Latest Build Progress: 56" Round, 5" raised lighted rail, 5" racetrack (1 Viewer)

smashr

Sitting Out
Reaction score
About halfway through my most recent build -- for my neighbor. A slightly smaller version of my personal table, this time a 56" round with a 5" rail and 5" racetrack. Rail is raised ~1.5" with a Chanman suited diffuser.

Main innovation this time around is adding USB ports in the base sheet to be connected to a USB charger for phones.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Watching with GREAT interest!! This is pretty much exactly what I want....except 60".

My personal table is a 60" round very similar to this: , just a 6" rail instead of 5" and will be different color scheme.

I will say that 60" can be a touch large for a person with average arm length to scoop a pot from the center of the table. The upside of 60" is that you can legitimately sit 8 around it, whereas ~7 will probably be the max for this 56". We debated long and hard about either 6 cupholder or 8, but ultimately decided upon 6 since it would be odd to put 7 and 8 would have been clearly too much.

My personal table is a 60" round very similar to this: , just a 6" rail instead of 5" and will be different color scheme.

I will say that 60" can be a touch large for a person with average arm length to scoop a pot from the center of the table. The upside of 60" is that you can legitimately sit 8 around it, whereas ~7 will probably be the max for this 56". We debated long and hard about either 6 cupholder or 8, but ultimately decided upon 6 since it would be odd to put 7 and 8 would have been clearly too much.
Damn that's pretty much perfection in my humble opinion!! Very nice job!! :tup:

I have an oversized octagon table, 68", that requires help to scoop chips and push cards. But I need a table that could squeeze 10 in a crunch, and I personally HATE oval tables. Plus, 8 is very comfortable, and I have a couple players that think it's their right to man spread into everybody else's space...bastards...LOL!!

I will likely go with 2 60" tables when I finish my basement. Anything smaller than that gets a bit cramped for me.

Now I cant decide if I want a round or rectangular table. What a great looking finished round table. Awesome craftsmanship.

@smashr

True amateur question. How/where did you get plywood wide enough to cut a 56" or 60" round table? Did you join pieces together?

@Seeking Alpha Social Club -- So both tables are actually cut from 5x5 Baltic Birch plywood. I'm lucky enough to have a hardwoods specialty store just a few miles from my house that can order it upon request, but I suspect any lumber yard should be able to find a supplier. It's all metric, so you can get it in 3mm-18mm widths in increments of 3mm. I use two 15mm sheets and one 9mm sheet so the 9mm sheet + 1/4" foam is about even to the 15mm sheet which is the racetrack.

One nice thing is that this Baltic Birch is way nicer than the crappy Chinese ply you find at home depot. Made a oval table out of that once and I regretted it.

@Seeking Alpha Social Club -- So both tables are actually cut from 5x5 Baltic Birch plywood. I'm lucky enough to have a hardwoods specialty store just a few miles from my house that can order it upon request, but I suspect any lumber yard should be able to find a supplier. It's all metric, so you can get it in 3mm-18mm widths in increments of 3mm. I use two 15mm sheets and one 9mm sheet so the 9mm sheet + 1/4" foam is about even to the 15mm sheet which is the racetrack.

One nice thing is that this Baltic Birch is way nicer than the crappy Chinese ply you find at home depot. Made a oval table out of that once and I regretted it.
Smashr, did you finish the one for your neighbor? Interested to see the final result!

Where in Virginia are you? It's been a few years since I tried, but I couldn't find the 5x5 baltic birch ANYWHERE local to me. It's the only reason I haven't built the round table I want . I'd be willing to travel a bit to get it.

Is $65 a usual price for 5x5 ply?

I use 15mm for the base sheet, which is $58 from that supplier. Last time I bought crappy "good" 4x8 ply from Home Depot for an oval table, I recall paying $50-60 for a 3/4" sheet. So these prices for 5x5 struck me as a reasonable premium. I will say they are very nice pieces of wood. The top layers are very thick so can accommodate some nice sanding, where as the HD ply I was worried about taking too much off the top and getting into the crappy center parts.

http://www.viennahardwood.com/

So sadly not too local to VA Beach :)

Vienna isn't local to me? Ha. Seriously, I'd drive to Vienna and back on a WORKDAY, and plan it around avoiding rush hour....

Looking forward to the finished product. I was planning on a round build a few years ago, but couldn't find the right wood. It's about time for a new build, though...

Very nice work! I love how you minter the USB cables. What tools did you use to make that cut-out?

Router, Drill and Chisel?

holy cow, just seeing this now. Looks fantastic. Nice job

Looks like a nice size. I have been contemplating a 60" round build, but using 54" whisper, so was thinking of going down to 58".

Very nice work! I love how you minter the USB cables. What tools did you use to make that cut-out?

Router, Drill and Chisel?

Mostly drill to make the cutouts actually. I specifically selected USB cables with round sides for the plugs, so you can see in one of the pics above where I marked a center hole on the same radius. Did two of those per plug, and increased diameter drill bits until it matched the usb plug. Then router on the top side of the base sheet.

Looks like a nice size. I have been contemplating a 60" round build, but using 54" whisper, so was thinking of going down to 58".

This is symphony classic vinyl from YAT, and I will say stretching the single piece over a 56" raised rail was about as much as we could physically do. If it had been 58", still with the raised rail, I'm not convinced we would have been able to do it.

Great build thread. 5x5 is nice, I've never worked with that dimension.
Where did you get those folding legs? They look like they lock open/close too?

https://www.tablelegsonline.com/click-folding-leg-set-click-set.html

Obviously have not attached them yet, but they feel super solid. Yes, they click both open and closed. A bit pricey of course, but should be solid.

This is symphony classic vinyl from YAT, and I will say stretching the single piece over a 56" raised rail was about as much as we could physically do. If it had been 58", still with the raised rail, I'm not convinced we would have been able to do it.
Thanks for the reply, good to know.

Pretty sure they are for handles.
Hmm. Taking out that much material would really weaken the structure for handles.

edit:
Nevermind. You're right it's for the handles. They screw in on the perimeter of the cut-out - so no issue with weakening the table. Very cool handles by the way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom