Let the Birds Die or Kill the Cat? (1 Viewer)

Let the Birds Die or Kill the Cat?

• Spare the furball

Votes: 46 69.7%
  • Save the songbirds, kill the furball

Votes: 20 30.3%

• Total voters
7A6F96A2-28C8-437B-98DB-0311A84A8999.jpeg

5F5D1F1D-793A-4BC7-AE46-9B51B02564F0.jpeg

Enough cat pictures already, time for some canine photos.

BTW, how come I need to license my dog, keep it on a leash when not on my property, pick up the poop, keep it on my own property unless I’m walking it (on a leash), stop it from chasing and eating small animals, etc., but my neighbour’s cats are allowed to roam and shit and kill and do whatever else they bloody well please with no regulations or consequences?

/rant

I will start by saying that I am an animal lover. All animals! But in most areas it’s very frustrating because there is a leash law for dogs, but not for cats. Cats are allowed to roam free without a care. That is, until the neighbor gets holes in the roof of his convertible due to the cats sunbathing.

If the cat is unwanted on your property, let your neighbor know. If that doesn’t work, buy a humane trap (or borrow one from the local SPCA), trap the cat, and take it to the SPCA. You could even provide your neighbors’ info for them to contact. After one time they should get the message.

View attachment 686656
Enough cat pictures already, time for some canine photos.

BTW, how come I need to license my dog, keep it on a leash when not on my property, pick up the poop, keep it on my own property unless I’m walking it (on a leash), stop it from chasing and eating small animals, etc., but my neighbour’s cats are allowed to roam and shit and kill and do whatever else they bloody well please with no regulations or consequences?

/rant
Because cats are natures exterminators - lol.

Dogs do not equal cats. Have you ever had to go to a hospital because a domesticated house cat attacked you?
I've had to go to a hospital because my neighbor's pitbull attacked me.

Not a good example. Next?

but my neighbour’s cats are allowed to roam and shit and kill and do whatever else they bloody well please with no regulations or consequences?

Not sure about your municipality, but where I live this is not the case. Fines can be levied and the city even has traps and deterrent kits available.

Dogs do not equal cats. Have you ever had to go to a hospital because a domesticated house cat attacked you?

My neighbor got a nasty sepsis infection in her hand because she closed the door on her own (outdoor) cat's tail in the sliding glass door letting it inside and it bit her.

Because cats are natures exterminators - lol.

My dog does a pretty good job of exterminating cats (if I let him), but that would probably lead to him being labeled as a dangerous animal. Doesn’t mean cats should be allowed to shit in my garden and kill anything smaller than them.

Umm, yeah, I’ve had to take a kid to the hospital because a domestic cat scratched the shit out of him.

Sure, some dogs (especially if they are in a pack and not under anyone’s control) can be aggressive. And they (and the owner) should face consequences for unwanted behaviour. But then so should cats and their owners.

A Theology teacher of ours back in high school, a priest, told us that a lady confessed to him that "she used a cat". :)

Fair enough, cats hurt people too. But they are FAR less likely to harm someone than dogs, and it seems a little silly to compare them. 47mil/400k =117.5 times more likely to be bitten by a dog than by a cat. yeah, that actually warrants different rules.

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/animal-bite-accident-statistics.html

Dog Bite Statistics:
  • Dog bites are by far the most common type of animal bites in the U.S. with around 4.7 million dog bites occurring each year.
  • An estimated 800,000 dog bites are serious enough to require medical care.
  • About 2/3 of all dog bites occur near or on the property of the victim; in most dog bite cases, the victim knew the dog that bit them.
Most people associate animal bites with dog bites, but cat bites are also a very common phenomenon. Some cat bite statistics are as follows:
  • There are an estimated 400,000 cat bites each year.
  • An estimated 66,000 hospital emergency visits each year are due to cat bites.

That said, I am not defending the cat's behavior, OR the cat owner. I am defending the cats right to NOT BE SHOT BY THE NEIGHBOR.

Fair enough, cats hurt people too. But they are FAR less likely to harm someone than dogs, and it seems a little silly to compare them. 47mil/400k =117.5 times more likely to be bitten by a dog than by a cat. yeah, that actually warrants different rules.

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/animal-bite-accident-statistics.html

Dog Bite Statistics:
  • Dog bites are by far the most common type of animal bites in the U.S. with around 4.7 million dog bites occurring each year.
  • An estimated 800,000 dog bites are serious enough to require medical care.
  • About 2/3 of all dog bites occur near or on the property of the victim; in most dog bite cases, the victim knew the dog that bit them.
Most people associate animal bites with dog bites, but cat bites are also a very common phenomenon. Some cat bite statistics are as follows:
  • There are an estimated 400,000 cat bites each year.
  • An estimated 66,000 hospital emergency visits each year are due to cat bites.

That said, I am not defending the cat's behavior, OR the cat owner. I am defending the cats right to NOT BE SHOT BY THE NEIGHBOR.

Keep it up Mel, and I might just shoot my neighbor's cat to give you something to really howl about.

Neighbor: "Why did you shoot my cat."

"It's a long story, but this highly emotional, frantic girl online pissed me off!"

"I see. That is a bummer."

Keep it up Mel, and I might just shoot my neighbor's cat to give you something to really howl about.

Neighbor: "Why did you shoot my cat."

"It's a long story, but this highly emotional, frantic girl online pissed me off!"

"I see. That is a bummer."

You do you. And I don't mind that I pissed you off. We're even.

Last edited:
What would you do if a wild fox or other natural predator was eating the songbirds?
What if someone had a number of feral & stray cats that they left food out for in their yard for on a regular basis and a neighbor's pet falcon/hawk kept killing half a dozen cats every few months in their yard because the neighbor let their bird roam around the neighborhood? Killing isn't the solution and I don't know if it ever would be... I just know I'd have a whole heck of a lot of dog bias if the OP was talking about killing a pet dog so I was just thinking of an example that would put cats on the other end of the issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom