Label question for chipping experts (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I am building a solids set and I have already sent the chips to @Josh Kifer for milling. I am in the process of finalizing the design of the labels with Gear and am curious as to your thoughts. Do you prefer white labels or darker labels for solid chips? I have attached a mock-up of the color label and am wanting your thoughts... The solid colors that I am using are blue (royal?) Day Green, Hot Pink, and Purple. I know they probably aren't everyone's favorite colors, but they have significance to me... That said, Blue or White (or other?) labels?

Thanks!! VW

1603991600695.png

In general, I prefer darker labels except when it comes to solids. I think that solids should either have white labels or labels which match the color of the chip (to continue the solid theme)

I have a preference—not generally shared, but there are a few of us!—for labels/inlays which use the Chip’s base color, or play off of it. Especially with solids.

An inlay or label color that matches the base has a clean, strong, uncluttered look. One that is slightly darker than the base can add depth, emphasizing that it is inset, like a pond in the landscape.

Not crazy about white labels in general (except on white chips), with a few exceptions. Can live with black ones, having come around on them thanks to the Jack Detroits, though I think they work better as a contrast on lighter/brighter chips than on dark ones.

The blue you've used for your label (approx a Pantone 654C) is going to have severe issues that negate what's known in color theory as "compound harmony". You usually need to add colors from either side of a complementary color pairing to soften contrast, and a couple of combinations here will thwart that. It's one of the reasons edgespots are so helpful -- they allow you bring in Triadic or Tetradic themes that create more harmony.

Your best option is to do what @Taghkanic suggests above, which would create a monochromatic construct, per chip -- which is easier for the brain to process. The other option is to use white or black as the base, depending on the mood you're trying to evoke. Given the colors, either should work well. You could then bring hues of the solid into the denom, for example, to tie the label with the chip.

I sold the white and gray chips but the rest remain

View attachment 563961
Those colors are amazing man!!! Great set-up!!!!

one cool thing you might want to do is include that hex part of the design somehow.

the fact that you have the blue chip kinda makes it so that the blue chip label would dissapear in a way the others chips don’t

overall, I would probably do a light grey background with blue font and gold accents, would fully go with your color scheme and all the labels would pop in the same way.

Last month I did some messing around with label designs, just to get a better feel for it. These all have edgespots, so it’s not a direct help to your project, but it speaks somewhat to the base color question:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/messing-with-inlay-label-designs.62342/

I’d also suggest just spending some time browsing in the gallery portion of the site. Whenever a chip catches your eye, dump the image in a folder.

Then once you have collected enough, take a look at your folder as a group. You may find that you have some unconscious preferences which will become more obvious through that process.

I’d also suggest just spending some time browsing in the gallery portion of the site. Whenever a chip catches your eye, dump the image in a folder.

Then once you have collected enough, take a look at your folder as a group. You may find that you have some unconscious preferences which will become more obvious through that process.
^ This is a great tip for determining one's latent preferences. Discovering what types of chips actually 'catch your eye' -- and why -- can be remarkably revealing.

I did this for a couple of years (long ago), just capturing chip photos and storing them in folders per denomination. I later also sorted them by color. The results were astonishing, and made later chip searches and subsequent purchases much easier (and long-lasting).

^ This is a great tip for determining one's latent preferences. Discovering what types of chips actually 'catch your eye' -- and why -- can be remarkably revealing.

I did this for a couple of years (long ago), just capturing chip photos and storing them in folders per denomination. I later also sorted them by color. The results were astonishing, and made later chip searches and subsequent purchases much easier (and long-lasting).
I've been on that mission off and on all day!

Same here. To help define what I want to do for the next group buy, I’ve been grabbing screenshots of colors/patterns for each denominations I like the best.

After looking a lot, I'm leaning strongly toward white inlaid labels that are shaped something like my avatar... I'm waiting on a mock up but will share when I have it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom