Let the Birds Die or Kill the Cat? (1 Viewer)

Let the Birds Die or Kill the Cat?

• Spare the furball

Votes: 46 69.7%
  • Save the songbirds, kill the furball

Votes: 20 30.3%

• Total voters
Trapping and relocating the cat and drawing the curtains on him or her are off the table.

Hopefully, the owner will treat me with the same level of respect that I would him if the roles were reversed. I am going to talk to him on Monday.

Ingenious solution @Rieguy. Thank you

Thanks for giving it a try. I like all animals so I can empathize with the situation from your end as well. Hopefully, the cat's owner understands too and takes it seriously, as well as the cat taking to the bell (some hate it and try to pull it off). Hoping for the best!

This is 9 years :wtf: of law school talking, but it doesn’t matter how cute the pet is, whether it saved Timmy from falling down the well, or if it was Lassie or Old Yeller—killing a pet isn’t murder, it is destruction of property.
I have some very bad news for you about how we discuss milling poker chips around here. :)

I’m all for cats (at least the rights/humane treatment of cats) and agree killing a pet without a list of prior attempts to solve the problem in another way is wrong.

It’s also important for the owner of any animal to understand and take responsibility for their pets actions whether they’re attacking people, eating fruits/vegetables from the neighbors garden, simply trespassing, or killing dozens of local animals a month just for kicks. Outdoor cats harmful affects of local ecosystems are well documented just as silent but deadly (SBD) dog farts are. If you’re going to be a pet owner, please be a responsible one.

7D351544-A4D2-4932-8230-76F3D12BCF85.jpeg

Trapping and relocating the cat and drawing the curtains on him or her are off the table.

Hopefully, the owner will treat me with the same level of respect that I would him if the roles were reversed. I am going to talk to him on Monday.
I'm very glad to hear this, and very hopeful that it leads to a positive outcome. I've seen enough "talking to neighbors" stories to suspect that it won't. People are shitty and stupid and irresponsible; hopefully your neighbor is reasonable but I'm not putting money on it.

I think you're in a difficult position and I'm sorry for that. Just bear in mind that even if the two of you can't work something out, killing the cat will in no way make anything better. You'll buy a month of peace in your backyard at the cost of a lifetime of war with your neighbor.

I spend TONS of money every year feeding the birds, and have at least 6 feeders out all the time. and I love watching the birds.

This thread pisses me off. My cat was shot by my neighbor...twice. Dude never once talked to me. I don't care if the cat is shitting in your cornflakes. To think of killing someone's pet before talking to them speaks volumes about you.

I think we are naturally inclined to take a position based upon how another's action or lack thereof impacts us. Instead of looking for empathy regarding my situation, I should have been thinking about the feelings of my neighbor. I got that early on in the thread.

(Loved the shitting in your cornflakes line.)

I did that a few years ago. I caught two skunks before I got the stray cat though. :wtf:
My father used to trap squirrels and relocate them since they destroyed his garden. I don’t think he ever once caught a cat. It was always squirrels, possums and skunks. Think the raccoons were to fat to fit inside, lol.

I will also add this cat is hell on wheels. He is relentless. I work. It is unsettling to go out by the feeders in the afternoon and see that their has been a pillow fight again and again.

Rest assure, I am not going to shoot the cat.

Will post an update after I talk with my neighbor.

lol I’m guessing you caught the same skunk twice. That’s a bad day. We’re you able to release it without getting sprayed. Maybe a better question is how many times did it spray you?

my only trapping experience is a possum and a chipmunk, both of which had to be evicted from residence under portions of my home.

View attachment 685773
View attachment 685774

View attachment 685775

If you throw a sheet over the cage, then place the cage in a garbage can, then fill it with water, you won't get sprayed by the skunk.

You may have already tried this, but for what it's worth, I asked some friends for suggestions and got this: Try raising the height of the birdfeeder to eight feet off the ground using a thin metal rod (get one twelve feet long and put the first four feet of it into the ground). Cats shouldn't be able to climb the rod or jump that high.

No idea if that will actually work, but perhaps it's worth a try.

Good luck with your neighbor.

Could @Mojo1312 consider songbirds, chipmunks, and squirrels he feeds and in a few instances, identify, his “pets”? Or is an animal that someone feeds and knows (and sometimes even pets!) only a pet if it’s registered with a government organization?

Another option, if it doesn't go well with the neighbor, is to try "gut bombs". Take a little piece of chicken skin, and put a bunch of hot peppers inside of it -- chili pepper, or pepper flakes, something that would give you a stomach ache if you ate it. Tie the chicken skin together so the peppers are not showing. The entire little ball should be pretty small. Put it right under the bird feeder. When the cat comes over, he will find this delicious treat, and hopefully will eat it. Then in a while, they will feel extreme intestinal discomfort, and probably vomit. This should provide a bad association with your yard, and hopefully discourage future visits. Worth a try. It's not nice, but it's not lethal either.

Another option, if it doesn't go well with the neighbor, is to try "gut bombs". Take a little piece of chicken skin, and put a bunch of hot peppers inside of it -- chili pepper, or pepper flakes, something that would give you a stomach ache if you ate it. Tie the chicken skin together so the peppers are not showing. The entire little ball should be pretty small. Put it right under the bird feeder. When the cat comes over, he will find this delicious treat, and hopefully will eat it. Then in a while, they will feel extreme intestinal discomfort, and probably vomit. This should provide a bad association with your yard, and hopefully discourage future visits. Worth a try. It's not nice, but it's not lethal either.
lol, peppers wrapped in bacon.

This is 9 years :wtf: of law school talking, but it doesn’t matter how cute the pet is, whether it saved Timmy from falling down the well, or if it was Lassie or Old Yeller—killing a pet isn’t murder, it is destruction of property. ;)

But I agree—talk to the owner. Get a bell collar. Other mitigation attempts. Killing someone’s pet in this circumstance is absolutely wrong.
This is true, but there will be criminal penalties for killing somebody’s cat, beyond the destruction of property issues. Depending on jurisdiction, of course.

Could @Mojo1312 consider songbirds, chipmunks, and squirrels he feeds and in a few instances, identify, his “pets”? Or is an animal that someone feeds and knows (and sometimes even pets!) only a pet if it’s registered with a government organization?

What this boils down to is whether or not one believes a person should be allowed to enjoy their property without having to suffer the loss of habitat caused by intruding pets. My two next door neighbors don't let their dogs shit on my yard by giving them open range. I have spotted the neighbor's cat under the bird feeders or coming out of the lilac bush twice.

Being able to reach a point where you can pet a chipmunk is a rewarding experience. I have a red squirrel that has a larder overhead in the corner of the garage where I have various lengths of two by sixes and two by fours stored. He will come out when he hears activity, popping up like a sentry on watch, protecting his little stash of seeds.

It has taken me three and a half years to reach this level of harmony. I would miss not seeing the red squirrel in the garage, and I would be upset to find the feathers of a red cardinal or the dead body of a partially devoured or mauled chipmunk by the feeders.

There are only two choices. Stop feeding the birds, squirrels and chipmunks or solve the problem with the cat.

Neither killing the cat, nor trapping and relocating the cat, (kidnapping), nor catching him or her and dropping him or her off at the humane shelter are viable solutions. Everything hinges on the cat owner and his willingness to take responsibility.

Last edited:
Seriously speaking, the only legal way is to take the neighbour to court (if he doen't cooperate) for letting his pet on others' property, and for letting it feed on wildlife (HE is supposed to feed his cat).

Otherwise, abducting and relocating this predator in the wild may be a good idea. Just don't use guns (especially in that country you live in; it might escalate).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom