Limit Poker - Gauging interest with your crew (1 Viewer)

Would/do you use dice chips to test the Limit waters with your crew?

• Yes, and I still do, but don't tell anyone.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Phantom

Full House
Reaction score
Asking for a friend.

If your crew is used to NL Holdem, PL Omaha and a smattering of PL Scrotum, and you would like to try Limit games; Big-O, Scrotum 8, SOHE etc ..., but you don't have a 1,000 chip Limit set, and don't want to buy one just in case they all hate Limit, is it okay to use, um, er, hundreds of dice chips to see if we like Limit? Simply as a matter of convenience, as it were.

Assuming everyone loves Limit in the end for these types of games, then a proper Limit set would be desirable, and the dice chips would then be cast into the pits of hell.

You lost me at dice chips :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

But I do love limit mixed games. I think that you could experiment with your crew playing limit with a normal cash set. Something like $5/10 limit with $1s and $5s in play could work for a session to gauge interest. High stakes limit mixed games like in Bobby’s room run and Dolly’s game on PokerGO run with multiple standard denominations in play.

My friend wants to get that "heaps o'chips on the table" vibe though. He says it is 50c/$1, so essentially, a stack of quarters and a stack of $1 if using cash chip denoms.

I have played limit home games with $1 & $5’s for years with no issues. Is it ideal, no. But it works. and I’d rather have less good chips than a mountain of slippery dice chips
How many chips per person would you start with?

I guess my friend has been influenced by the mega limit sets on PCF ;-)

How many chips per person would you start with?

I guess my friend has been influenced by the mega limit sets on PCF ;-)
Get as many as you can in play. I’d want at least a barrel of blinds chips and 2-3 of workhorse chips

I think there was a faux xlay chip in the classfields. Maybe still available. Or +1 to get super diamonds.

I think there was a faux xlay chip in the classfields. Maybe still available. Or +1 to get super diamonds.
Could this be the ad?
Faux Clay
1000 white
140 black
$100 plus shipping
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/cascade-lane-big-set-many-bud-jones-sherwood-t-set-faux-clays.69035/

This would be a good answer, just to try it. Or otherwise, get super diamonds like others have said.

Even the cheap plastic ones stack pretty well and can be found for $6-8/rack.

Good luck.

What's your total number of chips? If you have 1,000+ total chips, you could just use your normal chip set, only say from the outset that all chips have equal value. If you want to play a $2/$4 game, every chip on the table is worth $1, so people are just putting out 2 or 4 chips, depending on the betting round. People will adjust pretty quickly, you'll find.

Many of us have multiple limit sets and then only for the prospect of playing a limit night. Lol. The possibility of a limit night is more than enough excuse to buy more chips.

but if that is not your path by all means play away. Your players will resist and then Discover it is lots of fun.

If everyone is buying in for $25, give everyone a rack of chips, regardless of denomination. Make every chip worth 25 cents. If you have enough total chips, the color/denomination doesn’t matter in limit if they’re all worth the same amount.

I do have a big limit set for sale ;)
AE879BE6-C62D-4D08-8E68-1FE35DBFABFA.jpeg

If everyone is buying in for $25, give everyone a rack of chips, regardless of denomination. Make every chip worth 25 cents. If you have enough total chips, the color/denomination doesn’t matter in limit if they’re all worth the same amount.
That's the idea with this one!
20210206_111537.jpg

Eventually hoping to get to 1,400 quarters for a $.75/$1.50 limit set, grab a rack for $25 or 2 for $50, all of the chips are $.25 andthen plan to design a $5 and $20 value plaque.

As far as your question Adam... lots of these guys still play slugged and dice chip sets. If you just want to try it out and have no idea if players will enjoy it... like @grebe said man. Use tooth picks, dice chips, actual quarters. Who cares of is for testing the waters man!

Do you want to make a couple thousand dollar investment just to find out no one likes it and they sit on the shelf and collect dust?

I have wanted to pull the trigger on @Rhodeman77 limit set shown above about 50 times in the last couple of weeks, Brie and I love the MG and Riverboat BCCs... but I like a 2 chip or more structure and can't ever see us playing $4/$8 we can cover $2/$4 with this one and most around here don't play limit much, so try it out with the group and see how it goes brother!!
20210109_112244.jpg

(And yes we plan to murder the hundos into $20 value chip)

Another tip about introducing Limit to NL players is to start with basic Hold’em. The fixed limit structure may take getting used to. If you throw in a bunch of crazy games with new rules, it can get distracting. Get them comfortable with the fixed limit betting structure first. Later you can start adding new games.

Another tip about introducing Limit to NL players is to start with basic Hold’em. The fixed limit structure may take getting used to. If you throw in a bunch of crazy games with new rules, it can get distracting. Get them comfortable with the fixed limit betting structure first. Later you can start adding new games.
That's the idea with this one!
View attachment 644948
Eventually hoping to get to 1,400 quarters for a $.75/$1.50 limit set, grab a rack for $25 or 2 for $50, all of the chips are $.25 andthen plan to design a $5 and $20 value plaque.

As far as your question Adam... lots of these guys still play slugged and dice chip sets. If you just want to try it out and have no idea if players will enjoy it... like @grebe said man. Use tooth picks, dice chips, actual quarters. Who cares of is for testing the waters man!

Do you want to make a couple thousand dollar investment just to find out no one likes it and they sit on the shelf and collect dust?

I have wanted to pull the trigger on @Rhodeman77 limit set shown above about 50 times in the last couple of weeks, Brie and I love the MG and Riverboat BCCs... but I like a 2 chip or more structure and can't ever see us playing $4/$8 we can cover $2/$4 with this one and most around here don't play limit much, so try it out with the group and see how it goes brother!!
View attachment 644953
(And yes we plan to murder the hundos into $20 value chip)
Beautiful set!

Asking for a friend.

If your crew is used to NL Holdem, PL Omaha and a smattering of PL Scrotum, and you would like to try Limit games; Big-O, Scrotum 8, SOHE etc ..., but you don't have a 1,000 chip Limit set, and don't want to buy one just in case they all hate Limit, is it okay to use, um, er, hundreds of dice chips to see if we like Limit? Simply as a matter of convenience, as it were.

Assuming everyone loves Limit in the end for these types of games, then a proper Limit set would be desirable, and the dice chips would then be cast into the pits of hell.
You don't need a 1000 of your workhorse to play limit. Many here prefer it, but it's not necessary. I used to host limit games, first $0.25/$0.50, later up to $0.50/$1, and we would three color with 5c, 25c, and $1, usually done 25/35/5 or 25/35/20. Felt natural enough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom