Krafticus on the West Coast - what should I not miss? (1 Viewer)

krafticus

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
The Krafticus clan (my wife and I plus 3 kids - 20, 16, 13) will be flying into LAX on Sunday 7/16 and staying a week. We’ve got an AirBnB in Anaheim, but only plan on hitting Disney 1 day (Tuesday 7/18 — my wife’s birthday). Friday, hitting an Angels game, but outside of that, what should we do, see, and/or eat?

I’d like to check out the Peterson Museum. Maybe a day drive to San Diego?

Anyone in the area that might want to meet up for a beer or food, let me know. I’m sure I can squeeze a night in. Won’t be able to play any poker.

Thanks

Mark

The Krafticus clan (my wife and I plus 3 kids - 20, 16, 13) will be flying into LAX on Sunday 7/16 and staying a week. We’ve got an AirBnB in Anaheim, but only plan on hitting Disney 1 day (Tuesday 7/18 — my wife’s birthday). Friday, hitting an Angels game, but outside of that, what should we do, see, and/or eat?

I’d like to check out the Peterson Museum. Maybe a day drive to San Diego?

Anyone in the area that might want to meet up for a beer or food, let me know. I’m sure I can squeeze a night in. Won’t be able to play any poker.

Thanks

Mark
If you do plan to go to San Diego, Phil's BBQ is a pretty good spot to get a bite to eat. I'll always recommend In-N-Out too, it's always nice to try it out if you haven't. In regards to activities what kinda stuff are you into? Will you be going To LA at any time during the trip besides landing in LAX?

Natural history museum is a pretty cool place to take younger kids, dinosaur bones, a few interactive exhibits. Younger ones usually love it

Gjusta in Venice Beach-ish area for brunch/brekkie/lunch.

In-N-Out right outside the airport (get a double-double animal style with chopped chiles and whole grilled onion. You're welcome).

Gjelina in Abbot Kinney for dinner. Rezzies required.

Drive to San Diego. Go to the Zoo in Balboa Park or do their Safari Park in Escondido (North of San Diego). Go hit up Petco Park and see a Padres game, then spend the evening in Gaslamp Quarter (Petco Park is in it). You can also visit Little Italy - Saturday's they have a farmer's market and there are plenty of great food options. You can very easily do the Zoo, walk around Balboa Park, see the Padres, and do Gaslamp all in one day/

Second (third?) Korean BBQ. If you're making a trip to the Petersen Automotive Museum, maybe a touristy breakfast/lunch at the L.A. Farmer's Market first, then after the museum visit (and maybe some other touristy stuff in the area--La Brea Tar Pits?--if you're not hungry yet), then make your way to Koreatown for dinner.

So many choices there too. I'd say Quarters if you'd like to try more variety of meats since the portions are smaller, or Soowon Galbi for a more traditional charcoal experience, or Ham Ji Park who are more known for their spare ribs but also has a table-top grill.

Last edited:
Perfect day in SD is early lunch (good ideas in this thread), going to the USS Midway (awesome self guided tour), dinner at the Korean BBQ joints, game at Petco, and late bites drinks in the Gaslight district.

When we go to LA, we like to spend much of our time in Newport Beach. It has a great vibe.

SD: Damn. One of the pains in the ass about getting old is that you have so many enjoyable places to look back on. So a thread like this comes along, and I have to find out now that our favorite place in SD -- Croce's, on Fifth Ave. in the Gaslight -- closed in early 2014.

And of course the Palomar card room, where I used to play, is long gone.

The Fish Market, right below the Midway Museum, used to be another favorite -- at least it's still there.

And if you want to take a look at how the other half lives -- and you (and I) probably can't afford to -- La Jolla is just beautiful!

If you are going to do any museum-y things, I recommend the Getty Museum. Cool architecture on the building and a nice downtempo getaway from the hustle of L.A.

If you are going brewery/beer leaning, I recommend the Breuery ( https://www.thebruery.com/ ) if you like barrel aged beasts as well as Bottle Logic ( https://bottlelogic.com/ ) who just make really good beers.

Enjoy! I have some friends who live there and I usually rely on their knowledge when visiting, but these are places the tend to take me to when I'm there.

I’ve read some of the suggestions and while I can’t say they’re wrong - it ultimately comes down to what you and the family enjoy.

Unless you like spending hours on the freeway (the 405 and the 5) - in terrible traffic - then I’d avoid driving to LA from OC (Orange Co) for any one thing/activity.

If you do… just make an entire day out of it.
If you like cars - then Petersons’ is is a must see. Right across the street is LACMA (art museum). Just go west a few miles and you’re in Beverly Hills - keep going west, Belair - W.LA (UCLA… and a local in-n out too). Santa Monica (Pier/beach) up the coast is Malibu - go to Paradise Cove.

But remember you have beach options there close to Anaheim too. Surf City (Huntington), Newport, Balboa and Laguna are better than the LA beaches.

San Diego is a blast. The zoo is a must. Balboa park. Take in a Padres game or just fine on 6th st. The gas lamp district. I think there’s a battle ship museum in the harbor too.

Have a free day - take the boat to Catalina island for the day.

Lots to do. Enjoy.

what should we ... eat?

Stuff that's close to you

Diner- Shorty'z- Truman fries

1687627245976.jpeg

High end sushi- Sushi Murasaki
1687625399556.jpeg

Boba- OMOMO

1687625476273.jpeg

Strawberry picking - Tanaka Farms

1687626058456.jpeg

Within 1h driving distance

Ramen - Tsujita Annex. Get a tsukemen.

1687625573364.jpeg

KBBQ- Genwa

1687625893519.jpeg

SD

Tacos El Gordo, go to the Chula Vista location, order adobada tacos

1687626369011.jpeg

More ramen- Menya Ultra (Michelin star, you should queue before they're open)

1687626448945.jpeg

Dessert- MNGO- get the combo dessert plate. mango sticky rice is the best

1687626538233.jpeg

If you have a day I recommend a drive down the PCH to San Diego, and back, and you'll be rewarded with incredible vista's. Visit La Jolla, one of the most beautiful places on earth, in my humble opinion, and stop at the Ellen Browning Scripps park to watch Sea Lions. I could have stayed all day watching them play, oblivious to those watching. A great natural treat.

The espresso at Better Daze coffee was fantastic.

If you have a day I recommend a drive down the PCH to San Diego, and back, and you'll be rewarded with incredible vista's. Visit La Jolla, one of the most beautiful places on earth, in my humble opinion, and stop at the Ellen Browning Scripps park to watch Sea Lions. I could have stayed all day watching them play, oblivious to those watching. A great natural treat.

The espresso at Better Daze coffee was fantastic.
I second this, it’s a great drive

The Space Shuttle Endeavour is at the California ScienCenter next to the Coliseum.
IMG_6344.jpeg

Endeavour is very cool to see!

If going to SD I always suggest Kansas City BBQ the Top Gun bar. Food is fine but worth a stop for the nostalgia.

Hollywood and Highland is obviously a tourist spot so if you’ve never been I would suggest that.

Here’s what I always tell people. It’s LA. There’s literally everything. Have a favorite movie? There’s probably a filming location of it somewhere. The Cobra Kai dojo is in NoHo. Marty McFly’s house is super close to that too. Doc Browns house is in Pasadena. The Father of the Bride House is as well and it’s right across the street from the Mad Men house. The Nightmare on Elm Street house is near Hollywood/Highland as well. The list is literally endless.

While in Anaheim you could even book a dinner at Medieval Times where they filmed The Cable Guy ha.
1687656638263.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom