Gauging interest - Basic tables (4 Viewers)

Which style would you buy?

• Total voters
Doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. Very passable for something on the cheaper side.

Each piece is bolted down with 2 connector bolts underneath. I need to shave off a sliver off of each rail piece because with the vinyl between the pieces the bolts aren't lining up quite as nice as I'd like them to. Even though it's only 1 layer of vinyl, it's adding up around the table with 16 layers.

I'm going to add some foam and felt, edge band the base sheet and throw some legs on it. Possibly even go leg-less if anyone wants to add their own legs like Gorilla legs.

PXL_20231023_221321899_1024x576.jpg
PXL_20231023_221329653_1024x576.jpg
PXL_20231023_221338281_1024x576.jpg
PXL_20231023_221402969_432x768.jpg

Doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. Very passable for something on the cheaper side.

Each piece is bolted down with 2 connector bolts underneath. I need to shave off a sliver off of each rail piece because with the vinyl between the pieces the bolts aren't lining up quite as nice as I'd like them to. Even though it's only 1 layer of vinyl, it's adding up around the table with 16 layers.

I'm going to add some foam and felt, edge band the base sheet and throw some legs on it. Possibly even go leg-less if anyone wants to add their own legs like Gorilla legs.

View attachment 1214130View attachment 1214131View attachment 1214132View attachment 1214133
It has a style to it. Very nice. Can't quite put my finger on it. Something like an old school upholstery. I dig it.

So, when are you taking orders? The table looks great.

This is the 84"x42" size. I plan on building this along side the custom orders.

I'll have all of the details up soon. I believe I'll have these for sale as tables with folding legs, and as toppers with no legs for slightly cheaper so that you can use it as a topper or add your own legs. Now is the fun part, trying to figure out a way to ship them economically. I don't want to build custom crates like we do with our custom tables since the crates weigh as much or more than the table. Cardboard is too flimsy, but it's very light. Need to find a middle-ground.

This is the 84"x42" size. I plan on building this along side the custom orders.

I'll have all of the details up soon. I believe I'll have these for sale as tables with folding legs, and as toppers with no legs for slightly cheaper so that you can use it as a topper or add your own legs. Now is the fun part, trying to figure out a way to ship them economically. I don't want to build custom crates like we do with our custom tables since the crates weigh as much or more than the table. Cardboard is too flimsy, but it's very light. Need to find a middle-ground.
Do a combo of Styrofoam and wood inside the cardboard box. Tape the box all around so it doesn’t tear. The Styrofoam keeps the wood in place and the wood peices make the whole thing rigid. You would need flat peices of foam on the playing surface to keep the wood from pressing to hard on the rails. This can be done on both sides. Use Styrofoam around the edge for protection. Just a thought.

Attachments

• Notes_231024_131645.jpg
    Notes_231024_131645.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 57
Have you thought about just selling these completed rail pieces for specific table sizes? For DIYers it seems like the rail is the most difficult part. Make it a package deal that includes a custom cloth, rail pieces and hardware, cupholders, etc. Could probably fit all that in a larger box for easier shipping. I would definitely consider this if I was building a table! Would save the DIYer a whole bunch of work, materials, and hassle building and upholstering a rail.

Thanks for the suggestion @wickedwonka121. The styrofoam might not be rigid enough unless I get really high density stuff. The table weighs around 60 lbs so if it's dropped it'll just break all of the foam. Fortunately, the rail is natural padding for the table so it's probably not needed on the rail side. The bottom of the table should only need some cardboard, maybe some leftover rail and/or playing surface foam for padding.

My thought is to use 3/8" plywood for the faces, then use wigglewood around the side and then staple it all together. Then wrap the whole thing in 2-3 layers of pallet wrap plastic. The table in the crate would be wrapped too.

We can CNC the faces to be oval to match the poker table to reduce as much weight as possible. I can even cut out handles into the face sheets so that you can carry the "box" easier.

@pluto You're absolutely right that it could make it a lot easier for people to DIY their own budget table where they only need to cut out the base sheet. That's certainly something I will keep in mind.

Have you thought about just selling these completed rail pieces for specific table sizes? For DIYers it seems like the rail is the most difficult part. Make it a package deal that includes a custom cloth, rail pieces and hardware, cupholders, etc. Could probably fit all that in a larger box for easier shipping. I would definitely consider this if I was building a table! Would save the DIYer a whole bunch of work, materials, and hassle building and upholstering a rail.
I feel like I would buy these peices. Very cool idea.

That solves your extra Vinyl/Foam problem and economically cheaper for shipping. Do it Tony, so your focus is to get all custom orders out by Christmas. And I'm not saying this because I just drop my deposit so I'm last on your list #Selfish

Last edited:
Pretty solid idea. I'd maybe be in for a DIY kit like that too.

Would sectioned round be a possible option?

Adding foam would add a lot more to the shipping cost since it can't be folded and compressed. Probably rail, cups, felt, legs, kickstands is what I would offer.

Yeah, round should be fine too as long as I can get them to fit the vinyl offcuts. So I couldn't do quarters of a round, but could do sixths or eigths.

Yeah, round should be fine too as long as I can get them to fit the vinyl offcuts. So I couldn't do quarters of a round, but could do sixths or eigths.
Sweet. Watching closely. Pick up a sheet of 5x5 and go.

I can't believe I missed this until now. Very Cool!!! A few questions:
  • regarding the first four poll options - are 1 & 2 only for outside of NA? Or for local pickup?
  • Any chance of getting a 60" round? I don't care for octagons for those times when there are less than 8 players and we want to spread out evenly.
  • Even though these are basic, can we still add on a custom felt?
  • What kind of folding legs will you use? Will the table still be really stable?
  • The 84" prototype has 8 rail sections. I assume the 96" will have 10, correct?
Sorry if any of these are answered in the thread and I missed them. I was too excited to read everything in great detail. My only question is do I want one of these, or one with all the bells and whistles. A nice table is something that's going to be on my wish list within the next 6 months.

Options 1 & 2 are for just the cost of the table, then the buyer pays actual shipping costs. Option 3&4 are to see if anyone's interested in a flat rate shipping price, though the results show they aren't as popular.

Yes, a round is do-able.

Yes, I rarely ever build any tables without a custom felt.

I use relatively inexpensive folding legs. They aren't as sturdy as Gorilla legs, but they're economical and are strong enough to make the table useful without a ton of wobble. I use the same legs on our rental tables and have been for years without any complaints.

Yes, the 10 seat tables would have 10 sections.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom