Line check: .10/.20 NLHE with AA (Mavens) (2 Viewers)

This is easy. It's windy crest. The villain had pocket 77 on the flop, and donk raised for pot control. Then the magic falls on the turn, giving him a set. Hook is set, and the river takes us to fantasy land with quads.

It happens every day. Do you guys even online poker??

This is easy. It's windy crest. The villain had pocket 77 on the flop, and donk raised for pot control. Then the magic falls on the turn, giving him a set. Hook is set, and the river takes us to fantasy land with quads.

It happens every day. Do you guys even online poker??
This for sure. Probably donked just to see "where he was at".

Ok, guess I've kept you waiting long enough:

Preflop
UTG limps.
Hero (UTG+1) raises to 0.70 with :as::ac:.
SB calls, UTG calls, all others fold.

Flop ($2.30) :jc::ts::4s:
SB checks.
UTG donks for 1.55.
Hero raises to 4.50.
SB folds.
UTG calls.

Turn ($11.30) :jc::ts::4s::7d:
UTG checks.
Hero bets 5.50.
UTG calls.

River ($22.30) :jc::ts::4s::7d::7c:
UTG checks.
Hero bets 14.00.
UTG raises all-in for 43.80.
Hero calls.
Villain shows :7s::9s: and takes the pot.

So my logic for calling was summarized best by @Kain8:
The villain's line to me makes NO sense at all. The flop was very draw heavy, same with the turn. You can re-open the betting on two streets with a flopped set and you decline both times? That's just madness that you're waiting until the river, of which you check AGAIN when you fill up hoping for ANOTHER bet from your opponent? That's way too many things to "go right" for a flopped set to get paid off the max.

All of the draws bricked and I'm not giving any consideration to a player limping UTG with any 89 or really any hand that contains a seven. They can't even have :as::7s:.

To the villain, having a good top pair here, like :ah::jh:, can easily be best since all the draws missed. He could even have queens or kings here and was waiting to see the coast was clear by having all the draws whiff.

The check-raise had me a little confused. I knew that 78, 79 and 89 were in his range, but discounted those hands (especially 89) based on the way the hand had played out up to this point. I'd seen him play aggressively for stacks with TP hands before, and all draws bricked the river. I think it's slightly possible that he could be bluffing a whiffed draw here, but based on what I'd seen so far I discounted that also.

So I felt like the majority of his range was still Jx, and I called.

(Minor edit for his connector range.)

Alright, betting high like that flopping the gutter and draw makes some sense. Calling with the draw still intact and getting third pair on the turn keeps villain in. Gross runout for you @Schmendr1ck . Can't say I'd have played it differently outside of maybe folding the check/raise.

Got it... makes sense. Semi-bluff on the flop and then gets really lucky. Wouldn’t you have loved for just a third spade to hit!

tough one for sure. Thanks for sharing this one. Very entertaining.

Bummer. In hindsight maybe larger raises when you were ahead gets a fold. That would be my only criticism.

Does seem like an opportune time to check back the river. I get putting him on a Jack but I know I would seriously consider NOT calling a river bet with one after all the aggression displayed so far. I feel you really only get called by a hand that beats you (or xraised!).

I also play with a lot of guys that play like a gut shot with a FD is DANUTZ! As stated above larger bet sizes might of worked. I get caught quite often with my guys for the same mistake (lucky b@$^#ds). ;):mad::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

All in all I feel pretty comfortable with how I played this, apart from maybe sizing up my flop and turn bets a bit.
Does seem like an opportune time to check back the river.
Honestly, I did think about it briefly, and it probably would have been the lower variance route. But I was stuck a bit, and I felt pretty confident that I was ahead of most of his range, so I took the high risk high reward option.

Preflop
UTG limps.

SB checks.
UTG donks for 1.55.
Hero raises to 4.50.
SB folds.
UTG calls.

UTG checks.
Hero bets 5.50.
UTG calls.

UTG checks.
Hero bets 14.00.
Hero calls.

The check-raise had me a little confused. I knew that 78, 79 and 89 were in his range, but discounted those hands (especially 89) based on the way the hand had played out up to this point. I'd seen him play aggressively for stacks with TP hands before, and all draws bricked the river. I think it's slightly possible that he could be bluffing a whiffed draw here, but based on what I'd seen so far I discounted that also.

Holy crap, I almost called the hand! And with a few beers in him, Craig's just about the same as Sicko!

Oh, it’s Sicko? He obviously has 9s7h, and put in money on the flop because he had a gutter and backdoor spades. Surprised he didn’t check/raise the turn.

This is why I like the bigger bet on the turn. If my spidey senses are tingling, I still feel like I built a reasonable size pot and can wuss out and check the river.

Preflop
UTG limps.

SB checks.
UTG donks for 1.55.
Hero raises to 4.50.
SB folds.
UTG calls.

UTG checks.
Hero bets 5.50.
UTG calls.

UTG checks.
Hero bets 14.00.
Hero calls.

Knew it. Some variation on 7x of spades fit his line better than any other hand.

I actually recoiled in disgust and my wife saw me and asked what was wrong :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:. So knowing UTG, do you think a pot sized bet after the turn would have made him fold? Or would he have paid to see the river anyway? Tough hand.

Last edited:
Let's rate villain's play:

UTG, he limps with 97s then calls a raise. Bad position, speculative hand = dubious play mostly due to weak position.

Flop, villain flops a flush draw plus a dummy end gut shot. Villain makes 2/3 pot semi bluff and then calls Hero's raise. That seems pretty reasonable. Villain has something just under 50% equity unless Hero has a superior flush draw.

Turn, villain now has a pair + flush draw + gut shot. Hero bets less than 1/2 pot and villain calls. If anything the call seems a bit weak. Villain has a drawing monster, ~ 16 to 17 outs vs an over pair, ahead vs most flush draws. The lack of aggression by villain on the flop & turn is notable. Villain got a cheap price to try his draw. But even a full pot sized bet isn't enough to price out the monster combo draw.

River, villain makes trip sevens and sets a trap for Hero. Hero sets foot in trap and gets his leg snapped off. PAID IN FULL.

Aside from the questionable preflop limp, the play looked ok to me. Maybe too passive, but others would take that check/call line. More so if Hero is seen as hard to bluff.

Looks pretty ok to me. Good job villain -=- DrStrange

Let's rate villain's play:

UTG, he limps with 97s then calls a raise. Bad position, speculative hand = dubious play mostly due to weak position.

Flop, villain flops a flush draw plus a dummy end gut shot. Villain makes 2/3 pot semi bluff and then calls Hero's raise. That seems pretty reasonable. Villain has something just under 50% equity unless Hero has a superior flush draw.

Turn, villain now has a pair + flush draw + gut shot. Hero bets less than 1/2 pot and villain calls. If anything the call seems a bit weak. Villain has a drawing monster, ~ 16 to 17 outs vs an over pair, ahead vs most flush draws. The lack of aggression by villain on the flop & turn is notable. Villain got a cheap price to try his draw. But even a full pot sized bet isn't enough to price out the monster combo draw.

River, villain makes trip sevens and sets a trap for Hero. Hero sets foot in trap and gets his leg snapped off. PAID IN FULL.

Aside from the questionable preflop limp, the play looked ok to me. Maybe too passive, but others would take that check/call line. More so if Hero is seen as hard to bluff.

Looks pretty ok to me. Good job villain -=- DrStrange
Based on this evaluation, I’m taking credit. @DrStrange approved this play! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I actually recoiled in disgust and my wife saw me and asked what was wrong :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:. So knowing UTG, do you think a pot sized bet after the turn would have made him fold? Or would he have paid to see the river anyway? Tough hand.
Hard to say. Like I said, I don't have a lot of time at the table against him, and he had a bajillion outs against my somewhat cards-on-the-table overpair.

But at the time, I felt I was ahead and didn't want him to fold.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom