League Points (1 Viewer)

I'm honestly wondering how to deal with a canceled game in a 12 game season where you must attend 7 games to be eligible. Should we require 6 of 11 or keep it at 7?

I went and reread this entire thread and was surprised our 7 game rule wasn't mentioned. I've mentioned it several times, just not in this thread, so I understand why it looks that way.

The solution for a cancelled game is simple. Plan another game :).

I did have that number 7 in my mind, so I must've picked it up in another thread. Just couldn't find it here, and couldn't be bothered to search the forum :).

I like the planning another game, it just won't work here. I wish it could. We might could look at it later in the year, but it would be difficult. So right now, I'm assuming it's just likely to shorten the season.

Bloody, for all this analysis, I think you did a great job of comparing the systems. I was very curious to see how these players did in my system and compare it to other systems. While you didn't get my system right, you for the most part got the end result right, at least at the very top (where I'm really trying to get it right).

I input your results of your 10 tournaments into our system. Generally, our system is not designed to measure different buy-in amounts or re-buys. Thus, it is not really an apples to apples comparison to systems that do measure those two things. Within the framework of our system though, you could measure one of them. To measure both, we'd have to add two additional categories. Instead of using KO's, I ran a second test using buy-ins. Since re-buys should hurt a player, I used the KO column. If a player didn't re-buy, I gave him a 2; if he did re-buy, I gave him a 1. That didn't affect the top 3 spots so I'm generally going to ignore that, but have noted it in places where that might matter.

There were no KO numbers to work with, so that factor is thrown out entirely. I'll address this in the next post, but it is unlikely to make any difference in the top few places unless there are significant differences in that category. Some players were so close it might change which of them finished ahead of the other though.

The scores you posted using my system, and some of the rankings, are just not accurate. I don't know how you got them, so I'll post the accurate numbers to our top 10 here. The first # is their final ranking (not counting re-buys), the second is the # of games they played in, and their score is to the far right:
1-7 Bertrand .765
2-10 Phil I .696
3-10 Sammy .682
4-5 Eli .540 (would not be eligible because he didn't play in enough games)
5-8 Tom Dwan .522
6-7 TJ Cloutier .515
7-5 Johnny Moss .446 (would not be eligible because he didn't play in enough games)
8-1 Dan H. .347 (would not be eligible because he didn't play in enough games)
9-10 Patrick A .310
10-10 Kara S. .248

If you looked only at our points, which we do measure each category independently and rank players by each category, here is our top 10:
1 Sammy
2 Phil I.
3 Bertrand
4 Tom D
5 Mike Matusow
6 Kara S.
7 Eli E. * (not eligible for an award)
8 TJ Cloutier
9 Phil H.
10 Johnny Moss * (not eligible for an award)

These numbers look closer to other systems for a reason -- they are measuring more or less the same thing as other systems. I put these in for comparison. Now I'll explain why our rankings put players where they are. I'll note that our system rewards every attendee with points, and those in the top 7 have their attendance points multiplied by a number higher than 1.

1 Bertrand -- He, Phil I., and Sammy all won 2 tournaments and all got .200 in that category based on them each winning 20% of the total tournaments. But Bertrand played in only 7 tournaments so his tournament wins/game were .211 compared to .148 for Phil and Sammy (also for Eli and Johnny M since both of them won 1 tournament in 5 games, but their scores for TW were only .100 instead of .200 since they won only 10%.

2/3 Phil I. and Sammy -- While they were 2 & 1 respectively in points, their points/game were lower than Bertrand's. Phil finished ahead of Sammy on the basis of his 6-5 edge in Final Table appearances. In ITP finishes, Sammy finished 3rd 2x, while Phil finished 3rd once and 5th once. Phil's edge amounts to 1.4%. If you counted re-buys like I did, Phil's edge increases slightly to 1.9% based on Sammy re-buying one more time. Sammy would win between these two on points by the narrowest of margins -- 2 points in our system, but scores .001 (1/10 of 1%) apart. Other factors pushed Phil over Sammy. This to me is what our system is designed to do -- separate players who are very close in performance by looking at measurables other than just points and lower than top 10 finishes.

4 Eli -- Since he played in only 5, he wouldn't be eligible for an award of any kind. What put him there was his above average per game performance. I'll note here that we discussed requiring players to attend 7 or 8 games of our 12 to be eligible. We debated that a lot, but ultimately decided on 7 because everyone agreed we needed at least 7 to really measure. It just so happened that 7 was one more than half of 12. We will find out if people wanted to measure at least 7 or one more than half of the games. I won't know that for a few weeks, but I will try to remember to report back on what we decided. But Eli is one of 3 cases that demonstrate why per game performance alone should not be decisive.

5/6 Tom & TJ -- Tom would technically have finished 4th in our system since one above him wasn't eligible. In other systems, he is ranked from 4 to 8. His edge over TJ was in total points and points/game. Tom performs better in TP and TP/G; TJ performs better in FT/G, ITP/G, and TW/G, but Tom wound up with a .7% edge -- 7/1000 better. This is a great example where factors other than points could have been decisive, but in this case were not. If you measure re-buys, Tom's edge increases to 1.4% based on TJ re-buying one more time.

7 Johnny M -- Johnny had a decisive edge over the next player, but due to lack of games, wouldn't be eligible for anything in our system.

8/9 Dan H & Patrick A -- If you calculate re-buys like I did, these two places reverse. However, Dan's strength is entirely based on entering only 1 tournament and finishing 2nd. In 3 of the 5 per game categories, he finished 1st. This is another classic reason why one game should not be enough to count because a good performance would encourage a player to not play again since it's unlikely anyone would beat the per game performance, which counts half of the score. Patrick ranked from 1-9 with other rankings; same as our system, but 12th in our system based only on points. The linear points system has him 1st; I think most people agree linear scoring is not accurate.

10 Kara -- 6 final tables, 2 2nds, a 3rd, and a 7th; she would have been 6th if we counted only points. She ranked from 3 to 6 in other systems. She finished only .012 behind Patrick not counting re-buys, and .016 behind him with re-buys since she had one more re-buy than him. The players above her had one big edge over her -- except for Patrick, who finished just ahead of her, they won at least one tournament.

There are several possible reasons why our percentage system might rank players differently. One is the fact that several factors are measured that other systems don't measure. Another is that the percentages measure how close players were in tenths of a percent compared to other players in performance.

One reason we measure per game performance is that a points system alone favors players who play in the most games. By measuring per game performance, a player who comes to enough games and performs better per game could win. The fact is, such a player is likely a better player but he didn't attend as many games.

I asked what are systems supposed to measure. I know exactly what we were trying to measure. We are trying to measure the best players in those 12 games to give out a limited number of awards. We give out 4 awards per year, and in 2014, we had 42 players and 4 got awards. Really only 3 since one won two different awards. We did have 2 secondary awards in 2014 that will no longer be given. So for us, winning an award is designed to measure truly elite performance over those 12 games.

Systems based solely on points are not wrong, but they do only measure cumulative performance. If such systems are being used to select a final game, tournament of champions, or something like how many chips one gets in the final game, it is measuring cumulative performance and not necessarily who the best players are.

Let's suppose you played and said the top 10 play in the final game. Based only on points, let's also assume that you must attend 6 or 7 games (doesn't really matter for this example). I want to focus on Eli and Johnny Moss. Neither would qualify because they didn't play in enough games. Yet, both accumulated more points that those right below them who played in more games. Rounding out our top 10 without those ineligible would be Phil H., Mike, M. and Doyle. Those would also be our points leaders who played in enough games.

Some players could certainly argue they should have gotten in either because they accumulated more points, and attending more games wouldn't have reduced that. Others could argue they met the requirements and should be included, even though they might not be the best players.

If the objective of a system is to measure the best players to get the best 10 who attended the required number of games for a final game, I'm not convinced a points-only system tells you that. Obviously some can disagree. Not all of those systems are trying to do that though. Some are simply ranking players and they aren't excluding anyone based on those rankings.

Systems that take only a few for the final game are different though. Here's what those systems are really doing. They are rewarding those who show up the most with the most benefits. If players who aren't at the final game are paying some of the prize money for that game, I personally would either not play in the league at all, or I'd figure it out and stop playing after the first year, especially if I thought I was likely to miss some games due to schedule because not being there would hurt so much since it's purely cumulative.

Bloody, since you didn't get my system exactly right, I'll not that I credited you with getting the others right but just missed something in mine. Obviously not all systems will lead to the same results.

Since he played in only 5, he wouldn't be eligible for an award of any kind. What put him there was his above average per game performance. I'll note here that we discussed requiring players to attend 7 or 8 games of our 12 to be eligible. We debated that a lot, but ultimately decided on 7 because everyone agreed we needed at least 7 to really measure

Needed at least 7 to really measure what? If I came to five of your tournaments and won them all, only to find out I wasn't eligible to win any awards, I'd be more than a little pissed. You really think that a performance of that caliber doesn't demonstrate anything measurable?

I've taken some time to look at our 2014 season. After seeing the comparison to other systems, that gave me some things to go back and look at specifically. I'm going to compare the top few players on several points. For comparison, there were 42 different players.

There's been a lot of discussion about our use of KO's as a measurement. We measure each of our 10 categories (5 cumulative and 5 per game) separately. Using TP (total points) to measure the top 10, our #2 player only scored 6th on points. Comparing #2 to #3 makes an interesting comparison. #3 played in 12 games, won 1.5. #2 played in 8 games, and won 2. He has a decisive edge over #3 for several reasons. He has an edge in KO's (.069 to .060), but comparing them by game, his edge goes to .077 to .045. #3 had more FT, but that is exactly offset by #2 having higher FT/G. The ITP is close. #3 scored .092 to .077, but in ITP/G, #2 wins .088 to .070 and ends up with a .003 edge in those two categories. Total points #3 scores .079 to .061, but in TP/G, #2 wins .069 to .060, giving #3 a .009 edge. In those 8 categories, #2 wins .547 to .508, but runs away with it when you compare TW (2-1.5 for #2, but in TW/G, #2 scores 2x as much). By several measurables, #2 wins over #3.

Every person who finished in the top 3 in any of the 10 categories finished in the top 5 in our total rankings. The worst of the top 5 finished in the top 3 in 3 of 10 categories.

Let's use total points as a measure and compare the other categories to that.

1. Our top 10 in points is also our top 10 players, though in a different order, for KO's. It clearly showed that in that year the best players also have the most KO's.
  2. When it comes to Final Table appearances, 8 of the top 10 in FT were in the top 10 in points. The lowest of the top 10 in points finished 14th in FT appearances. That shows a very high correlation of final table appearances to total points.
  3. In the Money finishes -- the correlation is 100%, though this is not really a surprise since those finishing in the points score more than others.
  4. In Tournament Wins, there is a 100% correlation between the two lists.
  5. Points/Game -- 100% correlation. That's not necessarily a surprise, but accumulated points and points per game are often different.
  6. In KO's/G, 7 of the top 10 are in the top 10 in points, with the lowest of the top 10 in points finishing 17th.
  7. In FT/G, 7 of the top 10 are in the top 10 in points, with the lowest of the top 10 in points finishing 18th.
  8. ITP/G, 9 of the top 10 are in the top 10 in points, with the lowest of the top 10 in points finishing 20th.
  9. TW/G -- 100% correlation.
Only 1 person in our top 10 attended 8 games, 2 attended 9 games, 3 attended 10 games, 2 attended 11 games, and 2 attended 12 games. 19 of 42 players attended 7 games -- enough to be eligible for an award. The lowest ranking player eligible for an award finished 31; he made 1 FT appearance, had some KO's, but otherwise didn't distinguish himself. Thus, the bottom 11 didn't attend enough games, but filled out games

When I compare the performance, I definitely think our system provides a more accurate measure than points only. I can see where others don't agree. I finished 3rd last year and would have finished 2nd by our point system and I suspect most others, though I've not done the comparison like Bloody did. Obviously I like that better, but I try to see it objectively and will admit I believe the guy who finished second outperformed me. I could even see since #4 was so close to me some argument that he should have finished ahead of me as well, though our system didn't support that conclusion.

BG, if you were playing under any system that required you to play in 7 of 12 games to be eligible, you knew that rule going in, you were reminded of that rule every month in the newsletter, and even got a reminder of how many of the remaining games you had to attend to be eligible, what is your exact complaint?

In most competitive events, you have to enter a certain number of events to be eligible for some things. How is this different?

If you can't see why a dominating performance should not be overlooked, no amount of typed words will change that. I'm done.

Bloody, for all this analysis, I think you did a great job of comparing the systems. I was very curious to see how these players did in my system and compare it to other systems. While you didn't get my system right, you for the most part got the end result right, at least at the very top (where I'm really trying to get it right).

I input the data into your 2015 sheet. Unless you made alterations to the sheet since I received it, I can only imagine one of us did something wrong if the results aren't the same. And I'm going to assume it's you ;).

I input your results of your 10 tournaments into our system. Generally, our system is not designed to measure different buy-in amounts or re-buys. Thus, it is not really an apples to apples comparison to systems that do measure those two things.

I do think you should read my analysis again then. I clearly mentioned that I compared your system with systems that don't take the buy-in into consideration. I even created two whole different categories for formulas that incorporated more data. Now how do you like them apples...

Of all the points systems out there, there are none like yours. They may all be different, but they all work according to the basic principle that playing in more tournaments can only increase your points, whereas in yours additional games can mean you lose points. Since participation is the biggest factor to the success of any league I can't recommend your system unless you have a really loyal and dependable group.

I also don't like that not playing can be an advantage. There's no way around it: Bertrand Grospellier finished first because he played fewer games than Phil Ivey and Sammy Farha. In my personal opinion, that should never be rewarded.

Again I can't stress this enough, but the ridiculous amount of exposition, explanation, examples, and variables that you need to describe how your system works makes it an absolute nightmare to comprehend. As a player I don't want my results to be put in a magic box that converts them to a score which comes out at the other end. I want to be able to understand, recreate and verify the results, and that's just never going to happen with your system.

I am now officially giving up. It's just too much work to keep trying to make sense of your explanations and examples.

BG, no one is overlooking great performance. However, our league rules are that to win an annual award, you have to attend more than half the games. The only "penalty" you would suffer is not winning a paper award. You wouldn't be excluded from anything except those awards, which are mostly about bragging rights.

Bloody, I don't have an explanation for the different scores. I sent you two sheets, and the second one did have a correction in it. I asked you to send me the input data so I could copy it exactly. If I didn't input it exactly, I'd get different results. Neither of us would know that without looking at the input data.

You misunderstood my comment about what we measure. The 10 events you used as an example include factors our system doesn't measure. I'd say up front that our system is not designed to measure what we are trying to measure in that format. We'd see those as differences that should be measured. To me, those are actually games being played by different rules, so I'd be reluctant to try to measure them together using our system because they are so different. Our system is designed to measure games played with the same structure and rules.

If we knew there would be different entry amounts and a mix of freeze-outs and re-buys, we'd build our system to measure those things, and I'm pretty sure it would make a difference. While you did state you were measuring systems based on what they did, the example you provided is not one I'd have our current system measure. Our system was specifically designed for a "league" where every game has the identical structure and rules. If we were measuring something like yours, we'd try to adjust our system to measure what we consider relevant factors. There are reasons for that.

• Some players will not play in re-buy events. Our system does reward greater attendance, a point you dispute but I'll address. Players who refused to play in certain events would mean they really aren't completely part of the league, though they might play in some games and their stats would be counted. However, they aren't committed to the entire season, only those events that meet their personal criteria.
  • Some players will not play if the entry fee is above their budget. They might play in $40 but not $60.
  • Some of those might play in re-buys but would count one re-buy as part of the entry fee would be priced out. They might play in $100, but not a $60 with a re-buy since they'd see that as a $120 entry fee.

Collectively, these factors mean there are possibly 3 groups of players who wouldn't play in all events. We'd know some players are not really going to compete for anything because they wouldn't come to enough games. One could be a great freeze-out player but wouldn't qualify for an award for lack of attendance. We might recognize though that when that player comes, he's among the best players though.

I think we, like most leagues, have players who come who won't compete for annual awards because their attendance doesn't allow them to compete, but what makes our format attractive to them is that each game itself stands on its own. There is no payment that goes toward another game -- 100% of the entry fees are prize money in that game. Thus, if BG came and won 5 games, he cleans up when it comes to money, and certainly would score well in our system. But at the end of the year, he wouldn't be ranked amount our top 10 or awards because of low attendance.

Poker isn't like team sports where every game is played under identical rules and every team plays the same number of games to make it to the playoffs. So I think it's hard to compare players over 3 types of games, especially in a short season. But if you were going to do that, a system that accounts for those differences to me would be essential to the comparison. I think I mentioned that I looked at Dr. Neau's system. Two reasons I rejected it was that we had a consistent format and it seemed to me his was designed to measure smaller games than we had.

Our #2 player last year was a guy I hadn't met and he didn't know about our group until the 4th game of the year. He had no chance of playing in the first 3 events. He made 8 of the 9 he could have attended. By points he would have finished 6th. I doubt another system would have rated him much higher than that. But his performance in those 8 games was second only to the top guy. He was the Bertrand of your example in a sense.

Bertrand missed 3 of the first 6 games, then attended the rest. His performance in those 7 games was better overall than Sammy and Phil, but since they attended more games, they did accumulate more points. No one could intelligently argue that any of the three are clearly better players. Anyone could intelligently argue that any of them could have finished first under the right system. Where they finish depends on what that system rewards.

Here is the risk in our system of a player (A) not coming because he thinks he is too far ahead. A could sit out, and one of the players behind him (B) could pass him with a good performance. By sitting out, A doesn't get the participation points. Even if A got only participation points, that does help A's score, not hurt. How, A's per game performance might go down, but B coming and doing well would improve B's per game performance and it might be enough to pass A.

This specific issue is one we were concerned about. In 2014, the overall leader had a commanding, but not insurmountable lead, going into the last tournament. It turned out that both people behind him did perform well. Had he not showed up, he could have fallen in the standings precisely because every player's overall performance is compared to overall performance of every other player. A good comparison would be two baseball players chasing the league batting title, which is based on batting average. The one who is slightly ahead might decide to sit the last day of the season so his average doesn't go down, especially if he's facing a good pitcher who he hasn't done well against. But the risk is the player right behind him has a great day and passes him. I've played with our system enough to know sitting out doesn't really help a player. But I also know that attending 10 games instead of 7 doesn't make one a better player.

If BG came to only 5 of our 12 games and won them all, I think it's highly likely he was the best player in the group! But league rules might not allow him the same benefits as others who played more, and it's possible that in a points only system, he wouldn't finish first, or maybe not even anywhere near it. So this gets back to what exactly you are trying to measure.

Here is a simple concept. Systems that reward most those who come the most, regardless of their skill, ignore a higher level of performance for those who attend less unless their performance was enough higher on its own to score higher. The top player in that system is not necessarily the best player. The top player might have won due to circumstances of another player -- the guy who had to sit out a game due to a death in the family, illness, etc. It puts a premium on attendance. That's not wrong, but that is not what we wanted to measure.

When I was looking for a system, I couldn't find one that didn't base things primarily on attendance. In every system I looked at, players who attended more games accumulated more points. That's not wrong, but I felt other things should count as well.

Now if I'm hosting, an attendance-based scoring system always helps me because I'm the one guy they can't play without. While I'm highly competitive and would never do this, suppose after 11 tournaments, I was ahead and wanted to win. I could dream up a reason to cancel the last game of the year. Should that decide who wins awards? What if those awards are worth real money? Should that decide who gets to the final game, especially if players who don't qualify are helping fund that game?

A league that rotates locations is less dependent on a host and thus would be more difficult to manipulate.

The problem I attempted to solve is how do you determine what factors measure skill and how you weigh those factors. I'm very interested in improving our system. It does measure more things than any other system I've seen, and if it doesn't generate different results, it's pointless to measure those things. We could add things to it if we could identify them. Different entry fees and formats could be added, but both are irrelevant to our format. That's why we don't measure them.

Answers are inline.

BG, no one is overlooking great performance. However, our league rules are that to win an annual award, you have to attend more than half the games. The only "penalty" you would suffer is not winning a paper award. You wouldn't be excluded from anything except those awards, which are mostly about bragging rights.

If it doesn't mean anything, why have a league in the first place?

Bloody, I don't have an explanation for the different scores. I sent you two sheets, and the second one did have a correction in it. I asked you to send me the input data so I could copy it exactly. If I didn't input it exactly, I'd get different results. Neither of us would know that without looking at the input data.

You misunderstood my comment about what we measure. The 10 events you used as an example include factors our system doesn't measure. I'd say up front that our system is not designed to measure what we are trying to measure in that format. We'd see those as differences that should be measured. To me, those are actually games being played by different rules, so I'd be reluctant to try to measure them together using our system because they are so different. Our system is designed to measure games played with the same structure and rules.

You clearly don't understand points systems, else you'd understand that when comparing points system A, which incorporates buy-ins and rebuys, to points system B, which doesn't incorporates buy-ins and rebuys, you are making a fair comparison when you take out the buy-ins and rebuys as variables from system A. You can't then hide behind the fact that system B doesn't incorporates buy-ins and rebuys, because now neither does system A.

We're comparing the same rankings and the same players. How they got those rankings is beside the point for the purpose of comparisons.

If we knew there would be different entry amounts and a mix of freeze-outs and re-buys, we'd build our system to measure those things, and I'm pretty sure it would make a difference. While you did state you were measuring systems based on what they did, the example you provided is not one I'd have our current system measure. Our system was specifically designed for a "league" where every game has the identical structure and rules. If we were measuring something like yours, we'd try to adjust our system to measure what we consider relevant factors. There are reasons for that.
  • Some players will not play in re-buy events. Our system does reward greater attendance, a point you dispute but I'll address. Players who refused to play in certain events would mean they really aren't completely part of the league, though they might play in some games and their stats would be counted. However, they aren't committed to the entire season, only those events that meet their personal criteria.
    Besides the point. Rebuys and buy-ins were removed from the comparisons.
  • Some players will not play if the entry fee is above their budget. They might play in $40 but not $60.
  • Some of those might play in re-buys but would count one re-buy as part of the entry fee would be priced out. They might play in $100, but not a $60 with a re-buy since they'd see that as a $120 entry fee.

Collectively, these factors mean there are possibly 3 groups of players who wouldn't play in all events. We'd know some players are not really going to compete for anything because they wouldn't come to enough games. One could be a great freeze-out player but wouldn't qualify for an award for lack of attendance. We might recognize though that when that player comes, he's among the best players though.

What does this have to do with points scored? "We think you're one of the best players, we're just not allowing your excellent performance to be a part of our league".

I think we, like most leagues, have players who come who won't compete for annual awards because their attendance doesn't allow them to compete, but what makes our format attractive to them is that each game itself stands on its own. There is no payment that goes toward another game -- 100% of the entry fees are prize money in that game. Thus, if BG came and won 5 games, he cleans up when it comes to money, and certainly would score well in our system. But at the end of the year, he wouldn't be ranked amount our top 10 or awards because of low attendance.

Where does this come from? Nowhere is there any mention in any of the posts that winnings aren't paid out to the tournament winners, or of any money going towards another game. Not to mention it has absolutely zero bearing on points calculation.

Poker isn't like team sports where every game is played under identical rules and every team plays the same number of games to make it to the playoffs. So I think it's hard to compare players over 3 types of games, especially in a short season. But if you were going to do that, a system that accounts for those differences to me would be essential to the comparison. I think I mentioned that I looked at Dr. Neau's system. Two reasons I rejected it was that we had a consistent format and it seemed to me his was designed to measure smaller games than we had.

Absolute horseradish. Dr. Neau's points system can be applied to any number of players, unlike your system which assigns points to only the top 7 finishes regardless if you started with 7 players (top 100%) or 700 (top 1%) which limits your system to fieldsizes where "7" would make sense, and if you enter the same buy-in for every game, and "0" for rebuys and add-ons Dr. Neau's formula works perfectly (or you can use the simplified version listed in the OP which leaves those values out entirely).

Our #2 player last year was a guy I hadn't met and he didn't know about our group until the 4th game of the year. He had no chance of playing in the first 3 events. He made 8 of the 9 he could have attended. By points he would have finished 6th. I doubt another system would have rated him much higher than that. But his performance in those 8 games was second only to the top guy. He was the Bertrand of your example in a sense.

Did you test this on any other points system, or is that just your assumption? Did you take into consideration that you can count only the top X results?

Bertrand missed 3 of the first 6 games, then attended the rest. His performance in those 7 games was better overall than Sammy and Phil, but since they attended more games, they did accumulate more points. No one could intelligently argue that any of the three are clearly better players. Anyone could intelligently argue that any of them could have finished first under the right system. Where they finish depends on what that system rewards.

Discussed and debunked before. You can count the top X results only. Problem solved.

Here is the risk in our system of a player (A) not coming because he thinks he is too far ahead. A could sit out, and one of the players behind him (B) could pass him with a good performance. By sitting out, A doesn't get the participation points. Even if A got only participation points, that does help A's score, not hurt. How, A's per game performance might go down, but B coming and doing well would improve B's per game performance and it might be enough to pass A.

Categorically untrue, as demonstrated by Sammy sitting out after winning the first game. (And don't start with the 7 game minimum, the same logic applies there as well if you've built up a lead over the first 7 games).

This specific issue is one we were concerned about. In 2014, the overall leader had a commanding, but not insurmountable lead, going into the last tournament. It turned out that both people behind him did perform well. Had he not showed up, he could have fallen in the standings precisely because every player's overall performance is compared to overall performance of every other player. A good comparison would be two baseball players chasing the league batting title, which is based on batting average. The one who is slightly ahead might decide to sit the last day of the season so his average doesn't go down, especially if he's facing a good pitcher who he hasn't done well against. But the risk is the player right behind him has a great day and passes him. I've played with our system enough to know sitting out doesn't really help a player. But I also know that attending 10 games instead of 7 doesn't make one a better player.

Debunked before.

If BG came to only 5 of our 12 games and won them all, I think it's highly likely he was the best player in the group! But league rules might not allow him the same benefits as others who played more, and it's possible that in a points only system, he wouldn't finish first, or maybe not even anywhere near it. So this gets back to what exactly you are trying to measure.

At least BG would be a contender for the top prize in the other points systems.

Here is a simple concept. Systems that reward most those who come the most, regardless of their skill, ignore a higher level of performance for those who attend less unless their performance was enough higher on its own to score higher. The top player in that system is not necessarily the best player. The top player might have won due to circumstances of another player -- the guy who had to sit out a game due to a death in the family, illness, etc. It puts a premium on attendance. That's not wrong, but that is not what we wanted to measure.

Described before, and options offered before.

When I was looking for a system, I couldn't find one that didn't base things primarily on attendance. In every system I looked at, players who attended more games accumulated more points. That's not wrong, but I felt other things should count as well.

Then you didn't look hard enough, or didn't know of or thought about the possibility of counting only the top X scores.

Now if I'm hosting, an attendance-based scoring system always helps me because I'm the one guy they can't play without. While I'm highly competitive and would never do this, suppose after 11 tournaments, I was ahead and wanted to win. I could dream up a reason to cancel the last game of the year. Should that decide who wins awards? What if those awards are worth real money? Should that decide who gets to the final game, especially if players who don't qualify are helping fund that game?

So you're saying that the other points systems don't work because you don't trust the persons hosting them? And again, where is this real money award coming from? And how does that have anything to do with how the points are calculated? You think a league has any viability for a next season if the host pulled a stunt like that? And how is that not true for your system as well if you're leading in the points after game 11?

I don't think I need to mention again that you can count only the top X results...

A league that rotates locations is less dependent on a host and thus would be more difficult to manipulate.

The problem I attempted to solve is how do you determine what factors measure skill and how you weigh those factors. I'm very interested in improving our system. It does measure more things than any other system I've seen, and if it doesn't generate different results, it's pointless to measure those things. We could add things to it if we could identify them. Different entry fees and formats could be added, but both are irrelevant to our format. That's why we don't measure them.

And neither do any of the other systems if there are no rebuys and if the buy-in is the same for all games.

Instead you award escalating points for the top 7 only (an arbitrary number), and you award points for making the final table (even if you're only playing at one table to begin with), and points for winning money (which only the players in the top 7 can win), and for finishing first (which already gets you the most points), and you award points for receiving points.

Most (or all?) of these you're calculating twice, like having a box of 20 apples of which 12 are red, and a box of 10 apples of which 2 are red, and calculating the percentage of red apples as (60% + 20%) / 2 = 40%, and 14/30 = 46.7%, and then averaging them out to get to 43.3% red apples.

If it doesn't mean anything, why have a league in the first place?

Systems and rules are different. Whether they use a system that show it or not, most leagues require that you attend a minimum number of games.

You clearly don't understand points systems, else you'd understand that when comparing points system A, which incorporates buy-ins and rebuys, to points system B, which doesn't incorporates buy-ins and rebuys, you are making a fair comparison when you take out the buy-ins and rebuys as variables from system A. You can't then hide behind the fact that system B doesn't incorporates buy-ins and rebuys, because now neither does system A.

We're comparing the same rankings and the same players. How they got those rankings is beside the point for the purpose of comparisons.

Which one of us doesn't? I plainly stated we wouldn't use our system to evaluate players in those differing situations. I think buy-in and re-buys make a material difference and wouldn't toss them out. That leaves you comparing systems designed to manage that and systems that aren't designed to manage that. For example, if a player re-buys and wins, that isn't possible in our system, and yet it must be counted.

• No, they were not. Someone re-buying could win. Someone who won't play a re-buy would not be there for their performance to be part of the evaluation. This applies to all 3 of these points.

What does this have to do with points scored? "We think you're one of the best players, we're just not allowing your excellent performance to be a part of our league".
Two problems with this. First, you are not comparing a league that involves the same people and the same type of game, which is what our system measure. Second, we base awards on attendance, just like most other leagues. In fact, the systems themselves punish players who attend fewer games. Then the league rules may dictate how many games it takes to count.

Where does this come from? Nowhere is there any mention in any of the posts that winnings aren't paid out to the tournament winners, or of any money going towards another game. Not to mention it has absolutely zero bearing on points calculation.
I was responding to BG's perceived slight and showing he doesn't actually lose anything. He really doesn't even lose bragging rights since he could say "I went to 5 games, won them all, but didn't win the prize because of low attendance. And it doesn't have zero bearing on scoring; it just wouldn't qualify for the league's required attendance. It would count in every other respect, and he would not be financing someone else playing in a game he was excluded from.

Absolute horseradish. Dr. Neau's points system can be applied to any number of players, unlike your system which assigns points to only the top 7 finishes regardless if you started with 7 players (top 100%) or 700 (top 1%) which limits your system to fieldsizes where "7" would make sense, and if you enter the same buy-in for every game, and "0" for rebuys and add-ons Dr. Neau's formula works perfectly (or you can use the simplified version listed in the OP which leaves those values out entirely).
I've said before our system was intended to evaluate players planing in events with no more than 4 tables. If there were more than 40 players, we'd adjust how many places get points and the points as well. Your statement regarding 700 players is wrong. BTW, mine isn't the only system out there that does this.

Bloody, you keep making statements about my system that are wrong. Wouldn't it be better to say, "What about this scenario?" rather than make assumptions? I'll answer questions, and that's easier than correction wrong assumptions.

Did you test this on any other points system, or is that just your assumption? Did you take into consideration that you can count only the top X results?
No, I didn't test it, but I can look at other examples an see that. We count every game a person plays in. When you eliminate either top or bottom results, you are arbitrarily altering the outcome. In other words, you are making the same kind of value judgment we make in counting them all.

Discussed and debunked before. You can count the top X results only. Problem solved.
We count them all. If you did count the top 7, you aren't comparing how they did in games they appeared in. You are rewarding those who attended more games by tossing their worst games. Our season is only 12 games. I think it's a very short time to evaluate players. Tossing out results means not all the games count. That might work if you have a lot more games, but even then, throwing out games is arbitrary.

Categorically untrue, as demonstrated by Sammy sitting out after winning the first game. (And don't start with the 7 game minimum, the same logic applies there as well if you've built up a lead over the first 7 games).
The example you provided had Sammy Farha playing in all 10 games. I've stated several times his sitting out would make him ineligible for not being there enough, but it would also keep him from accumulating more points. He would wind up with the top average, but low overall totals.

Debunked before.
Haven't seen any debunking. I ran tests using our system to see. In our system, what I said above is correct.

At least BG would be a contender for the top prize in the other points systems.
Not necessarily. If they required that he attend 7 to win, he would not, regardless of the points system used and regardless of how well he did within that point system. Do y'all seriously think the league should bend the rules? That's like a guy saying, after losing his 4 of a kind to a straight flush, "We should split the pot. It's not fair to have me out after a great hand like that. I made my four of a kind on the flop; he caught his straight flush on the river on an inside straight draw. He got lucky." If they let you stay, they'll likely offer you some cheese to go with that whine.

Described before, and options offered before.
Reference please.

Then you didn't look hard enough, or didn't know of or thought about the possibility of counting only the top X scores.
I've said this several times. I didn't want a system that counted only some scores.

So you're saying that the other points systems don't work because you don't trust the persons hosting them? And again, where is this real money award coming from? And how does that have anything to do with how the points are calculated? You think a league has any viability for a next season if the host pulled a stunt like that? And how is that not true for your system as well if you're leading in the points after game 11?

I don't think I need to mention again that you can count only the top X results...

I said nothing of the sort! I pointed out any attendance based system helps the host. In my second sentence, I was specifically considering our system! I agree a host might win but no one might come again. I'm curious. What in your mind is a good reason for the host canceling a game? And since you don't think you need to mention you could count only the top X results, I probably don't need to mention I don't want to do that.

And neither do any of the other systems if there are no rebuys and if the buy-in is the same for all games.
Not true if someone who re-buys wins. Unless you have some way of not counting the win, which you didn't mention.

Instead you award escalating points for the top 7 only (an arbitrary number), and you award points for making the final table (even if you're only playing at one table to begin with), and points for winning money (which only the players in the top 7 can win), and for finishing first (which already gets you the most points), and you award points for receiving points.
Weighing means you might count some things more because you believe they are more important. Choosing 7 is no more arbitrary than any other value judgment you make. One value judgment is making the top award contingent on cumulative total, which rewards those who attend the most. Another value judgment is counting only top X performances. The fact is, it is ALL value judgments, or arbitrary if you prefer the term.

Most (or all?) of these you're calculating twice, like having a box of 20 apples of which 12 are red, and a box of 10 apples of which 2 are red, and calculating the percentage of red apples as (60% + 20%) / 2 = 40%, and 14/30 = 46.7%, and then averaging them out to get to 43.3% red apples.

Absurd example, but since you brought it up...

If you were trying to determine in a given box of apples, what percentage of them are red, 40% would be the mean between the two boxes. That's accurate, but it's not the same as saying 40% of the apples are red. If the question was what percent of the apples are red, the correct answer would be 14/30. But what they are measuring is two completely different things. Your last scenario of averaging two things that don't measure the same thing makes about as much sense as putting a screen door on a submarine.

Percentages of the total allow us to compare two players to each other, and to all other players for that matter. If A got 30% of the total points while B got only 25%, their point scores would carry that same ratio. If A got his in 3 games and B in 2 games, which one is the better player?

Bloody, if A played in 9 games, and B played in 6, and the league required 7 games to qualify, how does that affect your answer? It all gets back to what you are trying to measure, and why you are trying to measure it.

Now I'm done too. You're not responding to what I wrote. You're responding to what's in your head.

I've explained that the comparisons were made between games with equal buy-ins and no rebuys, yet you keep coming back with "but because of the different buy-ins and the rebuys...".

I've told you that payouts, final games, or a league prize have nothing to do with the way points are calculated, but you keep saying that's what the points systems are based on.

You're saying that counting only the top X scores for a season is arbitrary, but awarding points to the top 7 players and not counting results if you attended fewer than 7 games isn't.

This is like having a discussion with a Jehovah's witness. It's pointless because nothing I say registers. All I get in response are falsehoods, excuses, contradicting statements and tangents trying to obfuscate the discussion. You're not interested in comparing points systems, and you're not interested in improving your own system. All you're interested in is convincing everyone that your system is the best one out there.

I tried real hard to keep an open mind and be unbiased, but as everyone can clearly tell I'm getting more and more frustrated with every response, and I have to stop right now before I post something I'll regret.

Other than the arguing this has been a very helpful thread.

Thanks for the geeking out Bloody! It helps me to see how I can change my scoring a bit for my new league.

I love this thread so much it hurts. I try to have these conversations with friends and everyones eyes just glaze over and they start drooling. So few people can truly geek out with something like this.

I only see one issue with some of these formulas. With my league attendance is pretty spotty, most people travel a lot so it's rare to get someone around for a majority of the games. I had to take a really simplified version of TexRex's system in order to minimize that and take an average instead of a point total. I also have a 4 game minimum out of 10 games in order to qualify for prizes and a main event with a 2x buy in that you have to be a member of the league to play in. Bloody I might toss you some stats to see what the results look like after pushing them through the different systems just to see how it turns out if you don't mind, you could even throw my system in the mix. This is awesome.

CoolHand, I'm curious how you determine who members are. We no longer have members per se based on the way we were doing it.

We value total and per game average equally in our system. We don't do that because we think it's the best way to do it; we do it because we aren't sure of the proper weighting between the two.

Requiring 4 of 10 will put more of a premium on per game performance. I think it's very hard to judge poker players on samples as small as even 10 to 12 games. However, I think few leagues are prepared to go longer than a year, and many games are monthly. In those cases, there is no choice. And some leagues end their season with a special game, which may further limit the time to evaluate. So you do the best you can. One reason we consider so many factors is to have more information to judge with small sample sizes.

One of the things I wanted to avoid is the feeling players get when attendance is a large part of the score, which tends to happen with additive scoring systems. Members simply pay a $10 fee to join the 'league.' That money goes into the same prize pool as does a percentage of their buy-ins to add to a big game at the end of the season. Having a small sample size to get a players average means that even some of the players who can't come every game can still compete for best player. I have serious issues with attendance so I have to keep the 'minimums' low.

Do any of you folks know how to make an Excel or Google Spreadsheet formula to count a players top 5 scores only?

I have a spreadsheet which calculates a players total score across all the games he/she has attended and then calculates an average but instead of an average score/game I want to add up the players' top 5 scores in order to get their 'official' score.

Any help would be much appreciated, I have no experience with spreadsheets.

Right now this is how I get the total score: =SUMIF(A22:A, "Bud",I22:I)

Do any of you folks know how to make an Excel or Google Spreadsheet formula to count a players top 5 scores only?

I have a spreadsheet which calculates a players total score across all the games he/sh

I think I ranked each players scores (using LARGE) in separate columns, then only took the sum of the first x rows of the sorted columns. Your formula seems close.

I'd need to see the format in which you are tracking scores to offer any real help beyond that....

Last edited:
I'm working on something similar to this: =sum(LARGE(VLOOKUP("Greg", A21:A,I:I), 4))

But it's not working :(

Your syntaxes are wrong.

For VLOOKUP you need to enter (Value,Range,Column number,TRUE/FALSE). Your range is a single column, so the column number can never be more than 1, and you're entering a range for the column number which has fractions.

The LARGE formula needs a range and an integer. You're entering a value (through the VLOOKUP formula) instead of a range, and with the integer 4 it'll look for the 4th largest value only. The sum of a single value is always the same value.

In the sheet I sent you the calculations you are looking for are already performed on the second tab, so you can use those results for the "Input" tab.
For the top 5 results, just use ='Points per player'!J3 for "Bud", and ='Points per player'!J4 for "Greg" (etc.).
For the top 4 results use ='Points per player'!L3 etc.

For some reason those tables don't manage to translate to google docs when I load it. I get a ton of Parse errors. I am going to put Excel on my laptop sometime this week and I will see if that works better but in the meantime I was hoping to come up with a clever way to count a players top 4 or 5 scores using lookup and Large but apparently that won't work.

My idea was to search vertically for a name, get the value from column 9 (or column i) and add up the top 4 or 5 values from that search. I understand that the system I emailed you was wonky because I have my values on a vertical basis instead of a horizontal one (I will fix that next year) but I am just trying to come up with something that works. One of the interesting things I noticed in looking at all the comparisons is that if I take the value of the top 5 games I get results that rank the players fairly and it doesn't take attendance as a super valuable part of the equation which apparently all of the other systems do. I have a player base that tends to travel a lot so they will be turned off by a league that rewards attendance beyond the minimum required to be eligible for prizes. That system also rewards players who show up all the time because they can work to get a best top 5 scores and improve their chances.

It's not perfect but it is the best of what i've come up with!

Cool, you can always sort manually top to bottom performances for each player and select which scores will count.

What you described above puts a premium on attendance though. For example, let's take A and B in 10 events with up to 10 players, with the top 3 spots the money positions.

A enters all 10 and scores in finish 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. Average finish = 4.8.
B enters 4 events and scores in finish 1, 2, 3, and 4 (or 10). Average finish = 2.5 or 4.0.
In most cumulative point systems not considering per game performance, A will be the better player simply because by virtue of the fact that he entered more events, he will accumulate more points. But which one is the better player? By taking only A's top 4 finishes, average finish would be 2.25, or more than twice as good as his average.

Of course, this is a single simple example, but it illustrates the problem of counting only the best performances. It puts a premium on attendance because the more you enter, the better your higher performances are likely to be. If you are trying to limit the impact of attendance, this doesn't seem to be the way to do it.

An "Average" actually hurts those players willing to come more often because its rare for them to always finish in the top 3 or so, I want to keep it fair for someone who comes every week and plugs away to improve their score and someone who can only come the minimum. This seems to take that all into account, the straight average hurts those players who always come and most of the other systems reward attendance too much for my liking. I realize that I can do this manually but I like putting a nice neat little formula in there to do it for me, then I can change it next year to maybe top 4, 5, 6, or 7 scores without having to replug in everything manually.

It's a "wish list" item so we'll see if it is actually possible.

Here's something you might try in Googledocs (not sure if it'll work because I'm not familiar with Googledocs myself).

Do the following:

=SUM(LARGE((VLOOKUP(Name,Range for game 1,colnr,FALSE),VLOOKUP(Name,Range for game 2,colnr,FALSE),...,VLOOKUP(Name,Range for game 10,colnr,FALSE)),{1,2,3,4}))

obviously you need to replace "..." with the other 7 VLOOKUPs for the other 7 game ranges. Make sure you extend the range to include the column with the points, and you enter the correct column number for the points relative to the player name column. Use a $ sign between the column and row designators so you lock the rows when copying the formulas.

Take note that there are two parens between LARGE and the first VLOOKUP, and two parens after the last FALSE. If you use only one it won't work.

To make it easier on yourself don't use "Greg", but use the cell that contains the players name. That makes it easier to copy/paste the formula to other rows. So for Greg you'd use A4.
Range is A$x:I$y (that's a capital i, not a lowercase L) where x and y are the first and last row numbers per game.
colnr is 9.
You use "FALSE" to get an exact match, and not an approximate one (which would be TRUE).

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom