Let the Birds Die or Kill the Cat? (2 Viewers)

Let the Birds Die or Kill the Cat?

• Spare the furball

Votes: 46 69.7%
  • Save the songbirds, kill the furball

Votes: 20 30.3%

• Total voters
I think something like this would take care of the problem

3B6D5380-C60F-4417-A5E1-CFFB57D4FEA2.jpeg

I think a bell on the collar is a great idea if the neighbor would agree. Also, how about a little fence around the garden area. Birds can still get in and depending on the fence size, you could make it that chipmunks can fit through but cats would be too big to get though. Just a thought.

Not a huge cat fan. I've had cats, in the past. My 2 rescue kitties were killed years ago by an ungrateful neighborhood resident, one poisoned, one purposefully run over in front of the house inwas residing at then. Shit happens.
I also love the birds at the house. In your case, I would definitely confront the neighbor and let them know your issues, and your possible courses of action. I am +1 for the collar and bell (outside cats need identification on a collar anyway, without it theres nothing stopping any one from taking them to the pound or calling animal control to report a stray)
I would inform them that if the problem continues you would be inclined to contact animal control and or trap the cat. I would also mention that while you do not want to harm the animal, your private property is yours, and you do not wish to have a resident cat on your property. While (and this may be harsh) I could care less of the cat died or not, I can sympathize with it being someones pet, whether they are being responsible for the animal or not. I would also recommend contacting your local animal control to get their input on the situation, and what they say your options are.

... I love cats.
Same.

I had an Irish Setter, loved that boy like crazy. Lived a great 15 years. My lifestyle, however, isn't good to get another dog with all the traveling I do for the job. Wouldn't have been fair. When I retire for good, I'm definitely getting another puppy.

With cats, they're self-sufficient and can take care of themselves whenever I'm gone for a few days. Yeah, they have quirks and that's fine. These are my two boys now, a bonded pair. Both are strictly indoors.

IMG_4150.jpg

They apparently also don't mind poker.

IMG_5699.JPG

IMG_5246.JPG

Back on topic, OP should definitely chat with the cat's owner.

I’m not a cat person at all, but if you’re really thinking about murdering someone else’s pet and you don’t even have the balls to talk to them then you have some serious issues.

I would be lying if I said it didn't cross my mind yesterday. The cat is new to the neighborhood and I am just startled at how quickly he or she has racked up the bird kills and the chipmunks have disappeared.

I think it is reasonable for someone in my situation to want to protect the wildlife in their front yard. You take the time to learn how to attract songbirds, care for their habitat and feed them twice a day. In return, you get to wake up to their songs in the morning and are able to step outside during the day to watch them fly to and from the feeders while listening to their chirping whenever you want to unwind.

Just because songbirds and chipmunks are wild, doesn't mean they are less important. All of that is in jeopardy.

I acknowledge the right thing to do, balls or not, is to talk to my neighbor across the road and see where it goes from there.

I had (have) a similar problem with my neighbors, it’s kinda sad really. They trap and neuter feral cats, then let them live in and around their house, and in the woods behind our houses. I would not really care, except the cats constantly shit on my yard. I’ll admit this issue bothered me much more when our boys were little, playing baseball football etc in the yard, but it still pisses me off when I’m mowing and get that stuff on my shoes and in the tires on my mower! Cat shit is some of the nastiest stuff on the planet. They also sleep on my deck and have even been our roof. They are also feral and mean fuckers. I have thought many times about killing them, especially when I am really mad after a poop incident! I have also tried talking to and confronting neighbors many times over the years to no avail. The HOA will not help either, even though there is a clause about dangerous, odorous or nuisance pets. So basically I grin and bear it, and sometimes take a shovel and throw the shit back in their yard! There are other factors at work but for my own sanity I have basically lived and let live. Also feral cats screw up ecosystems, they are not natural to environments around here. And you can bet I’m rooting for the Coyotes I hear howling at night.

Never thought of the Bell thing but I really like that Idea! The pit bull has to have a collar on and his tags clank when he goes out. For the most part he stays on our property but we also have people with outside cats here, not happy with these "pets" on our property and the pitbull makes quick snacks of them. I like to think of the tags clanking gives the cats a close to equal chance.

About a year ago he got out with no collar, a black cat was creeping down the driveway about 50 yds away and saddly it had no chance.. I felt horrible but the "owners" have like 20 cats, sad to see that one die, but don't get in the cage if you can't box!

"Blue" the pitbull is likely for rent if you ask Brie! Lol

Never thought of the Bell thing but I really like that Idea! The pit bull has to have a collar on and his tags clank when he goes out. For the most part he stays on our property but we also have people with outside cats here, not happy with these "pets" on our property and the pitbull makes quick snacks of them. I like to think of the tags clanking gives the cats a close to equal chance.

About a year ago he got out with no collar, a black cat was creeping down the driveway about 50 yds away and saddly it had no chance.. I felt horrible but the "owners" have like 20 cats, sad to see that one die, but don't get in the cage if you can't box!

"Blue" the pitbull is likely for rent if you ask Brie! Lol
My dog is not a killer he's friendly! Just not good with cats or squirrels!

Same.

I had an Irish Setter, loved that boy like crazy. Lived a great 15 years. My lifestyle, however, isn't good to get another dog with all the traveling I do for the job. Wouldn't have been fair. When I retire for good, I'm definitely getting another puppy.

With cats, they're self-sufficient and can take care of themselves whenever I'm gone for a few days. Yeah, they have quirks and that's fine. These are my two boys now, a bonded pair. Both are strictly indoors.

View attachment 685739

They apparently also don't mind poker.

View attachment 685737

View attachment 685738

Back on topic, OP should definitely chat with the cat's owner.

Liked your post after spotting the flamingo's.

I agree the best and right thing to do is to address the neighbor and ask that he puts a bell collar on the cat.
It took 30 posts before mentioning a bell? This is precisely why responsible owners put a bell on their kitties.

My sister and her husband live on the edge of a woods. They feed the songbirds, and in the process they feed squirrels and deer. The birds attract ravens, and there is an owl couple who raise their young there every spring. She does run out of the house to holler at the ravens. Her husband comes up with new ideas to keep the squirrels out of the bird feeders. One of the does figured out how to get into the supposedly protected bird feeder, but she spills more bird food than she eats. I think she's in cahoots with the squirrels.

Cats gonna cat. Buy a bell collar as a gift for your neighbor's cat.

A cat is not the first species that came to mind when I read the comment about cats killing for sport.

Birds get along just fine without you feeding them. You do it purely for your enjoyment but don't like it when it also attracts the squirrels and cats. You don't get to choose when you upset the balance of nature.

I don't think you read my posts.

I have no problem with the squirrels, in fact I put out bird seed for them. From my point of view, it is the domestic cat which is allowed to roam free that is upsetting the balance.

I'd think walking over and talking to your neighbor to find a solution is the first step before you murder the cat. He should keep the cat inside. It's pretty irresponsible to just let the cat roam outside.
I’m not a cat person at all, but if you’re really thinking about murdering someone else’s pet and you don’t even have the balls to talk to them then you have some serious issues.
This is 9 years :wtf: of law school talking, but it doesn’t matter how cute the pet is, whether it saved Timmy from falling down the well, or if it was Lassie or Old Yeller—killing a pet isn’t murder, it is destruction of property. ;)

But I agree—talk to the owner. Get a bell collar. Other mitigation attempts. Killing someone’s pet in this circumstance is absolutely wrong.

Last edited:
This is 9 years of law school talking, but it doesn’t matter how cute the pet is, whether it saved Timmy from falling down the well, or if it was Lassie or Old Yeller—killing a pet isn’t murder, it is destruction of property.

I understand that the actual definition of murder relates to that of a human killing another human.

I used it as a synonym for kill/killing.

In any case, killing someone's pet due to inconvenience is not something I can relate to. People may not be able to understand this, but some people consider pets to be part of their family.

Trapping and relocating the cat and drawing the curtains on him or her are off the table.

Hopefully, the owner will treat me with the same level of respect that I would him if the roles were reversed. I am going to talk to him on Monday.

Ingenious solution @Rieguy. Thank you

Buy the bell yourself as a good gesture, and bring it with you when you go over. It can't be more than $5.

And you never know what this person's situation is. Maybe $5 to them is a lot.

And I'm sure inside you're pissed, but you'll have to let go of that while you're there. Even if at first it's not going well.

Be nice! Lol.

But then if all else fails, go nuclear.
Warn him you're calling spca or whatever authority. And if you see the cat again you're putting a out a trap. Have a nice day sir.

(Of course before putting out a trap inform yourself on rules/steps related to animal problems)

Who cares if he knows it's you.
You were nice, offered a solution.
If he spits in your face so to say, then whatever happens after is his own fault.

I spend TONS of money every year feeding the birds, and have at least 6 feeders out all the time. and I love watching the birds.

This thread pisses me off. My cat was shot by my neighbor...twice. Dude never once talked to me. I don't care if the cat is shitting in your cornflakes. To think of killing someone's pet before talking to them speaks volumes about you.

How many squirrels did you kill before deciding they’re actually okay?

I did that a few years ago. I caught two skunks before I got the stray cat though. :wtf:
lol I’m guessing you caught the same skunk twice. That’s a bad day. We’re you able to release it without getting sprayed. Maybe a better question is how many times did it spray you?

my only trapping experience is a possum and a chipmunk, both of which had to be evicted from residence under portions of my home.

AF9C9AC1-2197-4329-97AF-8ADDEBCFFD36.jpeg

EB02DDBA-A810-4678-8253-DFE60A2F4A8A.jpeg

8D447BE7-10B8-4C79-9355-A50BFAA81AF8.jpeg

If anyone killed my pet to protect their birdwatching I would seek revenge.
I just realized that this could be construed as advising "... so when you kill someone's pet, make sure you do it in a way that deflects suspicion from you."

Please let me be clear: Do not kill someone's pet unless you are the sort of person who would kill someone's wife or child, or perhaps burn down their house. And if you are that sort of person, I'm afraid I have no good advice for you.

Everyone gives Cats a bad wrap for killing birds, but no one complains when they take care of the rats, mice, or other unwanted critters. Cats are natural predators and will attack anything that is 1) smaller than them, and 2) that moves. Nothing you or your neighbor tells the cat will change that. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Keeping an outdoor cat inside is easier said then done..

The best idea offered so far is putting a bell collar on the cat. I got tired of my 22pd mini-lion bringing me “presents”, so I put a bell on him. It does work and is good for all parties - the cat still gets to hunt (good for the cat), but doesn’t catch anything (good for the birds)!

Try the bell.

BTW - I hear your frustration. However, you kill a neighbor’s pet and you can be assured you’ll have a “forever” feud that “I’m sorry” won’t fix. (They’ll know who did it)

Don’t assume they won’t respond..and don’t go down that path unless you are 100% willing to deal with their response -

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom