d’écran 2023-06-13 à 18.10.59.png

Capture d’écran 2023-06-13 à 18.11.43.png

Capture d’écran 2023-06-13 à 18.12.27.png

Last edited:
1 - Open a personal link. For example (Yann Vingte / Unknown)
2 - Change status to "In"
3 - 11 people has "In" status. Threshold is 10.

PS : I reverted my test after this.
PS 2 : Nursy is "waitlist" because it changed her status by hand

View attachment 1150340

View attachment 1150343

View attachment 1150344
Ok, I found the bug.
It was behaving one way from the spreadsheet and a different way from the link.

I fixed it in the demo copy of v3.4

Also, I updated the code in the sheet you shared with me. All you have to do is deploy a new version. (Steps 15-18 in the ReadMe)

Last edited:
BTW
I’m working on v3.5 which has two major new features:

1. The guest list has a new column to let you make each guest active or inactive.

2. The message UI will be template driven. You’ll be able to define all of your message templates on one tab and use another tab to choose which template you want to use and send your message.

Last edited:
I fixed it in the demo copy of v3.4
Also, I updated the code in the sheet you shared with me. All you have to do is deploy a new version. (Steps 15-18 in the ReadMe)
Thanks a lot. Tried and it works OK ==> 11th goes to waitlist.

[EDIT] Removed the second part. Had to do all over the process, and seems to send again.

Thanks again for your wonderfull tool.

Last edited:
Mmmm ... without any web activity logged, one guy was moved to waitlist (9 in) even threshold is 10 ... around 13:00.
Do you have any sort of cron job doing something ? I can't see anything like this in the code

Mmmm ... without any web activity logged, one guy was moved to waitlist (9 in) even threshold is 10 ... around 13:00.
Do you have any sort of cron job doing something ? I can't see anything like this in the code
No,
The only thing that runs on a schedule is the timed send routine. And that wouldn’t do that.

Are you sure you deployed the new code? If you didn’t anything imitated from the web page would still be using the old code and my threshold calculation was off by one between sheet initiated actions and we initiated actions in the old code.

I updates your code to match the demo version but you have to deploy it for it to fully take effect.

I updates your code to match the demo version but you have to deploy it for it to fully take effect.
Yep. I re-deployed a second time now. We will see (but not before 1 month at least because this week is going to Vegas baby :cool)
Thanks for the help.

Yes. Confirmed.
To verify that deploy a new version works, I updated the version variable in code (to v3.4b2). Even rebuilt the dashboard.
When I use the link on phone ==> the 10th players goes to waitlist.

But do not worry, I'll deploy from scratch the latest version when i come back from holiday.

Last edited:
Yep. I re-deployed a second time now. We will see (but not before 1 month at least because this week is going to Vegas baby :cool)
Thanks for the help.
Have a great time in Vegas! I just got back from there Monday morning. Had a blast!

Stoked for the next version - I haven’t updated in quite a while but it’s still been working well for me. Grateful for this resource!

While we are at it, i suspect also that the "metrics" script doesn't run anymore too. Data shown in my metrics tab are quite "old" now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom