Let the Birds Die or Kill the Cat? (13 Viewers)

Let the Birds Die or Kill the Cat?

• Spare the furball

Votes: 46 69.7%
  • Save the songbirds, kill the furball

Votes: 20 30.3%

• Total voters
There’s a couple things you might consider

in some places - like where I live - because of bears mainly it’s prohibited to feed the wildlife. Day feeders are ok but you are expected to take everything in at night. Make sure it’s ok to be doing what you are doing by feeding wild animals.
Single neighbor guy might be someone who might own a pellet gun, and take the killing of your wildlife to a whole new level in a dispute.
Prey animals breed by the millions just because of these kinds of things. They are willing to trade a potentially shortened life span for a rich food source that enables them to have more offspring in a shorter time

lol I’m guessing you caught the same skunk twice. That’s a bad day. We’re you able to release it without getting sprayed. Maybe a better question is how many times did it spray you?

It was two different ones. I used a tree trimming pole to position plastic over the cage. You could hear the spray hitting the plastic. I waited about 15 mins to let it chill out and for the smell to dissipate some. I lined my truck bed with plastic and just carried the cage with the plastic on it. I think the spray tank was empty as it wasn't spraying while I carried the cage to the truck. The 2nd one acted like to was going to spray but never did. Maybe too young. Releasing them was tricky but I was able to avoid getting sprayed. I relocated both skunks and the cat in the same area about 15 miles away.

This is 9 years :wtf: of law school talking, but it doesn’t matter how cute the pet is, whether it saved Timmy from falling down the well, or if it was Lassie or Old Yeller—killing a pet isn’t murder, it is destruction of property. ;)

But I agree—talk to the owner. Get a bell collar. Other mitigation attempts. Killing someone’s pet in this circumstance is absolutely wrong.

Going forward, I am going to take pictures of the neighbor's cat on my property and any bird remains that I find around my feeder.

Killing songbirds is a Class E crime in Maine. Violators can be fined up to a $1000 and face up to 180 days in jail. My neighbor's felonious feline may need your services.

636567966794913643-636293373145198404-050217pitbull.jpg

There is a (possibly feral) cat in my neighborhood that has been able to evade the coyotes in the nearby golf course for several years. Cats are coy and slippery when necessary. My neighbor's chickens didn't last as long against the coyotes as this cat has.

It pisses on my car and my BBQ grill. I don't want to kill it... I want to catch it an pee on it, just to give it a taste of it's own medicine.

On topic, truly this is a case of a poor neighbor. A proper cat owner wouldn't let it out to roam freely as has been discussed before. It sounds like you have a plan in place to talk to your neighbor. Hopefully this can be resolved in a way that lets you start enjoying the wildlife again.

Here is the coolest cat to ever live, pretty sure.

A4CB8DD9-41E2-4D21-BCB0-9340A1EC3546.jpeg

And here is what we found when she had an X-ray late in life....two bullets imbedded inside her that she lived with most of her life. She never liked being scratched at the base of the tail like most other cats do...no wonder why, after seeing this!!

A67E95BC-5223-452F-B1AD-C91B30E4814A.jpeg
FB7A6B74-2C76-46F2-A7B1-82D3ACBA4677.jpeg

If you could do this to someone’s pet, please respond so I can add you to my personal asshat list. I don’t like you, based on this fact alone. I honestly don’t need to know anything more about you.

View attachment 686247

And here is what we found when she had an X-ray late in life....two bullets imbedded inside her that she lived with most of her life. She never liked being scratched at the base of the tail like most other cats do...no wonder why, after seeing this!!

View attachment 686248View attachment 686249

If you could do this to someone’s pet, please respond so I can add you to my personal asshat list. I don’t like you, based on this fact alone. I honestly don’t need to know anything more about you.
yeah, i can’t believe this thread is something that exists on a poker chip forum. seems more like an insane 8chan post to me.

View attachment 686247

View attachment 686248View attachment 686249

If I wanted to kill the cat, I would have done so without starting this thread. Easy-peasy. Believe me. The whole point was to gather feedback on how to address the situation. I felt a sense of urgency after finding the remains of a half a dozen songbirds in the lilac bushes and around the feeders.

I am sorry about your cat. We have all lost pets, it sucks. On the other side of the coin, my life is too busy for me to give the kind of attention I think a dog, my choice for a pet, deserves. Songbirds, squirrels and chipmunks are different. I put out the feeders and ground-seed between 6:00 and 6:30AM, then scatter more birdseed around the feeders at 11:00AM. They are happy, I am happy. I get to enjoy them at my leisure when I am home.

A few members have chosen to blow this out of proportion based on the title. Yeah, it may have been inflammatory, but it proved invaluable in the advice contained in some members posts.

And I am going to push back here. Cats, like birds, can survive without us. We chose to bring these animals into our lives because of the pleasure they bring us. I have spent a fair amount of time trying to be a better, more thoughtful steward of the wildlife on my property. I have cultivated that relationship over the course of 42 months. It is heedless for anyone to say "tough beans, live with it." "The cat owner has prerogative in allowing his cat to go outside and follow its instincts willy-nilly."

I have benefited from reading the viewpoints of others. How about you?

Last edited:
yeah, i can’t believe this thread is something that exists on a poker chip forum. seems more like an insane 8chan post to me.

It's in off topic. So I think it's fine.

Discourse has value - even topics that we may individually find distasteful. It's easy enough not to click on a thread and just move on.

Many people came up with nonviolent ways to handle the matter. Which is a good thing. Since the OP was considering killing the cat and has been dissuaded.

outdoor cats really are the worlds most invasive species.. they also have an incredibly shorter lifespan versus an indoor cat.

I think your problem will go away by itself.

I had issues with deer in my yard killing my plants in Wisconsin. I bought a motion sensing device that connects to the hose. when it senses motion it sprays water. The deer never came back. i’m not sure if this is the answer to your problems, gl.

It's in off topic. So I think it's fine.

Discourse has value - even topics that we may individually find distasteful. It's easy enough not to click on a thread and just move on.

Many people came up with nonviolent ways to handle the matter. Which is a good thing. Since the OP was considering killing the cat and has been dissuaded.
This is both correct and completely missing the point.

Return the cat to the owner in a pet cage (assuming it isn't attacking humans). Better to send the message in a proper way.

The other scenario is you leaving in a human cage, and you'll most likely be treated as an actual animal when locked up.

P.S. the fact you narrowed down the owner being a "single male", you should be the most worried for your safety if this was to ever get back to him.

iu

Maybe read it again. The point is not that it’s unacceptable. Just why here.

Maybe read it again. The point is not that it’s unacceptable. Just why here.
No need. I guess my English comprehension is fine. Maybe reread my post.

Maybe we have different interpretations on what 'off topic' means.

This is true, but there will be criminal penalties for killing somebody’s cat, beyond the destruction of property issues. Depending on jurisdiction, of course.
Actually if you killed someone’s cat you would be looking over your shoulder a lot. If you killed one of my kitties, the criminal penalty would be the least of your problems.

Actually if you killed someone’s cat you would be looking over your shoulder a lot. If you killed one of my kitties, the criminal penalty would be the least of your problems.

Spare me the pitchforks and torches.

The cat is crossing the road to get to my property. He or she has to cross the road to get home. Put the cat owners behavior into perspective. Chances are his cat is not neutered or spayed. Cats breed. Thousands of stray cats are euthanized every year at the Humane Shelter where I worked as a volunteer. Do a little research and you will find cats pose a real threat to songbirds. Songbirds pollinate plants, spread seeds and control insects. Chipmunks are mousers.

Cat owners are not special. They don't get a free pass on accountability, no matter what they believe, especially considering the destructive nature of cats. I wouldn't let my dog, if I had one, have the freedom to go terrorize or kill my neighbor's cat.

Secondly, my neighbor is not paying my property taxes. As long as I continue to live here, cats without bells are not welcome. If that is too much to ask of him, then there are other options besides killing the cat. Once those options are thoroughly exhausted due to a complete lack of consideration, then the onus is not on me if the ending is not a happy one for him or I.

You worked at a Humane Shelter, and even posed the question of shooting a cat? Jesus. WTF is wrong with you?

The windows in my house probably take out as many birds as your predatory cat, I find several dead birds on my deck each month after their suicide bomber missions.

Set up a damn motion sprinkler to scare off the cat. Jesus.

I'll see myself out. Spare me the PMs....<ignore>

Mel, I love cats. I must -- I took weekly allergy shots for 18 years just to have one small orange tabby.

But your idea of a "pet" that's allowed to roam freely is unreasonable, IMO.

BTW, I'm thinking of buying the land next to your cabin and moving in with my pet wolverine. Hope you and your kitty don't mind...
:cool

Mel, I love cats. I must -- I took weekly allergy shots for 18 years just to have one small orange tabby.

But your idea of a "pet" that's allowed to roam freely is unreasonable, IMO.

BTW, I'm thinking of buying the land next to your cabin and moving in with my pet wolverine. Hope you and your kitty don't mind...
:cool

First, there is no land available to buy next to my cabin, sorry. I suppose if you throw around ww money, you could make one of my neighbors move. But most of the land around me is national forest, not for sale.

Second, go for it, bring your wolverine. We already have bears, cougars, and coyotes. EVERY DAMN DAY. PLENTY of natural predators waiting to kill my dogs (my current cats are indoor only).

There is a VERY big difference between a natural predator, and a neighbor shooting your pet. VERY FUCKING BIG.

Was going to stay away from this one but.. @FordPickup92 and I maintain 14 bird feeders at our home in the woods year round. We absolutely love the birds always have, but we have squirrel problems like most others do and our 22 cal rifle lives next to the front door ready to go! We killed about 30 last year and the ones that the dog doesn't have to finish off we do eat. I was raised to eat what you kill and it is strongly engrained in me. Now when the dog finishes them off it is not a pretty picture he is an 80 Pit Bull killing machine.

All of this is beside the point but it seems slightly hypocritical of me to comment when the squirrels are not killing the birds, just eating our expensive bird food! But again we eat what we can of them.

There is no way I would ever consider killing someone's pet! The moment I noticed the problem I would have been at their door telling them to do something about it and that their pet is not welcome on your property and if it continues their pet will be captured and taken to the pound! the next time I would call the humane society and open a case against them. The third day the cage is coming out and the cat is going to the pound, again telling them who's cat it is and their address, again escalating the case. There has to be something you can do legally atthis point but what do I know!

The redneck second chance would be It happened again I would buy a 5 pound bucket of Tannerite (if legal in your area) place it next to the bird feeder with a sign pointing at that neighbors home saying "explosive cat nip! Keep away!" The next time you see that cat there... shoot that bucket, patch the 3 ft deep hole in the yard, buy a new Bush and a new bird feeder and go back to drinking coffee! Lol

So, to summarize, "eat the cat"? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

So, to summarize, "eat the cat"? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Basically when I was growing up there was a kid in the neighborhood that was given a BB gun. He was deadly with the thing, but he would kill birds for something to do, we were about 6 years old. He let me try one time and I was so proud I shot a bird... I came home and told my dad and he beat my ass I mean something bad!! That was the day I was told it is ok to hunt but if you plan to take some things life it should only be done if you plan to eat your kill... some lesson are hard to forget when I couldn't sit down for 3 days!

So yes... as long as you eat the cat then I guess it is ok! But the cat is someone's pet and i don't think that counts! A wild cat I guess is fair game though! Lmao

First, there is no land available to buy next to my cabin, sorry. I suppose if you throw around ww money, you could make one of my neighbors move. But most of the land around me is national forest, not for sale.

Second, go for it, bring your wolverine. We already have bears, cougars, and coyotes. EVERY DAMN DAY. PLENTY of natural predators waiting to kill my dogs (my current cats are indoor only).

There is a VERY big difference between a natural predator, and a neighbor shooting your pet. VERY FUCKING BIG.

PM me if you run into any difficulties adding me to your ignore list Mel, and I will walk you through it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom